jajefan
Division: Grad
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Aiming

Post by jajefan »

So far, our team has been hitting sub 20's in practice, but we recently bombed this event at the Mentor Invitational with a score of around 70.

One of the biggest reasons for this is because they did not use one of the gym's plank lines as the center-line between the Start Point and the CTP. We've been depending on this fact for our vehicle aim (how much the vehicle is pointed right at the start of the run--basically using a caliper to measure the offset from our right back wheel to that centerline), and since they didn't have the line, we had to use a fishing line as a straightline (we applied tension and stretched it so it crossed the SP and CTP). Problem is, we need two people to hold each end of the string to make certain it's actually straight, and since it's difficult to both position the mousetrap and keep tension on the string, we utterly failed at getting the vehicle aim down.

I'm just wondering what aiming methods other teams are using and whether or not they are consistent--we are trying to steer away (haha get it) from depending on the gym floor lines and/or our fishing line method.

Will upload a pic of what I mean later if it's unclear.
Mouse, Wright, Circuit, Astro
4Head
Division: C

Re: Aiming

Post by 4Head »

jajefan wrote:So far, our team has been hitting sub 20's in practice, but we recently bombed this event at the Mentor Invitational with a score of around 70.

One of the biggest reasons for this is because they did not use one of the gym's plank lines as the center-line between the Start Point and the CTP. We've been depending on this fact for our vehicle aim (how much the vehicle is pointed right at the start of the run--basically using a caliper to measure the offset from our right back wheel to that centerline), and since they didn't have the line, we had to use a fishing line as a straightline (we applied tension and stretched it so it crossed the SP and CTP). Problem is, we need two people to hold each end of the string to make certain it's actually straight, and since it's difficult to both position the mousetrap and keep tension on the string, we utterly failed at getting the vehicle aim down.

I'm just wondering what aiming methods other teams are using and whether or not they are consistent--we are trying to steer away (haha get it) from depending on the gym floor lines and/or our fishing line method.

Will upload a pic of what I mean later if it's unclear.
Dirty. They did the same at Solon last year
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
Things2do
State: TN

Post by Things2do »

[quote="jajefan"]So far, our team has been hitting sub 20's in practice, but we recently bombed this event at the Mentor Invitational with a score of around 70.

Will upload a pic of what I mean later if it's unclear.[/quote]
I just teach myself to eyeball it based upon the locating of the C.T.P. instead of using exact measurements... I usually aim my car where I do for practice, and then adjust my second run to where I want it to go based on how the rear end slides when it reverses on the specific floor. I do have a protractor in my box in case I want to intimidate the competition, though...
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
66mazda

Post by 66mazda »

I was there yesterday and was honestly pigeon off at the track, although for a different reason. The worst part was the fact that the CTP was intentionally offset to the left of the starting point. In practice, I use the straight line between the starting point and CTP to assist me in finding a good angle. Since our practice area doesn't have the plank lines, I didn't see the lack of lines as an issue. I ended up just pulling out a tape measure, setting the desired distance, and then walking feet over feet to the 6m part in which I lined it up (second run) in line to the vtp, then aligned the dowel to that point (in which after I turned it a bit left due to the offset). The second run was notably more accurate and it would have been better if I hadn't miscalculated the distance by 2-3 revolutions.

I know one of the teams (black frame, small orange wheels) used 2 blocks with string between them, thus creating a straight line for aiming. Another one just used a target/sight system similar to many firearms.

The real kicker for me was the 1m distance for the VTP. It screwed me over, as I realized that the brake would fail if I set it up for anything below (around) 1.5 meters. I ended up remedying that to an extent, although it could have worked better.

As for scores, in 2 months I was able to lower it from a DNF to around 110. But this time I got around 320....
jajefan

Post by jajefan »

66mazda wrote:I was there yesterday and was honestly pigeon off at the track, although for a different reason. The worst part was the fact that the CTP was intentionally offset to the left of the starting point. In practice, I use the straight line between the starting point and CTP to assist me in finding a good angle. Since our practice area doesn't have the plank lines, I didn't see the lack of lines as an issue. I ended up just pulling out a tape measure, setting the desired distance, and then walking feet over feet to the 6m part in which I lined it up (second run) in line to the vtp, then aligned the dowel to that point (in which after I turned it a bit left due to the offset). The second run was notably more accurate and it would have been better if I hadn't miscalculated the distance by 2-3 revolutions.

I know one of the teams (black frame, small orange wheels) used 2 blocks with string between them, thus creating a straight line for aiming. Another one just used a target/sight system similar to many firearms.

The real kicker for me was the 1m distance for the VTP. It screwed me over, as I realized that the brake would fail if I set it up for anything below (around) 1.5 meters. I ended up remedying that to an extent, although it could have worked better.

As for scores, in 2 months I was able to lower it from a DNF to around 110. But this time I got around 320....
Hey that team with the black frame and orange wheels was us lol, but that same string method is what killed our aim--guess we just need more practice w/ it. And I think the team with the ironsights was Nordonia HS, who's also extremely good at this event.
66mazda

Post by 66mazda »

jajefan wrote: Hey that team with the black frame and orange wheels was us lol, but that same string method is what killed our aim--guess we just need more practice w/ it. And I think the team with the ironsights was Nordonia HS, who's also extremely good at this event.
Interesting....
I also was concerned that is was "camouflaged" with the wood of the floors...
Also there's a joke in our area that the Nordonia parents build them...
:P
ps what team were you? I honestly thought you did a pretty good job too.
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

I saw two teams from one school use the string method at upenn. It seemed to work well for them
MTV<=>Operator
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

I haven't tried this strategy yet, but you could try placing an object on the track where you want the vehicle to be aimed and use a scope to point it towards that object. That object would be at the angle that you wish to aim it at and you would know where to place it by measuring off of the CTP which should be constant for every run.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
4Head

Post by 4Head »

MTV<=>Operator wrote:I haven't tried this strategy yet, but you could try placing an object on the track where you want the vehicle to be aimed and use a scope to point it towards that object. That object would be at the angle that you wish to aim it at and you would know where to place it by measuring off of the CTP which should be constant for every run.
this one is the best
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
jajefan

Post by jajefan »

MTV<=>Operator wrote:I haven't tried this strategy yet, but you could try placing an object on the track where you want the vehicle to be aimed and use a scope to point it towards that object. That object would be at the angle that you wish to aim it at and you would know where to place it by measuring off of the CTP which should be constant for every run.

Thank you so much, will try this.

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”