How do you precisely control the curve of the vehicle? How do you improve accuracy?

Zxcvbnm123
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How do you precisely control the curve of the vehicle? How do you improve accuracy?

Post by Zxcvbnm123 »

Question in the title
MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: How do you precisely control the curve of the vehicle? How do you improve accuracy?

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but here are a couple of options:
- Placing the steering joint in the back of the vehicle will have a smaller effect on the angle that the vehicle curves at, allowing for more precision
- Using a caliper to steer will allow you to use actual measurements to adjust your angle

In order to improve accuracy, I would recommend testing repeatedly on different floors until you get the curve right
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
4Head
Division: C

Re: How do you precisely control the curve of the vehicle? How do you improve accuracy?

Post by 4Head »

MTV<=>Operator wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but here are a couple of options:
- Placing the steering joint in the back of the vehicle will have a smaller effect on the angle that the vehicle curves at, allowing for more precision
- Using a caliper to steer will allow you to use actual measurements to adjust your angle

In order to improve accuracy, I would recommend testing repeatedly on different floors until you get the curve right
could you elaborate on your first point?
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
MTV<=>Operator

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

Basically, if you were to place the steering in the front of the MTV, every angle that you change the front axle by would have a greater effect on the path of the vehicle than if you were to change the back axle instead by the same angle and keep the front perpendicular to the chassis.

In other words, the vehicle will turn more if you angle the front, say 10 degrees than if you angle the back 10 degrees. Steering from the front wheels has a more dramatic effect on the curve of the vehicle
2017-2018
2018-2019
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
4Head

Post by 4Head »

MTV<=>Operator wrote:Basically, if you were to place the steering in the front of the MTV, every angle that you change the front axle by would have a greater effect on the path of the vehicle than if you were to change the back axle instead by the same angle and keep the front perpendicular to the chassis.

In other words, the vehicle will turn more if you angle the front, say 10 degrees than if you angle the back 10 degrees. Steering from the front wheels has a more dramatic effect on the curve of the vehicle
why?
Lorant
State: FL

Post by Lorant »

4Head wrote:
MTV<=>Operator wrote:Basically, if you were to place the steering in the front of the MTV, every angle that you change the front axle by would have a greater effect on the path of the vehicle than if you were to change the back axle instead by the same angle and keep the front perpendicular to the chassis.

why?
I beg to differ, if you were to draw a line perpendicular to the center of either axle, at any instant during the run this line will be running tangent to the arc drawn by the car. This perpendicular line would form the same degree measure on the back axle as for the front, if you were turning on the same arc. Thus the angle offset, and the corresponding curve would be the same regardless of the axle being angled. I highly recommend drawing a model of the track in AutoCad and using it to measure the arcs and angle offsets necessary for your car, and while the numbers will NOT be 100% in practice, they will be useful as a guideline.
I build. A lot.
Boca Raton High School.
Events: Boomi, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff.
Incomplete Userpage
4Head

Post by 4Head »

Lorant wrote:
4Head wrote:

why?
I beg to differ, if you were to draw a line perpendicular to the center of either axle, at any instant during the run this line will be running tangent to the arc drawn by the car. This perpendicular line would form the same degree measure on the back axle as for the front, if you were turning on the same arc. Thus the angle offset, and the corresponding curve would be the same regardless of the axle being angled. I highly recommend drawing a model of the track in AutoCad and using it to measure the arcs and angle offsets necessary for your car, and while the numbers will NOT be 100% in practice, they will be useful as a guideline.
This is exactly how I saw it as well
MTV<=>Operator

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

Sorry for being a bit unclear, but when I wrote this I was referring to a swivel steering system. The person that told me this came to the conclusion by testing different vehicle prototypes, some with front steering and some with rear steering (all with a swivel steering system). I completely understand your reasoning
2017-2018
2018-2019
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”