xiangyu
Division: Grad
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Braking System

Post by xiangyu »

mnoga wrote:
sciencecat42 wrote:
mnoga wrote:You don't need to saw off one side of the wing nut. When it flips over you just need something to stop it on the way back from its starting point. Think of it this way ... 8 meters forward and between 1 and 6 meters back depending upon Regional, State, or National Rules. You can just vary your starting point on the threaded rod to control how far back you go. If you refer to the videos in the Score Discussion thread you'll see the Mountain View car which uses this method.
When we used a two sided wingnut, it would get caught and stop the car even on the way forward. How do you implement it so that it doesn't?
xiangyu wrote:I encountered the same problem but then after experimenting found out that you don't need to saw off a wing. In my case on the way forward it is pushing against one side of the dowel and on the way back it's pushing along the back side of the same dowel where I will put a rubber stopper.
How do you securely attach the rubber stopper on only one side of your dowel?
I do not recommend using a dowel because it is wood and it will wear and shrink and/or expand depending upon humidity/temp. Better to use metal, like an aluminum strip. That strip can be drilled with holes and in one of those holes you can insert a stopper, like a round spacer (again aluminum is a good choice).
Hmmm that sounds like a good idea
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
sciencecat42
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sciencecat42 »

xiangyu wrote:
mnoga wrote:
sciencecat42 wrote:
When we used a two sided wingnut, it would get caught and stop the car even on the way forward. How do you implement it so that it doesn't?

How do you securely attach the rubber stopper on only one side of your dowel?
I do not recommend using a dowel because it is wood and it will wear and shrink and/or expand depending upon humidity/temp. Better to use metal, like an aluminum strip. That strip can be drilled with holes and in one of those holes you can insert a stopper, like a round spacer (again aluminum is a good choice).
May I ask how you did it without the aluminum strip? I don't think I'll have enough time to source one before competition.

Edit: figured out a way that just requires a little 3D printing!
xiangyu
Division: Grad
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by xiangyu »

sciencecat42 wrote:
xiangyu wrote:
mnoga wrote:
May I ask how you did it without the aluminum strip? I don't think I'll have enough time to source one before competition.

Nice, 3d printing would work.

I was testing my prototype with a wooden dowel, so there is a rubber stopper glued on the bottom side of the dowel which stops the wingnut on the way back.
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
mnoga
Division: C
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

xiangyu wrote:
sciencecat42 wrote:
xiangyu wrote:

Nice, 3d printing would work.

I was testing my prototype with a wooden dowel, so there is a rubber stopper glued on the bottom side of the dowel which stops the wingnut on the way back.
Yes, that sounds like a good approach -- we did not have access to a 3D printer when constructing our vehicle. You could make a custom "rail with a stopper" piece for your vehicle that is pretty light using this approach.
newflight

Post by newflight »

Do you need 2 brakes? One for stopping cup target and one for stopping at vehicle target. I used both, however, it oftentimes locked my vehicle at cup target. any suggestions?
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

newflight wrote:Do you need 2 brakes? One for stopping cup target and one for stopping at vehicle target. I used both, however, it oftentimes locked my vehicle at cup target. any suggestions?
take the cup target brake off, you really only need one brake. You could also wrap the string to act as a secondary brake. But one wing nut break is sufficient
4Head
Division: C

Post by 4Head »

Rossyspsce wrote:
newflight wrote:Do you need 2 brakes? One for stopping cup target and one for stopping at vehicle target. I used both, however, it oftentimes locked my vehicle at cup target. any suggestions?
take the cup target brake off, you really only need one brake. You could also wrap the string to act as a secondary brake. But one wing nut break is sufficient
You don’t need a brake at all really. Mentor has had a lot of success with two brakes and we’ll see how that pans out in a week. It might be unnecessary but it’s a guarantee of the cup being dead on front-back wise
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

4Head wrote:
Rossyspsce wrote:
You don’t need a brake at all really. Mentor has had a lot of success with two brakes and we’ll see how that pans out in a week. It might be unnecessary but it’s a guarantee of the cup being dead on front-back wise
Is one just meant for going forward? And how would you work in a drive axle

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”