Thermodynamics B/C Build

lianasv
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C Build

Post by lianasv »

John Richardsim wrote:
lianasv wrote:hmm, yesterday at the COBRA invitational in MI, they left the thermometer in the beaker for the whole 25 min when measuring the temperature. Is that allowed since the heat is escaping my device by the thermometer??
There's a statement in the rules in section 4.f. saying that they can do this, but it they must announce that they are doing so before impound.
weird, they didn't say anything in impound.
2016:Optics/Invasive Species/Ecology
2017;Optics -1st region, 2nd St, 6th Nat, Rocks and Minerals (5th reg, 6th St, 15 Nat), Fast Facts- 5th region, Thermo-1st region
2018: Thermo-1st COBRA,8th Centerville Heredity- 9th COBRA. Water Quality- 11th Centerville, Density Lab-15th Centerville, 5th COBRA,
builder83

Post by builder83 »

It was discussed how not to get your beaker stuck when using spray foam. If I am understanding the rules correctly, can you make it so your beaker is stuck in the foam as long as there is access to the top?
Creationist127
Division: C
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Creationist127 »

builder83 wrote:It was discussed how not to get your beaker stuck when using spray foam. If I am understanding the rules correctly, can you make it so your beaker is stuck in the foam as long as there is access to the top?
3.c (emphasis added): "Within the device, participants must be able to insert and remove a beaker that they supply."
So, no. Besides, if you did that, putting the water in might splash your device, which, depending on your materials, could be bad for the device.
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, anything but Wright Stuff

Can I request that we delete 2020 from our memories and do it over again?
builder83

Post by builder83 »

I also assume it is pretty common practice to take your own temp reading after water has been given by ES? This can be done after bringing device back to table in the first 3 minutes? Thanks in advance
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

Yes. Always do this as somewhere in the transfer of the water to your beaker the temperature has already drooped~3-5*C.
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CPScienceDude »

JoeyC wrote:Yes. Always do this as somewhere in the transfer of the water to your beaker the temperature has already drooped~3-5*C.
I’d say that’s a little generous. I always loose around 8*C when pouring water into the beaker.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
as1092

Post by as1092 »

CookiePie1 wrote:
takuramen89 wrote:Hi guys,
So it's my second year on thermodynamics and last year I did pretty well on thermo. For reference here's the equation for my build's prediction last year, usually, it was 1-3 Degrees off at most.

Final Temp = 25 + (Initial temp - 25)e^ ((0.0000848(v) -0.0212)t)
t= time, v = volume (mL)

I used aerogel thermal wrapping inside and used Styrofoam for the actual box. Most attachments were done with hot glue/ ducktape.
So, I really want to make my build even better this year and a lot of the new rules I know are going to help make it better, but does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks                                                                                                                                                                                              
There's always a way to make things better. If you want, you can try gluing your device together with a stronger, more permanent adhesive. Since you have a whole season ahead of you, you could even try dabbling with vacuums and such. You can be really creative. Test-wise, you could learn more material and history. There's always something you can do to make it better.
Hey! How did you come up with that equation. Right now, our graphs are simply the temperature in relation to the time at specific volumes. How do combine all the data points up for multiple trials to get one equation?
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CPScienceDude »

as1092 wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:
takuramen89 wrote:Hi guys,
So it's my second year on thermodynamics and last year I did pretty well on thermo. For reference here's the equation for my build's prediction last year, usually, it was 1-3 Degrees off at most.

Final Temp = 25 + (Initial temp - 25)e^ ((0.0000848(v) -0.0212)t)
t= time, v = volume (mL)

I used aerogel thermal wrapping inside and used Styrofoam for the actual box. Most attachments were done with hot glue/ ducktape.
So, I really want to make my build even better this year and a lot of the new rules I know are going to help make it better, but does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks                                                                                                                                                                                              
There's always a way to make things better. If you want, you can try gluing your device together with a stronger, more permanent adhesive. Since you have a whole season ahead of you, you could even try dabbling with vacuums and such. You can be really creative. Test-wise, you could learn more material and history. There's always something you can do to make it better.
Hey! How did you come up with that equation. Right now, our graphs are simply the temperature in relation to the time at specific volumes. How do combine all the data points up for multiple trials to get one equation?
I too, would love to get some insight on this. Right now I just use multiple trails to find the average heat retention of my device (78%) and multiply the source bath temp by that number.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

CPScienceDude wrote:
as1092 wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:
I too, would love to get some insight on this. Right now I just use multiple trails to find the average heat retention of my device (78%) and multiply the source bath temp by that number.
I'm pretty sure the equations people use are just based off of Newton's Law of Cooling. However, I wouldn't really reccomend basing predictions off of an equation because we don't live in an idealized world, and it's overall more accurate to just take enough trials to be able to predict for a given temperature, volume, and time.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
geniusjohn5

Post by geniusjohn5 »

So let me get this straight: for the building portion of the event, do I just construct a small box made out of heat resistant material (styrofoam, cardboard, etc.) and that's it?
The biologist speculates, "What's the meaning of life?"
The physicist asks, "In the universe, does matter really matter?"
The chemist replies, "I shall find solutions to both questions."

Return to “Thermodynamics B/C”