dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: VA

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Postby dragonfruit35 » March 2nd, 2019, 6:43 pm

Sorry to double post, but it’s been a while, so I hope you all don’t mind :D

What would you guys consider to be a “fast” time for the device (let’s say over 8 meters, to keep it simple?) We’ve been working on increasing the speed and acceleration of our car and we’re wondering how it compares to others.

(VT/FFX/Reg/States/Nats)
MV 1/1/5/-/- Mission 3/4/4/-/- Herp 7/2/4/-/-
WiFi -/-/-/4/13 Indoor Bottle Rocket -/-/-/1/- Code -/-/-/-/1

(Duke/Reg/Cornell/States/Nats)
MV 2/3/7/3/10 Mission 3/7/- Sounds 4/2/- Code 3/1/1/1/5 Herp -/-/11/1/26

Goooooooo Colonials!!!

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » March 2nd, 2019, 7:02 pm

dragonfruit35 wrote:Sorry to double post, but it’s been a while, so I hope you all don’t mind :D

What would you guys consider to be a “fast” time for the device (let’s say over 8 meters, to keep it simple?) We’ve been working on increasing the speed and acceleration of our car and we’re wondering how it compares to others.

Under 12 seconds is good (provided a good distance score). I expect on Nationals rules, top teams are in the range of 10 seconds and under 5 cm.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Mp3nguin__
State: UT

Postby Mp3nguin__ » March 4th, 2019, 5:27 pm

So I was put on this event last minute and my regional is this saturday. It's pretty much finished and doing everything correctly but I wanted to know if using the bottom of a fiberglass fishing rod is legal for my arm (it is 12 inches long). It does not bend/add potentional energy or anything but I am just making sure. It was the only thing I could find in my house and I cannot find any carbon fiber rods in my town lol.

2019 region/state
Mousetrap Vehicle: 4th/5th
Designer Genes: 4th/haven't got scores
Fossils: 3rd/3rd
Experimental Design: 3rd/haven't got scores
Fermi Questions: n/a/haven't got scores

4Head
State: -

Postby 4Head » March 4th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Mp3nguin__ wrote:So I was put on this event last minute and my regional is this saturday. It's pretty much finished and doing everything correctly but I wanted to know if using the bottom of a fiberglass fishing rod is legal for my arm (it is 12 inches long). It does not bend/add potentional energy or anything but I am just making sure. It was the only thing I could find in my house and I cannot find any carbon fiber rods in my town lol.

It's legal. Even arms that flex are ok if they aren't flexing in the ready to run
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion

Mp3nguin__

Postby Mp3nguin__ » March 4th, 2019, 6:23 pm

4Head wrote:
Mp3nguin__ wrote:So I was put on this event last minute and my regional is this saturday. It's pretty much finished and doing everything correctly but I wanted to know if using the bottom of a fiberglass fishing rod is legal for my arm (it is 12 inches long). It does not bend/add potentional energy or anything but I am just making sure. It was the only thing I could find in my house and I cannot find any carbon fiber rods in my town lol.

It's legal. Even arms that flex are ok if they aren't flexing in the ready to run

Okay, thank you so much!

2019 region/state

Mp3nguin__

Postby Mp3nguin__ » March 5th, 2019, 9:31 pm

Sorry for asking another question but is the Vehicle Target Point for regionals 1-2 meters backwards from the Cup Target point or 1-2 meters forwards from the Starting Point? The rules are not very specific and I am confused. Thanks!

2019 region/state

mnoga
State: CA

Postby mnoga » March 6th, 2019, 12:20 am

Mp3nguin__ wrote:Sorry for asking another question but is the Vehicle Target Point for regionals 1-2 meters backwards from the Cup Target point or 1-2 meters forwards from the Starting Point? The rules are not very specific and I am confused. Thanks!

It is between 1 and 2 meters backwards from the Cup Target point for Regionals as this run at an invitational using Regional Rules illustrates: http://www.lmsal.com/pub/markn/ukiah.mov

MTV<=>Operator
State: NY

Postby MTV<=>Operator » March 17th, 2019, 7:35 am

cuber wrote:
I proposed this idea earlier in this thread, but I will explain it again. Baisically, the dowel is not fixed to the chasis, but instead a 10cm rack gear. A set of bevel gears transfer rotation from the front wheels 90 degrees to a pinion, which extends the rack as the car travels forward. The dowel touches the cup at first, but extends outward while the car moves straight. This strategy is not practical at nationals because you would need a 50cm rack, but nationals wont be in the cards for me so I tried it. it was not as “easy” to implement as I originally thought, but 3d printed gears do help quite a bit.

I was lucky enough to see your run yesterday at the state competition and I just wanted to congratulate you on first place. The rack gear and moving dowel was a really good idea and you deserved that win.
THHS Builder
2017-2018
2018-2019
Regionals/ Yale/ States/ best score
MTV - 9/ 30 (tiered)/ 22 ( failure)/ 18
Boomi - 3/ 20/ -- /1400
WS - 23/ 17/ 21/ 3:10

cuber

Postby cuber » March 17th, 2019, 7:32 pm

MTV<=>Operator wrote:I was lucky enough to see your run yesterday at the state competition and I just wanted to congratulate you on first place. The rack gear and moving dowel was a really good idea and you deserved that win.

Thank you! After having a terrible first run, and running the setup clock down to the last second, It was incredibly releaving to see it work that well. I’ll upload a video of the run and pictures of my rack and pinion mechanism if anyone is curious.

Rossyspsce

Postby Rossyspsce » March 17th, 2019, 11:09 pm

not sure if this has been asked before. but what defines a extra parts from a separate vehicle, as if you change out every part of a vehicle, is it considered the same vehicle or a new vehicle?

mnoga

Postby mnoga » March 18th, 2019, 1:41 pm

Rossyspsce wrote:not sure if this has been asked before. but what defines a extra parts from a separate vehicle, as if you change out every part of a vehicle, is it considered the same vehicle or a new vehicle?

Not sure if that is defined. That is, your extra parts could be a whole vehicle or even more than one additional vehicle. Which means you could run vehicle #1 and, depending upon its result, you could switch in vehicle #2 or #3, etc for the 2nd run. That may violate the spirit of the competition but not the formal rules.

4Head

Postby 4Head » March 18th, 2019, 5:57 pm

cuber wrote:
MTV<=>Operator wrote:I was lucky enough to see your run yesterday at the state competition and I just wanted to congratulate you on first place. The rack gear and moving dowel was a really good idea and you deserved that win.

Thank you! After having a terrible first run, and running the setup clock down to the last second, It was incredibly releaving to see it work that well. I’ll upload a video of the run and pictures of my rack and pinion mechanism if anyone is curious.

why is it always someone from new york that breaks the vehicle event? :?:
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion

Zxcvbnm123

Postby Zxcvbnm123 » March 18th, 2019, 7:02 pm

cuber wrote:

How did you design the chasis?

MTV<=>Operator

Postby MTV<=>Operator » March 20th, 2019, 2:07 pm

I didn't do well at all at my state competition (22nd place) because of a steering malfunction caused by a piece of gym tape on the testing floor, but my mousetrap vehicle had been testing to a score of 25 consistently, even on the same floor the day before competition. Feel free to dm me if you want pics as the states competition was my last with this event. Good luck as well to anyone who still has competitions. Some notes:

- Make sure to use a targeting device that does not rely on a straight physical center line. Luckily enough I did not rely on this, but they purposely made the imaginary center line at a 15 degree angle from the floor lines at states to throw some people off
- This may have just been the supervisor, but I witnessed a team impound a second vehicle that they labeled as spare parts. It is always good to have an alternative vehicle in case they let you impound it as well
- Bring something to clean the floor and/or the wheels to stop skidding from dust ( I forgot to bring a swiffer so I purposely went after a top team that used one)
THHS Builder
2017-2018
2018-2019
Regionals/ Yale/ States/ best score
MTV - 9/ 30 (tiered)/ 22 ( failure)/ 18
Boomi - 3/ 20/ -- /1400
WS - 23/ 17/ 21/ 3:10

mnoga

Postby mnoga » March 20th, 2019, 5:30 pm

MTV<=>Operator wrote:I didn't do well at all at my state competition (22nd place) because of a steering malfunction caused by a piece of gym tape on the testing floor, but my mousetrap vehicle had been testing to a score of 25 consistently, even on the same floor the day before competition. Feel free to dm me if you want pics as the states competition was my last with this event. Good luck as well to anyone who still has competitions. Some notes:

- Make sure to use a targeting device that does not rely on a straight physical center line. Luckily enough I did not rely on this, but they purposely made the imaginary center line at a 15 degree angle from the floor lines at states to throw some people off
- This may have just been the supervisor, but I witnessed a team impound a second vehicle that they labeled as spare parts. It is always good to have an alternative vehicle in case they let you impound it as well
- Bring something to clean the floor and/or the wheels to stop skidding from dust ( I forgot to bring a swiffer so I purposely went after a top team that used one)

Sorry to hear that -- I know you put a lot of time and effort into your vehicle. Even with a very well designed and tested MTV, things can go wrong. Among these are loss of calibration due to travel -- usually caused by not packing your vehicle properly, floors that really aren't very smooth, floors that are dirty, supervisors who don't measure setup distances properly or use thick tape, poor impound conditions, etc.

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”