knottingpurple
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

Post by knottingpurple »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
bearasauras wrote:
Caltech's a much smaller place but there's no shortage of people willing to support every aspect of Science Olympiad. But that's probably just another reason why Caltech >> MIT. :P
Chill...they're allowed to run their organization however they want. Y'all can talk about all the issues ya want, but they can choose to do what they want to do about it, not us.
Pika... of course they are allowed to run their organization how they want. But establishing yourself as maybe the nation's top tournament outside of nationals invites this sort of scrutiny. You cannot fault the tournament organizers for taking time to update their website, but you also cannot fault prospective teams and participants from wanting to have up-to-date information available.
I think the thing is that posting a list of team names on the old website, and creating a new website, are not mutually exclusive activities - it's more helpful to competitors in the moment to have a little bit of information now, even if the entire website isn't revamped, than it is to know there will be a whole new website coming in a month or whenever. I can see why a lot of the base of the site hasn't been updated, that's reasonable, but a team list could feasibly be added to the front announcement page while we're waiting for the fully updated website.

But I have absolutely nothing to do with this tournament so I'm not particularly bothered either way.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Unome wrote:The fact that we are talking about such relatively minor issues is indicative of how good the tournament as a whole is.
This is true. The logistics involved in hosting a tournament of this size are extensive, particularly when you have to negotiate with a university for space. Despite this challenge, MIT has consistently done a superb job.

I do think that posting a list of participating teams (even if tentative) is very beneficial. It helps participants make informed choices, and in my experience often incentivizes registered teams to stay registered, as they can see the tangible competition they will face. But Pika is also right - this is their tournament, they can do as they see fit. I doubt their priority is satisfying our curiosity.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

pikachu4919 wrote:
bearasauras wrote:
Caltech's a much smaller place but there's no shortage of people willing to support every aspect of Science Olympiad. But that's probably just another reason why Caltech >> MIT. :P
Chill...they're allowed to run their organization however they want. Y'all can talk about all the issues ya want, but they can choose to do what they want to do about it, not us.
Pretty sure it was a joke...and if it was more about everyone else (east, Unome, etc) they are pointing out constructive criticism. They aren't saying "MIT is the worst", they are saying "MIT isn't perfect, this is one way to improve". I agree there might bigger issues (with any tournament, including MIT), but I don't see this as purely complaining to complain...Sorry I'm also butting in, I don't mean to blow this out of proportion, in fact I'm trying to state the opposite / agree with you pika that this should be chill...but saying the issues are valid.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Boss
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Boss »

pikachu4919 wrote:
bearasauras wrote:
Unome wrote: Delegation necessitates others willing to do the job. Hopefully MIT has some, but as large as they are, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.
This is a bit of an overreaction... As others have stated, constructive criticism should be welcomed. While I do not know the specifics as to how large the organizing team at MIT scioly is, it seems like they could really use more hands to help - and understandably so, they have one of the largest and most complex tournaments in the nation. If other organizations like Princeton and Harvard have organizing teams between 15-20, I would think a tournament like MIT should have numbers like that as a minimum, and perhaps aim to be in a range between 20-30. Sure it gets hard to communicate effectively and hold meetings, but if you can find a way to effectively delegate and structure it like a large company would, it should be achievable.
University organizing teams are all composed of busy college students, and time is not readily available to most. Expanding the organizing team is a necessity to maintain sanity (and GPAs) of the organizers.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

I think this conversation has become largely speculative. None of us are in a position to know how large their organizing team is nor what other tasks might be taking precedence over their website. They've run a successful tournament in the past, and therefore generally deserve the benefit of the doubt.

It would be nice if they could upload a team list publicly - on their website, on Scioly, or another place of their choosing. Not doing so, while inconvenient to attending teams and outside observers, is hardly a major flaw. I think we've probably covered the known facts thoroughly at this point....
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

nicholasmaurer wrote:I think this conversation has become largely speculative. None of us are in a position to know how large their organizing team is nor what other tasks might be taking precedence over their website. They've run a successful tournament in the past, and therefore generally deserve the benefit of the doubt.

It would be nice if they could upload a team list publicly - on their website, on Scioly, or another place of their choosing. Not doing so, while inconvenient to attending teams and outside observers, is hardly a major flaw. I think we've probably covered the known facts thoroughly at this point....
I'm in agreement with you.
Userpage

Name
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Name »

MIT has updated thier site and that includes the list of teams :)
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
Unome

Post by Unome »

Name wrote:MIT has updated thier site and that includes the list of teams :)
The new site looks quite nice.

scioly.mit.edu
Userpage

pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Unome wrote:
Name wrote:MIT has updated thier site and that includes the list of teams :)
The new site looks quite nice.

scioly.mit.edu
See, I told ya that my friend would do an amazing job with it :P plus, the LaTeX PDFs!! :D
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!

MY CABBAGES!
anagene

Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

Post by anagene »

This site is much easier to navigate.
Much prefer it.
Did I miss the page with teams and their states?
He had the look of one who had drunk the cup of life and found a dead beetle at the bottom.

Return to “2019 Invitationals”