Thermodynamics B/C

JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by JoeyC »

Make sure to label! (almost lost points on that soon)
RishithR
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by RishithR »

Does K stay constant with a specific box?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

pigeon wrote:Does K stay constant with a specific box?
More or less
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
pigeon wrote:Does K stay constant with a specific box?
More or less
Not really - devices don't retain heat as well when volumes are altered, so k-values for lower volumes are generally worse than those for higher volumes. k-values should only be compared within their own volume ranges.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
builder83

Charts

Post by builder83 »

Just making sure I am getting my chart score perfect after reading this thread. I want to submit 4 or more time vs temp charts that can include 1 or more data series with 10 different temp readings per series. Label with units.

Also include a labeled picture diagram of box.

Question 2: Do you include a data series like at 56 or 58 degrees? (Assuming a 60 degree bath is used and the heat loss before I take my first reading.) Similarily do you bother with 75 degrees? (Division B)
Crimesolver
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Charts

Post by Crimesolver »

builder83 wrote:Just making sure I am getting my chart score perfect after reading this thread. I want to submit 4 or more time vs temp charts that can include 1 or more data series with 10 different temp readings per series. Label with units.

Also include a labeled picture diagram of box.

Question 2: Do you include a data series like at 56 or 58 degrees? (Assuming a 60 degree bath is used and the heat loss before I take my first reading.) Similarily do you bother with 75 degrees? (Division B)
Is the first one a question or a clarification?????? Yeah those are the parameters. To your second question, yes. You have to start whenever the thermometer hits the water and start timing from there. For 75 degrees, you would just heat the water to 75 degrees, then pour it in the beaker and measure for how long you need to.
Keep on going :)
Crimesolver
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Crimesolver »

Science Olympiad wrote:Heat Score (HS) = 20 x (lowest k of all teams)(the k value closest to zero of all teams) / k, where k is from Newton’s law of cooling: k = - (1 / cooling time) x ln((start water temp - room temp) / (final water temp - room temp))
Has anyone noticed this clarification? Just figured this out today. Does anyone know if recent competitions have been using this questions instead of the previous one?
Keep on going :)
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Crimesolver wrote:
Science Olympiad wrote:Heat Score (HS) = 20 x (lowest k of all teams)(the k value closest to zero of all teams) / k, where k is from Newton’s law of cooling: k = - (1 / cooling time) x ln((start water temp - room temp) / (final water temp - room temp))
Has anyone noticed this clarification? Just figured this out today. Does anyone know if recent competitions have been using this questions instead of the previous one?
This doesn't really impact anything. The official spreadsheet was already calculating this correctly. We previously said 'smallest', but due to the fact k is negative smallest technically is 'most negative'. However, anyone running the event would obviously know the objective it to retain the MOST heat, not LOSE the most heat, which is what you'd have to do to get a really large negative k value.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
JoeyC
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

Yeah, as long as the ES's know how the k value correlates with heat retention, it should be fine.
mjcox2000
State: VA

Post by mjcox2000 »

It seems to me like it's not an issue of retaining vs. losing heat, but rather an issue of the range of scores. Supposing the worst team had a k of 1.0 and the best had a k of 0.01: under the rules as written, the worst team would get 20 points and the best team 2,000, while the clarification makes it so the worst team gets 0.2 points and the best team 20. In both cases, the best team gets more points and the worst team gets fewer. It's just a question of whether scores should be in the range (0 .. 20) or the range (20 .. infinity).
MIT ‘23
TJHSST ‘19
Longfellow MS

See my user page for nationals medals and event supervising experience.

Return to “Thermodynamics B/C”