Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by dragonfruit35 »

Sorry to double post, but it’s been a while, so I hope you all don’t mind :D

What would you guys consider to be a “fast” time for the device (let’s say over 8 meters, to keep it simple?) We’ve been working on increasing the speed and acceleration of our car and we’re wondering how it compares to others.
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

dragonfruit35 wrote:Sorry to double post, but it’s been a while, so I hope you all don’t mind :D

What would you guys consider to be a “fast” time for the device (let’s say over 8 meters, to keep it simple?) We’ve been working on increasing the speed and acceleration of our car and we’re wondering how it compares to others.
Under 12 seconds is good (provided a good distance score). I expect on Nationals rules, top teams are in the range of 10 seconds and under 5 cm.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Mp3nguin__
Division: C
State: UT
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mp3nguin__ »

So I was put on this event last minute and my regional is this saturday. It's pretty much finished and doing everything correctly but I wanted to know if using the bottom of a fiberglass fishing rod is legal for my arm (it is 12 inches long). It does not bend/add potentional energy or anything but I am just making sure. It was the only thing I could find in my house and I cannot find any carbon fiber rods in my town lol.

2019 region/state
Mousetrap Vehicle: 4th/5th
Designer Genes: 4th/haven't got scores
Fossils: 3rd/3rd
Experimental Design: 3rd/haven't got scores
Fermi Questions: n/a/haven't got scores
4Head

Post by 4Head »

Mp3nguin__ wrote:So I was put on this event last minute and my regional is this saturday. It's pretty much finished and doing everything correctly but I wanted to know if using the bottom of a fiberglass fishing rod is legal for my arm (it is 12 inches long). It does not bend/add potentional energy or anything but I am just making sure. It was the only thing I could find in my house and I cannot find any carbon fiber rods in my town lol.
It's legal. Even arms that flex are ok if they aren't flexing in the ready to run
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
Mp3nguin__

Post by Mp3nguin__ »

4Head wrote:
Mp3nguin__ wrote:So I was put on this event last minute and my regional is this saturday. It's pretty much finished and doing everything correctly but I wanted to know if using the bottom of a fiberglass fishing rod is legal for my arm (it is 12 inches long). It does not bend/add potentional energy or anything but I am just making sure. It was the only thing I could find in my house and I cannot find any carbon fiber rods in my town lol.
It's legal. Even arms that flex are ok if they aren't flexing in the ready to run
Okay, thank you so much!

2019 region/state
Mp3nguin__

Post by Mp3nguin__ »

Sorry for asking another question but is the Vehicle Target Point for regionals 1-2 meters backwards from the Cup Target point or 1-2 meters forwards from the Starting Point? The rules are not very specific and I am confused. Thanks!

2019 region/state
mnoga
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

Mp3nguin__ wrote:Sorry for asking another question but is the Vehicle Target Point for regionals 1-2 meters backwards from the Cup Target point or 1-2 meters forwards from the Starting Point? The rules are not very specific and I am confused. Thanks!
It is between 1 and 2 meters backwards from the Cup Target point for Regionals as this run at an invitational using Regional Rules illustrates: http://www.lmsal.com/pub/markn/ukiah.mov
MTV<=>Operator
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

cuber wrote:
I proposed this idea earlier in this thread, but I will explain it again. Baisically, the dowel is not fixed to the chasis, but instead a 10cm rack gear. A set of bevel gears transfer rotation from the front wheels 90 degrees to a pinion, which extends the rack as the car travels forward. The dowel touches the cup at first, but extends outward while the car moves straight. This strategy is not practical at nationals because you would need a 50cm rack, but nationals wont be in the cards for me so I tried it. it was not as “easy” to implement as I originally thought, but 3d printed gears do help quite a bit.
I was lucky enough to see your run yesterday at the state competition and I just wanted to congratulate you on first place. The rack gear and moving dowel was a really good idea and you deserved that win.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
cuber
State: NY

Post by cuber »

MTV<=>Operator wrote: I was lucky enough to see your run yesterday at the state competition and I just wanted to congratulate you on first place. The rack gear and moving dowel was a really good idea and you deserved that win.
Thank you! After having a terrible first run, and running the setup clock down to the last second, It was incredibly releaving to see it work that well. I’ll upload a video of the run and pictures of my rack and pinion mechanism if anyone is curious.
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

not sure if this has been asked before. but what defines a extra parts from a separate vehicle, as if you change out every part of a vehicle, is it considered the same vehicle or a new vehicle?

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”