Page 1 of 2

Reverse and Curving

Posted: October 5th, 2018, 10:56 am
by JojoCho
As everyone knows, this year mousetrap vehicle requires curving when the vehicle goes in reverse. While I have some possible ideas, I'm still quite unsure as to how to do this if the vehicle goes straight 8 meters first. If anyone has any tips or suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Reverse and Curving

Posted: October 5th, 2018, 11:45 am
by Unome
JojoCho wrote:As everyone knows, this year mousetrap vehicle requires curving when the vehicle goes in reverse. While I have some possible ideas, I'm still quite unsure as to how to do this if the vehicle goes straight 8 meters first. If anyone has any tips or suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.
Curve both ways is probably the simplest method. Based on how dynamic steering went in EV I'm not expecting anyone to try to cut their time by going straight first.

Re: Reverse and Curving

Posted: October 6th, 2018, 11:57 am
by PM2017
Unome wrote:
JojoCho wrote:As everyone knows, this year mousetrap vehicle requires curving when the vehicle goes in reverse. While I have some possible ideas, I'm still quite unsure as to how to do this if the vehicle goes straight 8 meters first. If anyone has any tips or suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.
Curve both ways is probably the simplest method. Based on how dynamic steering went in EV I'm not expecting anyone to try to cut their time by going straight first.
It also doesn't add much total distance to the run, because the turning radius is so large.

Re: Reverse and Curving

Posted: November 5th, 2018, 4:15 pm
by Pradyun
I've gotten movement forwards and backwards down as well as braking, but how would you be able to curve the Vehicle one way forwards and another way on its way back?

I was thinking initial vehicle/axle orientation... but with that the vehicle wouldn't curve a different way on its way back.

Am I missing something? Please help :)

Re: Reverse and Curving

Posted: November 5th, 2018, 5:08 pm
by windu34
Pradyun wrote:I've gotten movement forwards and backwards down as well as braking, but how would you be able to curve the Vehicle one way forwards and another way on its way back?

I was thinking initial vehicle/axle orientation... but with that the vehicle wouldn't curve a different way on its way back.

Am I missing something? Please help :)
You dont need to curve a different way on the way back. You must have interpreted the layout of the track incorrectly. Fixed-axle steering with initial orientation should be sufficient (and is the best method IMO) to achieve high accuracy.

Re: Reverse and Curving

Posted: November 6th, 2018, 6:04 am
by Pradyun
Yup just realized :lol: ! Thanks for the clarification as well!

Re: Reverse and Curving

Posted: November 24th, 2018, 3:17 pm
by Bazinga+
Here's a great plastic dial caliper with a lock screw I used for Scrambler steering. Highly recommend-
https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Level-278 ... ref=plSrch

Re: Reverse and Curving

Posted: December 10th, 2018, 4:47 pm
by terence.tan
Bazinga+ wrote:Here's a great plastic dial caliper with a lock screw I used for Scrambler steering. Highly recommend-
https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Level-278 ... ref=plSrch
how much does it weigh?

Re: Reverse and Curving

Posted: December 11th, 2018, 6:51 am
by DarthBuilder
terence.tan wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:Here's a great plastic dial caliper with a lock screw I used for Scrambler steering. Highly recommend-
https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Level-278 ... ref=plSrch
how much does it weigh?
7.2 oz/200 grams i think

Re: Reverse and Curving

Posted: December 12th, 2018, 3:42 am
by antoine_ego
DarthBuilder wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:Here's a great plastic dial caliper with a lock screw I used for Scrambler steering. Highly recommend-
https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Level-278 ... ref=plSrch
how much does it weigh?
7.2 oz/200 grams i think
Two hundred grams is equal to the weight of my vehicle last year. I think using it on the vehicle itself would most certainly increase accuracy significantly. The question is whether hit to the time score is worth it.