Noob questions

cutelavendar
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Noob questions

Post by cutelavendar »

Hi, this is my first time competing in Thermodynamics so pls pardon by noob questions.

1. I have seen a video that explains the impound and experiment process, but somewhere in the video it mentions about using your graphs. Can someone explain what are these graphs? are they the ones that we experiment at home and build using the Newton's law of cooling? If so, how many graphs do i need to plot?

2. For predicting the final temperature, i need to have the heat score from my aparatus. What if the judges open my aparatus and when i put it back together, the heat score changes?

TIA
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Noob questions

Post by CookiePie1 »

cutelavendar wrote:Hi, this is my first time competing in Thermodynamics so pls pardon by noob questions.

1. I have seen a video that explains the impound and experiment process, but somewhere in the video it mentions about using your graphs. Can someone explain what are these graphs? are they the ones that we experiment at home and build using the Newton's law of cooling? If so, how many graphs do i need to plot?

2. For predicting the final temperature, i need to have the heat score from my aparatus. What if the judges open my aparatus and when i put it back together, the heat score changes?

TIA
It's fine; everybody's a noob at one point or another.
1. The graphs are made by you, when you test your device prior to competitions. It's really up to you what you want to plot on these graphs, and you will decide how you want to use them to your own advatage. The rules require at least 4 graphs for the chart score. If you want to make more you can, and if you want to make less you can, but it's your loss.

2. You can't calculate a heat score prior to competition because it is based on other teams. However, you can find your k value and use that. It's also up to you how you want to make your predictions and what methods you use. the ES generally won't make you take apart your device unless they suspect cheating. If you do cheat and the ES decides to take your device apart, it's your loss. However, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Good luck!
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
cutelavendar

Post by cutelavendar »

Thanks @CookiePie for the answers. Appreciate your help :)

Some additional questions:
1) what graph variations do you recomend? like starting temperature at 60 degrees 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90?
2) i have also seen someone talk about the quantity...does it matter as the NLofCooling is independent of volume
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

cutelavendar wrote:Thanks @CookiePie for the answers. Appreciate your help :)

Some additional questions:
1) what graph variations do you recomend? like starting temperature at 60 degrees 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90?
2) i have also seen someone talk about the quantity...does it matter as the NLofCooling is independent of volume
I'll answer 2—the quantity does matter since a greater amount of water will have a higher heat capacity. This means that the temperature will change less. Therefore, you need to test at different volumes in order to get an accurate prediction.
cutelavendar

Post by cutelavendar »

Thanks. Can some pls share the graphs that they have used in the past. It will give me a good starting point.
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by CPScienceDude »

cutelavendar wrote:Thanks. Can some pls share the graphs that they have used in the past. It will give me a good starting point.
I use line graphs. I did tests at temperature intervals of 2 degrees Celsius. Starting at 75 then 74, 72, 70, 68, 66, 64, 62, and 60. Every 2 min I would record the temp and plot the point on my graph. I'll try to get a picture of an old one from an old device I used.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CPScienceDude »

Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Just to add to this, if you're doing lots of graphs, you might consider using spreadsheet software like LibreOffice Calc or Google Sheets to make your life easier.
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CPScienceDude »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Just to add to this, if you're doing lots of graphs, you might consider using spreadsheet software like LibreOffice Calc or Google Sheets to make your life easier.
Yea, the one above was handmade and took pretty long, actually. Nevertheless, it’s a good starting place.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!

Return to “Thermodynamics B/C”