Braking System

xiangyu
Division: Grad
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Braking System

Post by xiangyu »

Out of curiosity, how many teams are using a braking system for their MTV? Is it really crucial? My MTV doesn't have a braking system and I've just been controlling how far it comes back with how many winds I do, is this a good idea? I'm new to the event this year and need some guidance. Thanks!
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
mnoga
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Braking System

Post by mnoga »

xiangyu wrote:Out of curiosity, how many teams are using a braking system for their MTV? Is it really crucial? My MTV doesn't have a braking system and I've just been controlling how far it comes back with how many winds I do, is this a good idea? I'm new to the event this year and need some guidance. Thanks!
Yes, very crucial if you want to win a regional or state competition.
Things2do
State: TN

Post by Things2do »

I won Regions and got 5th at State by affixing my drive string to the axle and varying the winds on and off of the built up middle part. I woulda gotten higher at State, but I overcorrected the curve for my second run and wound up slightly farther away on both with my second run. On the other side of the dots...
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
xiangyu

Post by xiangyu »

Things2do wrote:I won Regions and got 5th at State by affixing my drive string to the axle and varying the winds on and off of the built up middle part. I woulda gotten higher at State, but I overcorrected the curve for my second run and wound up slightly farther away on both with my second run. On the other side of the dots...
Ok, so you don't have a braking system? I've been kind of doing what you are doing by varying up the winds and so far it seems to work. However, there were a lot of teams out there with braking systems and I'm wondering if I'm missing anything.
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

xiangyu wrote:
Things2do wrote:I won Regions and got 5th at State by affixing my drive string to the axle and varying the winds on and off of the built up middle part. I woulda gotten higher at State, but I overcorrected the curve for my second run and wound up slightly farther away on both with my second run. On the other side of the dots...
Ok, so you don't have a braking system? I've been kind of doing what you are doing by varying up the winds and so far it seems to work. However, there were a lot of teams out there with braking systems and I'm wondering if I'm missing anything.
generally it is better to use a braking system rather than use up string length, since you vary where you wrap the string around. By having an actual break, you can put more of the string toward the actual movement of the car, maybe even increase axle diameter to increase speed, as well as allowing you to wrap the same way every time, decreasing variability in order to increase consistency. Also by using a break, it can stop more reliably on the target point, with a higher speed as well.
xiangyu

Post by xiangyu »

Rossyspsce wrote:
xiangyu wrote:
generally it is better to use a braking system rather than use up string length, since you vary where you wrap the string around. By having an actual break, you can put more of the string toward the actual movement of the car, maybe even increase axle diameter to increase speed, as well as allowing you to wrap the same way every time, decreasing variability in order to increase consistency. Also by using a break, it can stop more reliably on the target point, with a higher speed as well.
Hmm interesting. Can you explain again how the braking system make the car faster? I'm a little confused sorry.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

xiangyu wrote: Hmm interesting. Can you explain again how the braking system make the car faster? I'm a little confused sorry.
I believe that it is because you can wind it so you have the maximum amount of power each run. There is no need to wind the string a certain number of times if you are using a separate braking system other than the string.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
xiangyu

Post by xiangyu »

MadCow2357 wrote:
xiangyu wrote: Hmm interesting. Can you explain again how the braking system make the car faster? I'm a little confused sorry.
I believe that it is because you can wind it so you have the maximum amount of power each run. There is no need to wind the string a certain number of times if you are using a separate braking system other than the string.
Oh, so like with a braking system I can just wrap the strings layer over layer and maximizing the power? that makes sense thanks!
xiangyu

Post by xiangyu »

Also, if I decide to install a braking system, it will probably be what everyone has been using which is the wingnut system. I'm curious if teams are making the stopper movable(which then they can adjust to each different length).
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

xiangyu wrote:Also, if I decide to install a braking system, it will probably be what everyone has been using which is the wingnut system. I'm curious if teams are making the stopper movable(which then they can adjust to each different length).
Why can't you just move the wingnut to the distance you want?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”