Thermodynamics Build Ideas

athanzxyt
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Thermodynamics Build Ideas

Post by athanzxyt »

Anyone have any good designs or materials that make your box better than everyone else? My box is crafted from 30 hours of research and yet our box can only barely out-preform a box built in 2 hours. Does anyone have any suggestions?
wec01
Division: Grad
State: VA

Re: Thermodynamics Build Ideas

Post by wec01 »

I would suggest experimenting a bit with different materials and designs. While research is helpful, sometimes it's easier to just build some quick boxes and see what happens.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
LIPX3
Division: C

Post by LIPX3 »

I don't understand why people are so focused on the box, I made mine in about half an hour with some old insulation, a table saw, and glue, and it performed well every time it was used.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

LIPX3 wrote:I don't understand why people are so focused on the box, I made mine in about half an hour with some old insulation, a table saw, and glue, and it performed well every time it was used.
I had a similar experience. I don't know how much the rules have changed, but last year, what really seemed to matter was the predictions and getting a competitive score on the test portion. My box itself was kind of just haphazardly stuck together.
wec01
Division: Grad
State: VA

Post by wec01 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
LIPX3 wrote:I don't understand why people are so focused on the box, I made mine in about half an hour with some old insulation, a table saw, and glue, and it performed well every time it was used.
I had a similar experience. I don't know how much the rules have changed, but last year, what really seemed to matter was the predictions and getting a competitive score on the test portion. My box itself was kind of just haphazardly stuck together.
This year, even though the heat score is weighted the same, it's calculated by k-value so I think it's easier to lose points, although I haven't actually checked the math so correct me if I'm wrong.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

wec01 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
This year, even though the heat score is weighted the same, it's calculated by k-value so I think it's easier to lose points, although I haven't actually checked the math so correct me if I'm wrong.
I think the heat score is pretty trivial as long as your device isn't really terrible. Anything will be fine as long as it insulates to some degree and you can make good predictions.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

CookiePie1 wrote:
wec01 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: I had a similar experience. I don't know how much the rules have changed, but last year, what really seemed to matter was the predictions and getting a competitive score on the test portion. My box itself was kind of just haphazardly stuck together.
I think the heat score is pretty trivial as long as your device isn't really terrible. Anything will be fine as long as it insulates to some degree and you can make good predictions.
That's what I experienced as well, and the prediction doesn't matter that much, as long as you're within two degrees. Even if you're that far off, you still get 20 out of 25 points in that category.

Return to “Thermodynamics B/C”