Rapid Water temperature decrese???

athanzxyt
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rapid Water temperature decrese???

Post by athanzxyt »

A few days ago, I was at an invitational. The ES took the water out of the container (at 70.4 degrees Celsius) and poured it into our beaker and box. We shut the lid tightly 10 seconds after the ES finished pouring. We based our prediction score on the 70.4 degrees the gave us. Apparently, the first reading the temperature probe got was 61.5 degrees. Nearly 10 degrees lower. Can someone explain to me what happened? One of my teammates said that "the water just cools rapidly during that time period"
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Rapid Water temperature decrese???

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

athanzxyt wrote:A few days ago, I was at an invitational. The ES took the water out of the container (at 70.4 degrees Celsius) and poured it into our beaker and box. We shut the lid tightly 10 seconds after the ES finished pouring. We based our prediction score on the 70.4 degrees the gave us. Apparently, the first reading the temperature probe got was 61.5 degrees. Nearly 10 degrees lower. Can someone explain to me what happened? One of my teammates said that "the water just cools rapidly during that time period"
Your teammate is correct. Whenever you pour water, it cools rapidly. This is pretty much unavoidable. I would recommend taking the temperature of the water after you pour it for your tests and at the competition.
JoeyC
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

On this note, remember to conduct tests on the water on a range between 50-70*C, not just 60-70*C; often times once poured, the water temperature will be less than 60*C, so you must be prepared.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Keep in mind that the beaker starts at room temperature (20 to 25 degrees Celsius). When the water is poured in, there is an immediate decrease in temperature as the beaker and water reach an equilibrium temperature.

If I recall correctly my partner and I made this same mistake at our invitational. We worked around this by going off of the initial, pre-pour temperature when collecting data.
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CPScienceDude »

Same here. This is how i collected all of my data too. Though I realized this while making my prediction and decreased my prediction and ended up only being 1 degree off.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
satvik03
Division: B
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by satvik03 »

If you think about the room temperature, which can be up to and around 50 degrees lower than 70 degrees, a lot of heat must be lost when the ES is pouring the water. The more time spent pouring, the more temperature lost. So I guess all you can do is hope that the ES pours quickly. Your predictions should be made after pouring water. We found this out the hard way lol. :D
Community 2018-2019
2018-2019 Events:
LISO/Rustin/Regs/Garnet/Cornell/States/Nats!
Thermo: 1/1/x/x/2/5/12
Circuit: 2/3/x/4/10/1/11
Experimental Design: 2/1/1/10/5/1/13
2018-2019 Medal Count: 15
National "What Are You Trying To Tell Me" Champion! (lol)

Return to “Thermodynamics B/C”