Mousetrap Vehicle C

cuber
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by cuber »

terence.tan wrote:i think that rule 3h just means that some parts of the device cant fall off, so if the dowel is still moving with the device it should be fine.
Thats what I was hoping. Im trying to find something that outlaws shifting the dowel after starting, and aside from the fact that it is not completely in the spirit of the event, I'm drawing a blank. This would make the event trivial, you would just need to retrofit a winning car from last year with 3 gears and a long enough rack atached to the dowel. You could have the teeth of the rack cut off after 10cm so the gears push it out on the way forward, but not on the way back.
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

cuber wrote:
terence.tan wrote:i think that rule 3h just means that some parts of the device cant fall off, so if the dowel is still moving with the device it should be fine.
Thats what I was hoping. Im trying to find something that outlaws shifting the dowel after starting, and aside from the fact that it is not completely in the spirit of the event, I'm drawing a blank. This would make the event trivial, you would just need to retrofit a winning car from last year with 3 gears and a long enough rack atached to the dowel. You could have the teeth of the rack cut off after 10cm so the gears push it out on the way forward, but not on the way back.
I wouldn't call this trivial, so much as potentially doable. This would add a lot of weight to the vehicle, and especially at the National level, having a 50cm moving rack would be rather difficult to implement.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

antoine_ego wrote:
cuber wrote:
I wouldn't call this trivial, so much as potentially doable. This would add a lot of weight to the vehicle, and especially at the National level, having a 50cm moving rack would be rather difficult to implement.
Besides, the curve really isn't too much longer than the straight line distance. And curve is honestly much easier than the rack and pinion method cuber is talking about.

Still, a fun exercise in finding loopholes in rules. That's always fun.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
cuber
Division: C
State: NY

Post by cuber »

antoine_ego wrote: I wouldn't call this trivial, so much as potentially doable. This would add a lot of weight to the vehicle, and especially at the National level, having a 50cm moving rack would be rather difficult to implement.
With access to a 3d printer this is really not that difficult. I’ll report back next week in whether this is a successful tactic. And like i said, I’m in NY and there’s no chance of dethroning Fayettville Manlius or columbia so my only goal is 1st at states
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

antoine_ego wrote:
cuber wrote:
I do not think this is going to be accurate enough for strong performance at the national level. I also agree with Antoine that its going to be more difficult than perfecting a curved trajectory.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
asingh4688

Fit within 40x40 cm???

Post by asingh4688 »

Is this rule of fitting within 40x40 cm a new rule, because last year I competed with a mousetrap vehicle that was about 43 cm in length and never got penalized. The CD wheels make it extend out a little past 40cm, but that portion is not touching the ground for 40 cm, so will I be ok?
PM2017

Re: Fit within 40x40 cm???

Post by PM2017 »

asingh4688 wrote:Is this rule of fitting within 40x40 cm a new rule, because last year I competed with a mousetrap vehicle that was about 43 cm in length and never got penalized. The CD wheels make it extend out a little past 40cm, but that portion is not touching the ground for 40 cm, so will I be ok?
Last year it was 50 x 50. Also, you can fit it in diagonally. However, the portion that is not touching the ground does indeed count as part of the wheel, so it must fit inside the 40 x 40 "box."
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Fit within 40x40 cm???

Post by dragonfruit35 »

asingh4688 wrote:Is this rule of fitting within 40x40 cm a new rule, because last year I competed with a mousetrap vehicle that was about 43 cm in length and never got penalized. The CD wheels make it extend out a little past 40cm, but that portion is not touching the ground for 40 cm, so will I be ok?
Yes, the wheelbase rule has changed (I think it might have been 50x40 max dimensions before). Are you asking if you can use the same vehicle as last year? If so, that might not be in your best interest unless you know that it can be propelled for > 8m.
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
BadSciOly-er

Post by BadSciOly-er »

I just want to make sure:
1) the wheels can be CD's
2) the wooden dowel perpindicular to the ground can be anywhere on the vehicle since it's just used as the vehicles singular location
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

BadSciOly-er wrote:I just want to make sure:
1) the wheels can be CD's
2) the wooden dowel perpindicular to the ground can be anywhere on the vehicle since it's just used as the vehicles singular location
1. They can be, though they are better options.
2. It almost definitely has to be at the front of the vehicle, since the cup must be touching the dowel at the start, and since you want to drop the cup off, you can't have more things in front of it.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”