Braking System

xiangyu
Division: Grad
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Braking System

Post by xiangyu »

MadCow2357 wrote:
xiangyu wrote:Also, if I decide to install a braking system, it will probably be what everyone has been using which is the wingnut system. I'm curious if teams are making the stopper movable(which then they can adjust to each different length).
Why can't you just move the wingnut to the distance you want?
I thought of that but how do you do it since the axle is under tension from the string connecting it to the mouse traps? Am I missing something? Do you have the dowel removable?
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

xiangyu wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:
xiangyu wrote:Also, if I decide to install a braking system, it will probably be what everyone has been using which is the wingnut system. I'm curious if teams are making the stopper movable(which then they can adjust to each different length).
Why can't you just move the wingnut to the distance you want?
I thought of that but how do you do it since the axle is under tension from the string connecting it to the mouse traps? Am I missing something? Do you have the dowel removable?
the wing nut is on the axle not attached by string to the mousetraps
xiangyu

Post by xiangyu »

Rossyspsce wrote:
xiangyu wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote: Why can't you just move the wingnut to the distance you want?
Right... but in order to change the position of the wing nut I have to turn it, but I can't turn it since it's riding along a dowel... So the only way left is to turn the drive axle, but the drive axle is attached to the mousetraps and suddenly I'm winding up my vehicle... Are you suggesting detaching the string from the axle first so that it turns freely and adjust the wing nut that way? That could work hmmm...
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

xiangyu wrote:
Rossyspsce wrote:
xiangyu wrote:
Right... but in order to change the position of the wing nut I have to turn it, but I can't turn it since it's riding along a dowel... So the only way left is to turn the drive axle, but the drive axle is attached to the mousetraps and suddenly I'm winding up my vehicle... Are you suggesting detaching the string from the axle first so that it turns freely and adjust the wing nut that way? That could work hmmm...
Yes and no. Setting the wingnut then winding would work, but I do winding then wingnut bc I've had issues where the wingnut moves during winding. Also yes, the drive axle is the turning axle for my case but either would work
xiangyu

Post by xiangyu »

Rossyspsce wrote:
xiangyu wrote:
Rossyspsce wrote:
Yes and no. Setting the wingnut then winding would work, but I do winding then wingnut bc I've had issues where the wingnut moves during winding. Also yes, the drive axle is the turning axle for my case but either would work
I see, thanks!
sciencecat42
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sciencecat42 »

We tried to implement the one sided wingnut braking method, but after sawing off a wing, it won't flip over when the car reverses. Is there any solution to this issue or an alternative reliable braking method?
mnoga
Division: C
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

sciencecat42 wrote:We tried to implement the one sided wingnut braking method, but after sawing off a wing, it won't flip over when the car reverses. Is there any solution to this issue or an alternative reliable braking method?
You don't need to saw off one side of the wing nut. When it flips over you just need something to stop it on the way back from its starting point. Think of it this way ... 8 meters forward and between 1 and 6 meters back depending upon Regional, State, or National Rules. You can just vary your starting point on the threaded rod to control how far back you go. If you refer to the videos in the Score Discussion thread you'll see the Mountain View car which uses this method.
xiangyu

Post by xiangyu »

sciencecat42 wrote:We tried to implement the one sided wingnut braking method, but after sawing off a wing, it won't flip over when the car reverses. Is there any solution to this issue or an alternative reliable braking method?
I encountered the same problem but then after experimenting found out that you don't need to saw off a wing. In my case on the way forward it is pushing against one side of the dowel and on the way back it's pushing along the back side of the same dowel where I will put a rubber stopper.
sciencecat42
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sciencecat42 »

mnoga wrote:You don't need to saw off one side of the wing nut. When it flips over you just need something to stop it on the way back from its starting point. Think of it this way ... 8 meters forward and between 1 and 6 meters back depending upon Regional, State, or National Rules. You can just vary your starting point on the threaded rod to control how far back you go. If you refer to the videos in the Score Discussion thread you'll see the Mountain View car which uses this method.
When we used a two sided wingnut, it would get caught and stop the car even on the way forward. How do you implement it so that it doesn't?
xiangyu wrote:I encountered the same problem but then after experimenting found out that you don't need to saw off a wing. In my case on the way forward it is pushing against one side of the dowel and on the way back it's pushing along the back side of the same dowel where I will put a rubber stopper.
How do you securely attach the rubber stopper on only one side of your dowel?
mnoga
Division: C
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

sciencecat42 wrote:
mnoga wrote:You don't need to saw off one side of the wing nut. When it flips over you just need something to stop it on the way back from its starting point. Think of it this way ... 8 meters forward and between 1 and 6 meters back depending upon Regional, State, or National Rules. You can just vary your starting point on the threaded rod to control how far back you go. If you refer to the videos in the Score Discussion thread you'll see the Mountain View car which uses this method.
When we used a two sided wingnut, it would get caught and stop the car even on the way forward. How do you implement it so that it doesn't?
xiangyu wrote:I encountered the same problem but then after experimenting found out that you don't need to saw off a wing. In my case on the way forward it is pushing against one side of the dowel and on the way back it's pushing along the back side of the same dowel where I will put a rubber stopper.
How do you securely attach the rubber stopper on only one side of your dowel?
I do not recommend using a dowel because it is wood and it will wear and shrink and/or expand depending upon humidity/temp. Better to use metal, like an aluminum strip. That strip can be drilled with holes and in one of those holes you can insert a stopper, like a round spacer (again aluminum is a good choice).

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”