CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by CookiePie1 »

JoeyC wrote:No. At least no one's tried......
Well, we did last year. It doesn't make that much of a difference to be honest, since there's the hole.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
olhs4n6
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by olhs4n6 »

JoeyC wrote:No. At least no one's tried......

One team at the Solon invite brought a screwdriver to screw closed their lid... Tape wouldn't be a bad idea, but some ES's might be weird about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

And there you have it. Honestly, if well constructed it doesn't make too much of a difference; or any at all as said by cookies above.
jocoboxo

Post by jocoboxo »

Hey everyone,

Does the initial water temperature correspond to the temperature of the water at the very start (before entering beaker), the temperature when it first enters the beaker, or the temperature of the water in the beaker AFTER the device is fastened? Also, can water be added to the beaker while the beaker is inside the device instead of outside? Does the clock start AFTER the device is secured/fastened?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

jocoboxo wrote:Hey everyone,

Does the initial water temperature correspond to the temperature of the water at the very start (before entering beaker), the temperature when it first enters the beaker, or the temperature of the water in the beaker AFTER the device is fastened? Also, can water be added to the beaker while the beaker is inside the device instead of outside? Does the clock start AFTER the device is secured/fastened?
The initial water temperature is the temperature of the source bath. I would measure the temperature after the water is poured in the beaker both for your tests and for the competition. The water may be added to the beaker while it is in the device if it is easily accessible. From what I've seen, the clock starts when they give you the water.
C8H10N4O2!

Post by C8H10N4O2! »

jocoboxo wrote:Hey everyone,

Water starting temp is the source temp--the temperature of the water bath before putting it into the device. Water can be added to the beaker while it is inside the device, as long as there is 'sufficient access' to the beaker (thus the lid basically cant be on). The clock starts when you receive the water/it is being poured in, not after you've closed your device. Hope this helps!
nateDC
State: MD

Post by nateDC »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
nateDC wrote:
satvik03 wrote:Also, k values are negative. The best k values are those that are closest to zero. Something like -0.0001 would easily win, and get 20 points.
Wouldn't a k value of -0.001 be better than -0.0001 because -0.001 is lower? And thus, a (hypothetical) k value of -1 would be even better, because it's even lower. K value closest to 0 isn't best, lowest k value is best.
According to the rules, closest to 0 is best. This makes sense since a k value closer to 0 yields a lower temperature drop.
Yeah I was wrong, I forgot the rules clarification........ :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I can't think of anything else to put here, so I just wrote this...
Kyzumi

Post by Kyzumi »

Does the beaker inside of the device have to be removable? Having aerogel surrounding the beaker makes it impossible for being able to take it out and putting it back. Will I have to work around that?
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by CPScienceDude »

Kyzumi wrote:Does the beaker inside of the device have to be removable? Having aerogel surrounding the beaker makes it impossible for being able to take it out and putting it back. Will I have to work around that?
The rules say that it must be removable.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!

Return to “Thermodynamics B/C”