Sealed Ball Bearings

MTV<=>Operator
Division: Grad
State: NY

Sealed Ball Bearings

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

I'm just wondering how everyone has been attaching their bearings to their vehicle.
- I don't want to glue mine in because I wouldn't be able to remove the axle afterwards
- When I tried wedging them in, their rotation seemed restricted, likely because they were being compressed in the hole
- I widened the hole, and this fixed the rotation problem, but now they slide out pretty easily

Thanks in advance
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--
Dreamz
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sealed Ball Bearings

Post by Dreamz »

MTV<=>Operator wrote:I'm just wondering how everyone has been attaching their bearings to their vehicle.
- I don't want to glue mine in because I wouldn't be able to remove the axle afterwards
- When I tried wedging them in, their rotation seemed restricted, likely because they were being compressed in the hole
- I widened the hole, and this fixed the rotation problem, but now they slide out pretty easily

Thanks in advance
We used a tiny bit of CA to glue ours in--still removable although some force is required.

The second vehicle that we built also experienced similar rotational resistance (we wedged the ball bearings as well with a bit of CA). However we found out that it was due to the fact that our holes were not aligned properly (one angled up slightly). We were able to get rid of the resistance just by changing the direction of the hole.
mnoga
Division: C
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

Dreamz wrote:
MTV<=>Operator wrote:I'm just wondering how everyone has been attaching their bearings to their vehicle.

Thanks in advance
We used a tiny bit of CA to glue ours in--still removable although some force is required.

The second vehicle that we built also experienced similar rotational resistance (we wedged the ball bearings as well with a bit of CA). However we found out that it was due to the fact that our holes were not aligned properly (one angled up slightly). We were able to get rid of the resistance just by changing the direction of the hole.
Flanged bearings are a great choice because the lip or rim of the flange allows you to align the shaft hole parallel to the ground.
MTV<=>Operator
State: NY

Post by MTV<=>Operator »

Thanks, I'll try using a little bit of CA glue for mine
Flanged bearings are a great choice because the lip or rim of the flange allows you to align the shaft hole parallel to the ground.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't currently have flanged bearings but I will use them next time. Where do you get your bearings? I can't seem to find any cheap flanged bearings from reliable sources.
THHS '21 Builder Cult Member
2017-2018
2018-2019
2019-2020: GV (9 YUSO, 5 NYC), Detector (8 YUSO, 7 NYC), WS (10 NYC), PPP
2020-2021 Events/ Yosemite/HUSO/River Hill/ NYC South Regional
Vehicle Design / 1/--/--/--
WICI / 3/--/--/--
Circuits /--/ 3/ 5/ 1
Machines /--/ 4/ 2/ 2
Detector /--/--/ 2/--

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”