Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by CookiePie1 »

CPScienceDude wrote:
Kyzumi wrote:Does the beaker inside of the device have to be removable? Having aerogel surrounding the beaker makes it impossible for being able to take it out and putting it back. Will I have to work around that?
The rules say that it must be removable.
I would recommend trying to make a sleeve of sorts to hold the beaker.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
freed2003
State: CA

Post by freed2003 »

What law states that a hot and cold object in contact with eachother will eventually reach the same temperature? I thought it was the 0th but the answer key says its the 2nd and I cant see why
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

2nd law- Heat spontaneously flows from hot bodies to cold bodies. Because of this, heat will flow from the hotter body til neither body has more heat then the other; thermal equilibrium.
The 0th law simply states if a=b, b=c, then a=c. It's basically a given law, with little practical use.
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

JoeyC wrote:2nd law- Heat spontaneously flows from hot bodies to cold bodies. Because of this, heat will flow from the hotter body til neither body has more heat then the other; thermal equilibrium.
The 0th law simply states if a=b, b=c, then a=c. It's basically a given law, with little practical use.
Well the 0th law is still very important. It's the very principle behind temperature scales.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Crimesolver
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Crimesolver »

CookiePie1 wrote:
JoeyC wrote:2nd law- Heat spontaneously flows from hot bodies to cold bodies. Because of this, heat will flow from the hotter body til neither body has more heat then the other; thermal equilibrium.
Well the 0th law is still very important. It's the very principle behind temperature scales.
It's also the reason why your finger burns when you touch that thermo waTER
Keep on going :)
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

ehh, I mean, I understand the point of the 0th law, and that the principle is fundamental to life on Earth, but it's also kinda a given. (though I suppose if you get into high enough physics it may not be, but I'm not there yet)
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

JoeyC wrote:ehh, I mean, I understand the point of the 0th law, and that the principle is fundamental to life on Earth, but it's also kinda a given. (though I suppose if you get into high enough physics it may not be, but I'm not there yet)
Back when we didn't know what heat was, it wasn't obvious that all kinds of heat were the same: just energy. The 0th law allows us to rigorously define temperature scales and the like.
freed2003

Post by freed2003 »

Wait why does increasing temperature increase entropy if it’s in the denominator for entropy? Also doesn’t decreasing energy decrease entropy even though it’s in the numerator?
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

freed2003 wrote:Wait why does increasing temperature increase entropy if it’s in the denominator for entropy? Also doesn’t decreasing energy decrease entropy even though it’s in the numerator?
I think you're getting mixed up here. Heat over temperature is change in entropy, not total entropy. To answer your questions, it's easiest to use the statistical definition of entropy: the more possible microstates the system could be in, the more entropy the system has. If temperature is increased, the range of speeds that the particles in the system could be going is increased and so entropy is increased. Decreasing energy decreases the range of speeds the particles in the system could be going so entropy is decreased.
Crimesolver
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Crimesolver »

So here’s the situation: you are given a question where one of the values have 1 sit fig. Those that mean I ACTUALLY have it round to the first sig fig? I find that kinda weird because if the answer is 23.27, I’d have to round it to 20.
Last edited by Crimesolver on March 2nd, 2019, 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keep on going :)

Return to “Thermodynamics B/C”