Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by DarthBuilder »

Things2do wrote:
Wabbit wrote:
sciencecat42 wrote:So I just built my first prototype but am experiencing some issues particularly with the axles. I'm using 1/4" threaded rods as recommended, but the issue is that as they spin they will actually rotate like a screw in the axle holes, so then the car will become misaligned and the wheels will hit the side of the car. How do I prevent this?

Also, I'm currently using fishing line for the drive string, is that the best option? My fishing line stretches a little so I'm not sure if that's bad or not.
Are you using bearings in your axel holes? They will reduce the amount of screwage. Also, I would recommend securing your wheels to your axel on both sides with nuts (ny-lock nuts if you want to get really fancy). That way, when some side to side slipping of the axel inevitably does happen, it will be only those nuts that come into contact with the bearings rather than the entire wheel, which will cause very little friction.

Fishing line should work fine/I've seen a bunch of teams use it. I was also experiencing some issues with mild stretching last year so I eventually switched over to some thinish string that I had lying around and that seems to have solved the problem. Experiment. See what works.
I use braided Kevlar fishing line, and it doesn't stretch for me. My rod bends, though... As for the screwage, do you have any tubing the proper size to snuggly fit over your threaded rod? That's what I've done.

I also use braided kevlar fishing line since this strong and never stretches. As for the wheel and axle problem use something to hold it in place like the nut lovks as suggested above.
Deleted
cheese
Division: C

Post by cheese »

Is there a certain brand people are going with for mousetraps? Or does it not really matter as long as they provide enough force?
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage
Things2do
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Things2do »

cheese wrote:Is there a certain brand people are going with for mousetraps? Or does it not really matter as long as they provide enough force?
I go by force, not brand. I found a basket full of unopened 4 packs for a dollar each, and they've worked fine. They're good, and they were cheap. The 2 qualities of a good material.
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
sciencecat42

Post by sciencecat42 »

DarthBuilder wrote:
Things2do wrote:
Wabbit wrote:
Are you using bearings in your axel holes? They will reduce the amount of screwage. Also, I would recommend securing your wheels to your axel on both sides with nuts (ny-lock nuts if you want to get really fancy). That way, when some side to side slipping of the axel inevitably does happen, it will be only those nuts that come into contact with the bearings rather than the entire wheel, which will cause very little friction.

Fishing line should work fine/I've seen a bunch of teams use it. I was also experiencing some issues with mild stretching last year so I eventually switched over to some thinish string that I had lying around and that seems to have solved the problem. Experiment. See what works.
I use braided Kevlar fishing line, and it doesn't stretch for me. My rod bends, though... As for the screwage, do you have any tubing the proper size to snuggly fit over your threaded rod? That's what I've done.

I also use braided kevlar fishing line since this strong and never stretches. As for the wheel and axle problem use something to hold it in place like the nut lovks as suggested above.
Already using metal nuts on each side of the wheel to hold it in place. The screwing of the axle and the winding of the string move it out of place though.

As for the bearings, should I go with ball bearings specifically or just bearings with some graphite lube?
DarthBuilder

Post by DarthBuilder »

sciencecat42 wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote:
Things2do wrote: I use braided Kevlar fishing line, and it doesn't stretch for me. My rod bends, though... As for the screwage, do you have any tubing the proper size to snuggly fit over your threaded rod? That's what I've done.

Already using metal nuts on each side of the wheel to hold it in place. The screwing of the axle and the winding of the string move it out of place though.

As for the bearings, should I go with ball bearings specifically or just bearings with some graphite lube?
Right now I’m using regular ball bearings then I soaked them in WD40 for a few mins then applied graphene I think? But eventually I’d want to get ceramic bearings.
Deleted
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

DarthBuilder wrote: Right now I’m using regular ball bearings then I soaked them in WD40 for a few mins then applied graphene I think? But eventually I’d want to get ceramic bearings.
I know you probably already know this, but that type of optimization IMO is reaching, if not past the point of diminishing returns. Cermic bearings are expensive, and there's lots of other places to optimize other than bearings (assuming you have decent metal bearings.)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
DarthBuilder

Post by DarthBuilder »

PM2017 wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote: Right now I’m using regular ball bearings then I soaked them in WD40 for a few mins then applied graphene I think? But eventually I’d want to get ceramic bearings.
I know you probably already know this, but that type of optimization IMO is reaching, if not past the point of diminishing returns. Cermic bearings are expensive, and there's lots of other places to optimize other than bearings (assuming you have decent metal bearings.)
I have ok bearings right now but isn’t ideal long term but yeah I’ll look into it more.
Deleted
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Why are you using WD-40 on you bearings!?!?!?! WD-40 is a DESSICANT and literally stands for "Water Displacement". You do NOT want to use WD-40 on bearings, you need a silcone-based lubricant. If i remember correctly, WD-40 will actually break down the lubricant on your bearings and dry them out. You want to use something along the lines of Bones Speed Cream
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

windu34 wrote:
Why are you using WD-40 on you bearings!?!?!?! WD-40 is a DESSICANT and literally stands for "Water Displacement". You do NOT want to use WD-40 on bearings, you need a silcone-based lubricant. If i remember correctly, WD-40 will actually break down the lubricant on your bearings and dry them out. You want to use something along the lines of Bones Speed Cream
Probably this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7zWwo9dbiU
I think the point is to break down the lubricant. The reason? I don't quite remember.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Things2do
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Things2do »

PM2017 wrote:
windu34 wrote:
Probably this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7zWwo9dbiU
I think the point is to break down the lubricant. The reason? I don't quite remember.
If I remember right, the lubricant isn't important for longevity, no more than we run 'em, but the lubricant slows down the bearing because of it's viscosity. I remember my first Wheeled Vehicle partner's father soaking them in alcohol, though... I've never used bearings, I don't think they would help me enough to make it worth the price when I'm getting the distance anyways...
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”