Mousetrap Vehicle C

Wabbit
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by Wabbit »

jlordhe wrote:Okay, then, I probably was looking at the expensive ones or at a ripoff website.
There's a huge range in prices with the high end being on the order of several thousands of dollars. That's not to say that the super expensive one's are low value or "ripoffs," they're just intended for different applications and come with certain luxuries that likely aren't needed by your typical Scioly competitor.
DarthBuilder
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by DarthBuilder »

How do I adjust the banebot hubs to a 1/4 inch? On their website it says that it can be adjusted.
Deleted
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

DarthBuilder wrote:How do I adjust the banebot hubs to a 1/4 inch? On their website it says that it can be adjusted.
I've tried adjust the hubs themselves, but it's very difficult to do with precision, so I wouldn't bother. What you'd do is drill the hubs with a 1/4in bit, but it's really hard to do evenly, even with a drill press.

I'd lathe down your axles to 6mm instead, which is much easier to do with a pretty decent degree of precision.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
DarthBuilder

Post by DarthBuilder »

antoine_ego wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote:How do I adjust the banebot hubs to a 1/4 inch? On their website it says that it can be adjusted.
I've tried adjust the hubs themselves, but it's very difficult to do with precision, so I wouldn't bother. What you'd do is drill the hubs with a 1/4in bit, but it's really hard to do evenly, even with a drill press.

I'd lathe down your axles to 6mm instead, which is much easier to do with a pretty decent degree of precision.

Ok thanks,
Is there anything I should worry about? I think I’m going to use 2 6mm axles for the front and back. The back rondo is 6mm CF and the front maybe aluminum or brass?
Deleted
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

DarthBuilder wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:

Ok thanks,
Is there anything I should worry about? I think I’m going to use 2 6mm axles for the front and back. The back rondo is 6mm CF and the front maybe aluminum or brass?
Both sound good. I personally don't like CF axles, since I find it easier to work with aluminum, but should definitely work.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
DarthBuilder

Post by DarthBuilder »

DarthBuilder wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:

Ok thanks,
Is there anything I should worry about? I think I’m going to use 2 6mm axles for the front and back. The back rod is 6mm CF and the front maybe aluminum or brass?
Ok thanks. I have more questions but I’m going to ask later if I still have trouble answering them.
Deleted
DarthBuilder

Post by DarthBuilder »

Sorry for the double post,

Can someone recommend and link a 6mm threaded rod? I can’t really find a decent one
Deleted
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

DarthBuilder wrote:Sorry for the double post,

Can someone recommend and link a 6mm threaded rod? I can’t really find a decent one
I can't really find any aluminum m6 threaded rods, but that's probably because I haven't looked too far for them. I know that Grainger has lots of steel threaded rods that you can find here: https://www.grainger.com/category/threa ... pwZ1yzy9em

Otherwise, I believe what Antoine is saying that you should buy quarter inch threaded rods, and then lathe them down. One way to do this is to attache the rod to a drill, as if it were a bit, and use sandpaper to wear it down. You should obviously be careful not to overdo it, so check continuously with calipers if you used this method.

Another method that I might be trying this year is buying a rod of whatever size I need, and (threading) it myself. I've never used this website before, and I hadn't seen it until I researched online for this question is this: https://www.metricmetal.com/product/alu ... -bar-6060/. Obviously, I can't attest to its reliability, but if you are interested, it's right there.

My turn to ask a question:
I'm thinking of using an m4 rod, since that would allow me to standardize the bearing size for my entire vehicle. Does this make sense? Do you guys think it would work, or would it be too weak? If it would be too weak, do you think it would make sense to use a steel or brass m4 rod instead? Thanks
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
DarthBuilder

Post by DarthBuilder »

PM2017 wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote:Sorry for the double post,

I can't really find any aluminum m6 threaded rods, but that's probably because I haven't looked too far for them. I know that Grainger has lots of steel threaded rods that you can find here: https://www.grainger.com/category/threa ... pwZ1yzy9em

Otherwise, I believe what Antoine is saying that you should buy quarter inch threaded rods, and then lathe them down. One way to do this is to attache the rod to a drill, as if it were a bit, and use sandpaper to wear it down. You should obviously be careful not to overdo it, so check continuously with calipers if you used this method.

Another method that I might be trying this year is buying a rod of whatever size I need, and (threading) it myself. I've never used this website before, and I hadn't seen it until I researched online for this question is this: https://www.metricmetal.com/product/alu ... -bar-6060/. Obviously, I can't attest to its reliability, but if you are interested, it's right there.

My turn to ask a question:
I'm thinking of using an m4 rod, since that would allow me to standardize the bearing size for my entire vehicle. Does this make sense? Do you guys think it would work, or would it be too weak? If it would be too weak, do you think it would make sense to use a steel or brass m4 rod instead? Thanks
Okay, i understand now. Thanks Antoine and PM.
Deleted
harsh108

Post by harsh108 »

I know this is kinda late but i don't get the steering part or why we have to do it, primarily because of the track not being released yet...or has it? Please help me.

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”