A Few Thermometer Related Questions

waterdragon321
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A Few Thermometer Related Questions

Post by waterdragon321 »

Hey, Science Olympiad! I had a few questions related to my thermometer and measurements.

1. Are we allowed to use our own thermometer?
2. If 1. is correct, are we allowed to use a thermometer with a digital reading & thermo-couple?
3. Do our temperature readings and predictions include decimal points?
4. Does the thermometer stay in the device during the experiment?

Thank you!
~ We are the hearts ~
~ And the future runs through our bones ~
carefreepenguin
Division: B
State: CA

Re: A Few Thermometer Related Questions

Post by carefreepenguin »

Interesting question. +1!
MattChina
State: NY

Post by MattChina »

waterdragon321 wrote:Hey, Science Olympiad! I had a few questions related to my thermometer and measurements.

1. Are we allowed to use our own thermometer?
2. If 1. is correct, are we allowed to use a thermometer with a digital reading & thermo-couple?
3. Do our temperature readings and predictions include decimal points?
4. Does the thermometer stay in the device during the experiment?

Thank you!
1. Yes
2. yes
3. it depends what thermometer the es uses, but i think they would use ones with decimal points.
4. It could, depending on Event Supervisor.
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member
satvik03
State: NJ

Post by satvik03 »

1. Yes, you can use your own thermometer to make your prediction, but the ES uses his or her own thermometer to record source temperature and end temperature.
2. Yes
3. Yes, everything is rounded to nearest tenth
4. Normally no
Community 2018-2019
2018-2019 Events:
LISO/Rustin/Regs/Garnet/Cornell/States/Nats!
Thermo: 1/1/x/x/2/5/12
Circuit: 2/3/x/4/10/1/11
Experimental Design: 2/1/1/10/5/1/13
2018-2019 Medal Count: 15
National "What Are You Trying To Tell Me" Champion! (lol)
C8H10N4O2!

Post by C8H10N4O2! »

For number 4, is the answer really usually not?
I've competed in this event several times now. About half the time, the thermometer stayed in the device the entire time--the ES had usually managed to acquire labquests, so that they could set the collection time, and have a volunteer start the thermometer the second we got the water. I have found that when this didnt happen, your time was slightly off, sometimes by as much as 4 minutes which is a difference of a degree or two, and can easily mess up my prediction.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

C8H10N4O2! wrote:For number 4, is the answer really usually not?
I've competed in this event several times now. About half the time, the thermometer stayed in the device the entire time--the ES had usually managed to acquire labquests, so that they could set the collection time, and have a volunteer start the thermometer the second we got the water. I have found that when this didnt happen, your time was slightly off, sometimes by as much as 4 minutes which is a difference of a degree or two, and can easily mess up my prediction.
I never had a competition where they did this last year. Since they added the rule with the cotton ball this year, it doesn't really make sense to keep the thermometer in in my opinion.
Last edited by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F on February 19th, 2019, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olhs4n6
Division: C
State: OH

Post by olhs4n6 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
C8H10N4O2! wrote:For number 4, is the answer really usually not?
I'd never had a competition where they did this last year. Since they added the rule with the cotton ball this year, it doesn't really make sense to keep the thermometer in in my opinion.
I've also never had this happen. I'm lucky enough that my coach runs thermo at invites/regionals, and I've made sure that she knows how important time is. They use multiple stopwatches, and have 2 LabQuests to measure at the end of your time interval. At OH state tournament last year they had no idea how to time, and left the thermometer in the whole time. I guess it depends in the ES...

Return to “Thermodynamics B/C”