How can the dowel be moved when the mousetrap vehicle travels?

shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Re: How can the dowel be moved when the mousetrap vehicle travels?

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

PM2017 wrote:
MTV<=>Operator wrote:
falcon1236912 wrote:
Only the wheels have to fit in to 40x40 square so you could use this for nationals.
That's true, I didn't realize that. It would still be hard for a vehicle to support a rack gear that extends 50cm out to the side unless it is really lightweight.
Alternatively, you could have a gear rack of similar weight extending out the other side.
an unnamed school used a swinging 50 cm arm twice successfully both times. seemed like it might have been a bit lucky but successful anyways
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
MTV<=>Operator wrote:
That's true, I didn't realize that. It would still be hard for a vehicle to support a rack gear that extends 50cm out to the side unless it is really lightweight.
Alternatively, you could have a gear rack of similar weight extending out the other side.
an unnamed school used a swinging 50 cm arm twice successfully both times. seemed like it might have been a bit lucky but successful anyways
I have also seen this in action. Provided it's within the rules (I haven't looked at them closely), it appears to be an effective strategy.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
DarthBuilder
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Post by DarthBuilder »

Unome wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:
PM2017 wrote: Alternatively, you could have a gear rack of similar weight extending out the other side.
I have also seen this in action. Provided it's within the rules (I haven't looked at them closely), it appears to be an effective strategy.
I saw this was well. It looked really effective and both runs did well. It is allowed since the dowel is still touching the cup.
Deleted
Zxcvbnm123

Post by Zxcvbnm123 »

Does the dowel just have to touch the cup at the very beginning?
shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

DarthBuilder wrote:
Unome wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote: an unnamed school used a swinging 50 cm arm twice successfully both times. seemed like it might have been a bit lucky but successful anyways
I saw this was well. It looked really effective and both runs did well. It is allowed since the dowel is still touching the cup.
in honesty its not that effective and its not necessary either. I feel like there are too many uncertainties and then also if you are trying to be competitive you need to have low time score which that school didn't have at all... Also, Im not sure how accurate that method actually is because their first run was nice but their second run was significantly off
Things2do
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Things2do »

Zxcvbnm123 wrote:Does the dowel just have to touch the cup at the very beginning?
My interpretation of 5d is that it only has to touch in the ready-to-run configuration, and since 7d doesn't mention amy penalties for the cup falling over, which one would think would un-contact the dowel... Plus the fact that you { theoretically} leave the cup at the C.T.P...

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
JojoCho
State: GA

Post by JojoCho »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote:
Unome wrote: I have also seen this in action. Provided it's within the rules (I haven't looked at them closely), it appears to be an effective strategy.
in honesty its not that effective and its not necessary either. I feel like there are too many uncertainties and then also if you are trying to be competitive you need to have low time score which that school didn't have at all... Also, Im not sure how accurate that method actually is because their first run was nice but their second run was significantly off
It can be pretty effective and accurate with lots of testing and practice! :D
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2019
University of Georgia Class of 2023
User Page

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”