Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Materials and 3D Printing?

Post by bernard »

sciencecat42 wrote:
bernard wrote:
sciencecat42 wrote:
How would you attach bearings to the extrusions? Also, wouldn't that be heavy compared to just printing the sides?
You could use flanged bearings fixed with adhesive (epoxy) to the rim of holes drilled in the aluminum.
Why not just normal bearings friction fit into the drilled holes? Not sure if this could be done with the carbon fiber rods though.
The flanges can help with aligning the bearings with the chassis and give an easier surface for applying adhesive.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
sciencecat42
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sciencecat42 »

bernard wrote:
sciencecat42 wrote:
bernard wrote: You could use flanged bearings fixed with adhesive (epoxy) to the rim of holes drilled in the aluminum.
Why not just normal bearings friction fit into the drilled holes? Not sure if this could be done with the carbon fiber rods though.
The flanges can help with aligning the bearings with the chassis and give an easier surface for applying adhesive.
I see how the flanges could help with alignment, but is adhesive necessary if the bearings fit with a close enough tolerance?
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

sciencecat42 wrote:
bernard wrote:
sciencecat42 wrote:
I see how the flanges could help with alignment, but is adhesive necessary if the bearings fit with a close enough tolerance?
No. I got away with unglued bearings throughout the battery buggy season last year :D . I just used a bunch of hex nuts and washers to smash the stuff together. It worked ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I'd still use adhesive in the end, however.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

MadCow2357 wrote:
sciencecat42 wrote:
bernard wrote: The flanges can help with aligning the bearings with the chassis and give an easier surface for applying adhesive.
No. I got away with unglued bearings throughout the battery buggy season last year :D . I just used a bunch of hex nuts and washers to smash the stuff together. It worked ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I'd still use adhesive in the end, however.
You shouldn't need to glue the bearings if you've drilled/printed it properly. Also, when I'm attaching my bearings to the bearing block, I normally have to use a clamp or a vise grip. That's how tight it should be.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
as1092
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by as1092 »

PM2017 wrote:3d printing connectors, using cf rods to construct the chassis.
What is a connector? I thought you just print out the two sides of the frame and then use the axle to connect the sides of the frame, with a bearing in the hole of the axle to reduce friction. How does a connector work in this situation?

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”