Mousetrap Vehicle C

chrroh
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by chrroh »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the traditional breaking system (regardless of which axle it's on) not work this season?
2014 - 2018 Science Olympiad Alumni - Park View '14 | Niles West '18
Illinois State 2018 - 2nd Dynamic Planet | 3rd Experimental Design
Wabbit
Been thanked: 0

Post by Wabbit »

chrroh wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the traditional breaking system (regardless of which axle it's on) not work this season?
It's been discussed in some of the earlier comments in this thread. The short version of it is that a traditional breaking system with some simple modifications still works with this season's rules.
DarthBuilder

Post by DarthBuilder »

This is probably a really bad question but I’m gong to ask it just for help.

So I have a 1/4 inch rod and am planning on getting the bane bot 2 7/8 wheels but I’m not sure what size hub to get for it? This is probably a bad question haha.
Deleted
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

DarthBuilder wrote:This is probably a really bad question but I’m gong to ask it just for help.

So I have a 1/4 inch rod and am planning on getting the bane bot 2 7/8 wheels but I’m not sure what size hub to get for it? This is probably a bad question haha.
You can use Banebots T81 2 7/8 in wheels or T40 2 7/8 wheels.

Unfortunately the T40s are out of stock, and they have been for some time now. If you'd gotten them, I'd recommend you get the 6mm hubs (they only come in metric) and lathe your axles down to 6mm at the tips.

For the T81s, you can get the 1/4 in hubs. Note the T81 hubs tend to be substantially heavier, 14g/hub for T81 to 4g/hub for T40. Further, the wheels themselves are much heavier: 62g/wheel for T81s to 23g/wheel for the T40s. If you were to get these, I'd get the 1/4in hubs since they fit with your axle.

Ultimately, I feel the T81s are not a very good option this year, since if you use even only 2, you add about 150g in wheels. With this much mass in wheels, it's definitely possible that there's simply too much rotational inertia to get the vehicle moving.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
chessbucket

Post by chessbucket »

Is the track at least 2 meters wide as measured from 1 meter to the right to 1 meter to the left of the imaginary line connecting the SP and the CTP? Or is the track at least 2 meters to BOTH sides of the imaginary line connecting the SP and the CTP, meaning it is a total of at least 4m wide?
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

DarthBuilder wrote:This is probably a really bad question but I’m gong to ask it just for help.

1/4 inch is really big, and probably heavy...
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by antoine_ego »

PM2017 wrote:

I used 1/4in rod last year and it worked fine. So long as you select your rod carefully, you can get pretty light axles. Further, since the radius of the axle is pretty small, it doesn't add much rotational inertia, so it doesn't hurt your acceleration too much.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[/b]
DarthBuilder

Post by DarthBuilder »

antoine_ego wrote:
PM2017 wrote:

I used 1/4in rod last year and it worked fine. So long as you select your rod carefully, you can get pretty light axles. Further, since the radius of the axle is pretty small, it doesn't add much rotational inertia, so it doesn't hurt your acceleration too much.
Do you think it would be ok for the rear axle?
Deleted
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by antoine_ego »

DarthBuilder wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
PM2017 wrote: 1/4 inch is really big, and probably heavy...
Do you think it would be ok for the rear axle?
Definitely. You could go smaller, but then you risk flexing, which is much worse in my opinion than weight.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[/b]
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

antoine_ego wrote:
PM2017 wrote:

How much did each axle weigh? Also, what material were they made of?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”