Thermodynamics B/C Build

jgrischow1
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C Build

Post by jgrischow1 »

Possibly poorly run event story...

So obviously I didn't witness this and my student is a possibly unreliable narrator..but according to him, at a recent competition, he was at his device and the supervisor was close to bringing the water over, and my student either left and went back to his materials at his test to get his graphs or was told to, and when he came back, the supervisor had poured the water directly into the device...with the beaker sitting outside the device next to it on the counter. Is this, like, possible? The supervising school is one of the top teams in Ohio and I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CPScienceDude »

jgrischow1 wrote:Possibly poorly run event story...

So obviously I didn't witness this and my student is a possibly unreliable narrator..but according to him, at a recent competition, he was at his device and the supervisor was close to bringing the water over, and my student either left and went back to his materials at his test to get his graphs or was told to, and when he came back, the supervisor had poured the water directly into the device...with the beaker sitting outside the device next to it on the counter. Is this, like, possible? The supervising school is one of the top teams in Ohio and I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.
There’s literally a thread called Poorly Run Event Stories :lol: :?:
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
jgrischow1
Division: B
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

CPScienceDude wrote:
jgrischow1 wrote:Possibly poorly run event story...

There’s literally a thread called Poorly Run Event Stories :lol: :?:
I’m well aware; that’s why I referenced that phrase. I’m not sure what happened and since it’s rather specific to the logistics of this event I decided to mention it here.
TheChiScientist
State: IL

Post by TheChiScientist »

So you're telling me that the box got soaked? That sucks.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

TheChiScientist wrote:So you're telling me that the box got soaked? That sucks.
Not only does it suck, depending on the materials you used, you more or less have to rebuild your box. Tragic.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Crimesolver
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Crimesolver »

apparently sticking the box into a vacuum bag, sucking the living air out of it, and then using it actually improves the ability to insulate.
Keep on going :)
wec01
State: VA
Been thanked: 0

Post by wec01 »

Crimesolver wrote:apparently sticking the box into a vacuum bag, sucking the living air out of it, and then using it actually improves the ability to insulate.
I saw a div B team with a box that had an air pump attached so I think they were trying to create a vacuum. Not sure how well it worked though.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

wec01 wrote:
Crimesolver wrote:apparently sticking the box into a vacuum bag, sucking the living air out of it, and then using it actually improves the ability to insulate.
I saw a div B team with a box that had an air pump attached so I think they were trying to create a vacuum. Not sure how well it worked though.

I feel that would be so difficult to keep consistent due to the difficulty of making sure there actually is a vacuum created within the device walls. Did they keep the vacuum bag on it during testing??

But, if it works, great!
wec01
State: VA
Been thanked: 0

Post by wec01 »

JonB wrote:
wec01 wrote:

I feel that would be so difficult to keep consistent due to the difficulty of making sure there actually is a vacuum created within the device walls. Did they keep the vacuum bag on it during testing??

But, if it works, great!
I didn't see it in action, but it was a rigid container rather than a bag and it had a barometer which I assume helped with consistency.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

wec01 wrote:
JonB wrote:
wec01 wrote: I saw a div B team with a box that had an air pump attached so I think they were trying to create a vacuum. Not sure how well it worked though.

But, if it works, great!
I didn't see it in action, but it was a rigid container rather than a bag and it had a barometer which I assume helped with consistency.
The problem with homemade vacuum devices is that they are very unpredictable. Sure, it might work really well, but if there's an issue with the vacuum, it leaks and your prediction is messed up.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Thermodynamics B/C”