Thermodynamics B/C Build

geniusjohn5
Division: C
State: -

Re: Thermodynamics B/C Build

Postby geniusjohn5 » February 3rd, 2019, 3:11 pm

I feel like I asked this question before but does the thickness of the material of the insulating device matter significantly in retaining the heat?
The biologist speculates, "What's the meaning of life?"
The physicist asks, "In the universe, does matter really matter?"
The chemist replies, "I shall find solutions to both questions."

MadCow2357
Division: B
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » February 3rd, 2019, 3:40 pm

geniusjohn5 wrote:I feel like I asked this question before but does the thickness of the material of the insulating device matter significantly in retaining the heat?

Yes, I recall you asking the question, and yes the thickness of the material matters.
MadCow2357's Userpage
2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Fossils, Roller Coaster, Thermodynamics
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
#BalsaManForever

CPScienceDude
State: IN

Postby CPScienceDude » February 3rd, 2019, 3:47 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:
geniusjohn5 wrote:I feel like I asked this question before but does the thickness of the material of the insulating device matter significantly in retaining the heat?

Yes, I recall you asking the question, and yes the thickness of the material matters.

Yes me too. But generally the thinner and more layers you can get the better. More layers you can get the better.
2019 Events - Thermo, Experimental Design, Crime Busters, Heredity, Mystery Arch.

Medals: 23
Hammond/Valpo/Regionals/State
Crime: 6/1/1/8
Exp Design: 2/x/x/x
Thermo: 3/9/1/4
Heredity: x/3/x/x
Mystery: x/x/1/4
Member of the Builder Cult
About me! https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:CPScienceDude

geniusjohn5
State: -

Postby geniusjohn5 » February 3rd, 2019, 6:30 pm

CPScienceDude wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:

Yes me too. But generally the thinner and more layers you can get the better. More layers you can get the better.

Can you explain why a thinner material is better?
The biologist speculates, "What's the meaning of life?"
The physicist asks, "In the universe, does matter really matter?"
The chemist replies, "I shall find solutions to both questions."

CPScienceDude

Postby CPScienceDude » February 3rd, 2019, 6:36 pm

geniusjohn5 wrote:
CPScienceDude wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:Yes, I recall you asking the question, and yes the thickness of the material matters.

Can you explain why a thinner material is better?

It’s not better because it’s thinner, but because you can get more layers in.
2019 Events - Thermo, Experimental Design, Crime Busters, Heredity, Mystery Arch.

olhs4n6
State: OH

Postby olhs4n6 » February 4th, 2019, 3:12 pm

I'm looking into 3D printing my box (we just attended Solon and saw some of the top teams used 3D printed boxes). I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to go about it and/or any precautions. Last year I remember someone advised me to not use a 3D printer, but I was wondering why. Thanks in advance!

CaTaStRoPhY
State: NY

Postby CaTaStRoPhY » February 5th, 2019, 6:15 am

On Saturday during the regionals, the supervisors poured 71C hot water into a graduated cylinder before pouring it into our beaker. We didn't account for this at all when we did our trials. I was surprised that our prediction was still good. I expected the initial temperature to drop dramatically because of the heat lost to the graduated cylinder and then also the beaker.

CPScienceDude

Postby CPScienceDude » February 5th, 2019, 6:17 am

CaTaStRoPhY wrote:On Saturday during the regionals, the supervisors poured 71C hot water into a graduated cylinder before pouring it into our beaker. We didn't account for this at all when we did our trials. I was surprised that our prediction was still good. I expected the initial temperature to drop dramatically because of the heat lost to the graduated cylinder and then also the beaker.

That is strange. I’ve been basing my predictions off after the water is poured, though. Maybe the cylinder was warm? Idk.

CaTaStRoPhY

Postby CaTaStRoPhY » February 5th, 2019, 6:22 am

CPScienceDude wrote:
CaTaStRoPhY wrote:On Saturday during the regionals, the supervisors poured 71C hot water into a graduated cylinder before pouring it into our beaker. We didn't account for this at all when we did our trials. I was surprised that our prediction was still good. I expected the initial temperature to drop dramatically because of the heat lost to the graduated cylinder and then also the beaker.

That is strange. I’ve been basing my predictions off after the water is poured, though. Maybe the cylinder was warm? Idk.

Yeah, my first temperature measurement was two minutes after pouring the water. And my partner said the same about the cylinder being warm too. But it just bothers me.
2018 events: Ecology, Microbe Mission, Thermodynamics, Herpetology
2019 events: Thermodynamics, Mousetrap Vehicle, Sounds of Music

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

Postby TheChiScientist » February 5th, 2019, 4:23 pm

CaTaStRoPhY wrote:
CPScienceDude wrote:

Yeah, my first temperature measurement was two minutes after pouring the water. And my partner said the same about the cylinder being warm too. But it just bothers me.

You people are forgetting a major aspect here. :P Note that any box built reasonably well built will reach thermal equilibrium. At this point temperature loss is nearly irrelevant as it's so low. I've encountered this multiple times but you must account for it as it will make your values higher.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019
Medal Count:30 8-)
Background In
Boomilever,Code Busters,Exp Design, Thermo, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Fermi

School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

CPScienceDude

Postby CPScienceDude » February 5th, 2019, 4:27 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:
CaTaStRoPhY wrote:
CPScienceDude wrote:That is strange. I’ve been basing my predictions off after the water is poured, though. Maybe the cylinder was warm? Idk.

You people are forgetting a major aspect here. :P Note that any box built reasonably well built will reach thermal equilibrium. At this point temperature loss is nearly irrelevant as it's so low. I've encountered this multiple times but you must account for it as it will make your values higher.

Huh, my equation is never more than 1.5 degrees off

CaTaStRoPhY

Postby CaTaStRoPhY » February 5th, 2019, 4:30 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:
CaTaStRoPhY wrote:
CPScienceDude wrote:That is strange. I’ve been basing my predictions off after the water is poured, though. Maybe the cylinder was warm? Idk.

Ooooh okay. So no matter what, my equation should work, right? I mean transferring water from one container to another shouldn't matter right?

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

Postby TheChiScientist » February 5th, 2019, 4:49 pm

CaTaStRoPhY wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
CaTaStRoPhY wrote:

Ooooh okay. So no matter what, my equation should work, right? I mean transferring water from one container to another shouldn't matter right?

Well to a degree. You have heat loss and then that heat loss increases to a point when water is transferred multiple times. So it can depend on the situation.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019
Medal Count:30 8-)
Background In
Boomilever,Code Busters,Exp Design, Thermo, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Fermi

School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

CookiePie1
State: NJ

Postby CookiePie1 » February 5th, 2019, 5:02 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:
CaTaStRoPhY wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:You people are forgetting a major aspect here. :P Note that any box built reasonably well built will reach thermal equilibrium. At this point temperature loss is nearly irrelevant as it's so low. I've encountered this multiple times but you must account for it as it will make your values higher.

Well to a degree. You have heat loss and then that heat loss increases to a point when water is transferred multiple times. So it can depend on the situation.

I still don't believe in equations and I say it's better to just go based on trials. It might work, but it probably won't...
South Brunswick High School '22
2019 Events: Thermodynamics, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible, Wright Stuff

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

CPScienceDude

Postby CPScienceDude » February 5th, 2019, 5:03 pm

CookiePie1 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
CaTaStRoPhY wrote:

I still don't believe in equations and I say it's better to just go based on trials. It might work, but it probably won't...

Well my equation is based on the trials and has so far proved to be very reliable.

Return to “Thermodynamics B/C”