String Problems

StudentScientistUSA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

String Problems

Post by StudentScientistUSA »

What is the best type of string to use?
We had a yarn-like string that was too thick, and so we used a thin Kevlar string like the type that you use for helicopters. It keeps braking on us. What kind of string should we use, and where can we find it?
c21k
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: String Problems

Post by c21k »

We've been using etiher monofilament or fluorocarbon fishing line (don't recall) which you can probably obtain relatively easily (Walmart, pigeon's Sporting Goods, Target, Amazon, etc.) I think the most annoying part about using it is the fact that it's slippery and won't hold knots. We just used blue/purple CA glue to secure the knots and it was fine after that.

edit: i was so confused at first but I think scioly.org is the reason why it says pigeon up there lol
Last edited by c21k on February 6th, 2019, 11:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Forensics 3/4, Sounds 1/2, Fossils 2/8, MP 2/6, Mouse 1/7
R&M, Optics, XPD, WIDI, Dynamic, GeoMapp, (filler - IAT, Towers)

Troglodites Yorticus
Things2do
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Things2do »

StudentScientistUSA wrote:What is the best type of string to use?
We had a yarn-like string that was too thick, and so we used a thin Kevlar string like the type that you use for helicopters. It keeps braking on us. What kind of string should we use, and where can we find it?
From what I've read, some batches of Kevlar string are better than others. I've been using it for over a year without breakage. I even tried breaking it by tying it to a door to no avail. I'm using two traps, and I think it's 50lb test and 12lb monofilament diameter. To keep knots in monofilament, glue's probably the best. Unless you can the fishing knots without anything in the bight...
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
jajefan
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by jajefan »

Yep, we've been using fishing line and medium CA to secure the knots (do three square knots and you'll be guaranteed not to slip, even without the CA honestly--but I'd still use the CA).
Mouse, Wright, Circuit, Astro
66mazda
Division: C
State: OH

Post by 66mazda »

I've actually been using the spider wire combined with a zip tie drive hook. Haven't used superglue, CA, or anything like that to secure anything regarding drive strings, the drive hook is clamped on tight enough. We soldered a steel hook on top of the hollow brass drive rod and tied one end of the string around it, then made a loop on the other end.
I'm not sure whether the fact that the drive axle is wrapped in duct tape plays a role in "grip".

https://www.docfizzix.com/products/bulk ... 75df.shtml
petal

Post by petal »

I have used fishing line before for the drive string, especially because it is so thin and can permit more loops around the axle than other times of string, however, I found that after a few runs, it began to curl up/retain the curled up shape (instead of remaining straight). That made it a nuisance to wrap around the axle as it would keep bunching up. Do the rest of you have this problem? Or was it just me?
c21k
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by c21k »

petal wrote:I have used fishing line before for the drive string, especially because it is so thin and can permit more loops around the axle than other times of string, however, I found that after a few runs, it began to curl up/retain the curled up shape (instead of remaining straight). That made it a nuisance to wrap around the axle as it would keep bunching up. Do the rest of you have this problem? Or was it just me?
While winding, our fishing line is under tension, keeping it straight. if it isn't, we do find that it likes to curl up.
Forensics 3/4, Sounds 1/2, Fossils 2/8, MP 2/6, Mouse 1/7
R&M, Optics, XPD, WIDI, Dynamic, GeoMapp, (filler - IAT, Towers)

Troglodites Yorticus

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”