Mousetrap Vehicle C

DarthBuilder
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by DarthBuilder »

During competition are we allowed to put down a protractor on the starting point then before we start our vehicle can we remove it? The last two competitions were pretty confused too but they did let us as long as we removed it before our first and second runs.
Deleted
sciencecat42

Post by sciencecat42 »

bernard wrote: Handheld rotary tools and lathe by themselves are not safe methods for cutting carbon fiber; both would disperse fine abrasive glass-like fibers that can easily accumulate in your lungs and irritate your respiratory tract. These fibers are also electrically conductive and can damage electronics.

If you decide you must use carbon fiber in your device, consider designing your vehicle around the dimensions of stock carbon fiber so you can avoid cutting. If you want threads, consider attaching a component that has threads rather than modifying the carbon fiber. And if you decide you must cut carbon fiber, process it wet, e.g. in a liquid bath, and dispose of your waste properly. Please read about carbon fiber safety before using it.

https://www.rhinocarbonfiber.com/carbon-safety/

http://www.fullforcerc.com/carbon-care/

https://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/pdf ... 0Sheet.pdf
So it sounds like people aren't actually using CF for their axles? Or maybe they use an unthreaded rod for the back and a non-CF threaded rod in front.
sciencecat42

Post by sciencecat42 »

Anyone finding an issue with their wing nut not winding that far on the brake axle? Is this even an issue?
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

sciencecat42 wrote:Anyone finding an issue with their wing nut not winding that far on the brake axle? Is this even an issue?
What do you mean by that? Is it just not traveling very far? If so, you might want to find one with a lower thread count per inch so that the wingnut travels further over the same vehicle travel distance.
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
sciencecat42

Post by sciencecat42 »

dragonfruit35 wrote:
sciencecat42 wrote:Anyone finding an issue with their wing nut not winding that far on the brake axle? Is this even an issue?
What do you mean by that? Is it just not traveling very far? If so, you might want to find one with a lower thread count per inch so that the wingnut travels further over the same vehicle travel distance.
Yeah it only travels about a fifth of the length of the rod. I'm not sure if this is even an issue though. Wouldn't it be more precise?
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

sciencecat42 wrote:
dragonfruit35 wrote:
Yeah it only travels about a fifth of the length of the rod. I'm not sure if this is even an issue though. Wouldn't it be more precise?
It’s not necessarily an issue. It depends on whether you’re determining your brake setting just by looking at it, in which case it would be advantageous to use a lower thread count because the marks will be more spaced out. Otherwise, there shouldn’t be any effect on the braking precision.
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
TheGhghp

Post by TheGhghp »

What size braided fishing line have you guys been using? I'm thinking of buying a 0.1mm diameter line with strength up to 8lb, but I'm not sure if I should go for something thicker.
4Head
Division: C

Post by 4Head »

TheGhghp wrote:What size braided fishing line have you guys been using? I'm thinking of buying a 0.1mm diameter line with strength up to 8lb, but I'm not sure if I should go for something thicker.
that'll be strong enough, just very hard to work with
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
Things2do
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Things2do »

4Head wrote:
TheGhghp wrote:What size braided fishing line have you guys been using? I'm thinking of buying a 0.1mm diameter line with strength up to 8lb, but I'm not sure if I should go for something thicker.
that'll be strong enough, just very hard to work with
I'm using Kevlar fishing line. It's 50 lb test, I think... It's a little hard to tie a small loop in it without leaving a long running end, but it lasts quite a while.
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
4build

Post by 4build »

What material are people using for the drive arms of their vehicle? We're currently using balsa wood but it's flexing a lot.

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”