Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

Area to advertise for your competitions!
User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4037
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

Postby Unome » February 13th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Name wrote:
Unome wrote:I would recommend trying a different method of communication if you've received no response via email. (not much else you can do really)

Such as?

Not sure. You could try to find a personal email address. Alternatively, you could try Facebook - I've done this on occasion. If you know someone personally who's involved with the tournament, that might be a good route. I assume you've already bumped the original email?
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

primitive_polonium
Member
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: August 3rd, 2013, 9:00 am
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

Postby primitive_polonium » February 13th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Unome wrote:
Name wrote:
Unome wrote:I would recommend trying a different method of communication if you've received no response via email. (not much else you can do really)

Such as?

Not sure. You could try to find a personal email address. Alternatively, you could try Facebook - I've done this on occasion. If you know someone personally who's involved with the tournament, that might be a good route. I assume you've already bumped the original email?


My understanding is that only a few people have access to the main email, but that they've been bumped in person so things should hopefully get resolved soon.
Div D! I really like chem, oceanography, and nail polish--not in that order.

Troy HS, co2016.

Feel free to PM me about SciOly or college or whatever! I really enjoy making online friends.

C8H10N4O2!
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: October 4th, 2018, 3:55 pm
State: -

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

Postby C8H10N4O2! » February 19th, 2019, 7:42 pm

Just an update, but yay we finally got our tests back! Several of the grades are quite a meme (so low lol), but overall, the MIT scioly experience was pretty good and fun!

WangwithaTang
Member
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: January 3rd, 2019, 8:48 pm

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

Postby WangwithaTang » March 20th, 2019, 10:09 pm

C8H10N4O2! wrote:Just an update, but yay we finally got our tests back! Several of the grades are quite a meme (so low lol), but overall, the MIT scioly experience was pretty good and fun!

What were the scores anyway?

User avatar
pikachu4919
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 643
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!]

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

Postby pikachu4919 » March 23rd, 2019, 12:45 pm

WangwithaTang wrote:
C8H10N4O2! wrote:Just an update, but yay we finally got our tests back! Several of the grades are quite a meme (so low lol), but overall, the MIT scioly experience was pretty good and fun!

What were the scores anyway?


Overall scores: https://app.avogadro.ws/invitational/mit-c/

In the folder with the exams and keys, the maximum score in each event is published (no distributions or other raw scores). Raw scores are hard to get in general, you have to have connections with the people who either have them or have access to them, and even so, they likely will not be willing to disclose them.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics


Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Rate my tests!

User avatar
sciolyperson1
Member
Member
Posts: 387
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

Postby sciolyperson1 » April 6th, 2019, 5:59 pm

Not sure if anyone noticed, but MIT wrote on April Fools Day that they're running a Div A invy, and discontinuing their Div C tourney.
http://scioly.mit.edu/updates/index.html
MIT Scioly wrote:Hello everyone!

It is with great excitment that we announce the first year of our new Division A tournament. We are eager to begin blazing new paths in furthering science outreach and are ready to welcome elementary-school students onto our campus.

Naturally, this necessitates the discontinuation of our Division C tournament.
HSN '22
Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Mystery Architecture - 3rd '19
Battery Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission Possible - 3rd '17

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 776
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

Postby dxu46 » April 6th, 2019, 6:02 pm

sciolyperson1 wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed, but MIT wrote on April Fools Day that they're running a Div A invy, and discontinuing their Div C tourney.
http://scioly.mit.edu/updates/index.html
MIT Scioly wrote:Hello everyone!

It is with great excitment that we announce the first year of our new Division A tournament. We are eager to begin blazing new paths in furthering science outreach and are ready to welcome elementary-school students onto our campus.

Naturally, this necessitates the discontinuation of our Division C tournament.

oh my goodness the mods have ruined MIT scioly with their April Fools joke

primitive_polonium
Member
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: August 3rd, 2013, 9:00 am
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

Postby primitive_polonium » April 8th, 2019, 7:54 am

dxu46 wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed, but MIT wrote on April Fools Day that they're running a Div A invy, and discontinuing their Div C tourney.
http://scioly.mit.edu/updates/index.html
MIT Scioly wrote:Hello everyone!

It is with great excitment that we announce the first year of our new Division A tournament. We are eager to begin blazing new paths in furthering science outreach and are ready to welcome elementary-school students onto our campus.

Naturally, this necessitates the discontinuation of our Division C tournament.

oh my goodness the mods have ruined MIT scioly with their April Fools joke


Pretty sure it's also an April Fools' Day joke--check the post date.
Div D! I really like chem, oceanography, and nail polish--not in that order.

Troy HS, co2016.

Feel free to PM me about SciOly or college or whatever! I really enjoy making online friends.

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 776
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

Postby dxu46 » April 8th, 2019, 8:47 am

primitive_polonium wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed, but MIT wrote on April Fools Day that they're running a Div A invy, and discontinuing their Div C tourney.
http://scioly.mit.edu/updates/index.html

oh my goodness the mods have ruined MIT scioly with their April Fools joke


Pretty sure it's also an April Fools' Day joke--check the post date.

But if it were an April Fool's joke then why would there be so many details?

TheCrazyChemist
Member
Member
Posts: 130
Joined: March 17th, 2019, 9:12 am
Division: C
State: CT
Location: Trying to have a summer while still doing academic things

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

Postby TheCrazyChemist » April 8th, 2019, 5:23 pm

dxu46 wrote:
primitive_polonium wrote:
dxu46 wrote:oh my goodness the mods have ruined MIT scioly with their April Fools joke


Pretty sure it's also an April Fools' Day joke--check the post date.

But if it were an April Fool's joke then why would there be so many details?

To convince people that it's not a joke.
Anything I do does not reflect anyone or anything but me and my opinions. Any acts of idiocy committed by me should be treated likewise.
TheCrazyChemist's Userpage
Failed Co-Sassy of Scioly Assassination 138: Tanks and Turrets.

User avatar
builderguy135
Member
Member
Posts: 416
Joined: September 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Division: B
State: NJ

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

Postby builderguy135 » April 8th, 2019, 5:38 pm

TheCrazyChemist wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
primitive_polonium wrote:
Pretty sure it's also an April Fools' Day joke--check the post date.

But if it were an April Fool's joke then why would there be so many details?

To convince people that it's not a joke.


whoooosh
Community '18, HSN '22 & DMAH Co-Captain ;)
Follow us! https://www.instagram.com/dmahscio/
6-time medalist in Nationals 2019!
Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Elastic Launched Glider - 2nd, '19
Mystery Architecture - 3rd, '19
Road Scholar - 4th, '19
Battery Buggy - 4th, '19

pb5754[]
Member
Member
Posts: 369
Joined: March 5th, 2017, 7:49 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

Postby pb5754[] » May 20th, 2019, 12:53 pm

According to their website, MIT is hosting their 2020 tournament on January 25.

smh why do they switch weekends every year.

User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3000
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Location: At work trying to be a real adult
Contact:

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » May 20th, 2019, 12:57 pm

pb5754[] wrote:According to their website, MIT is hosting their 2020 tournament on January 25.

smh why do they switch weekends every year.

Probably has to do when the facilities they want to use are available. Dealing with university administration can be very restrictive sometimes.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

primitive_polonium
Member
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: August 3rd, 2013, 9:00 am
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

Postby primitive_polonium » May 20th, 2019, 1:22 pm

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:According to their website, MIT is hosting their 2020 tournament on January 25.

smh why do they switch weekends every year.

Probably has to do when the facilities they want to use are available. Dealing with university administration can be very restrictive sometimes.


MIT's always tradtionally been the weekend after MLK day. It's just through the years, people (including the MIT people lol) started to assume it was the 3rd Saturday of every January since up until this year, the 3rd Saturday of January also happened to be the Saturday after MLK day. 1/19/2019 happened to conflict with Mystery Hunt (I think), which has been around for decades and takes up all the rooms, so MIT SciOly shifted the tourney a week early to 1/12/19 in response.

Also, facilities.
Div D! I really like chem, oceanography, and nail polish--not in that order.

Troy HS, co2016.

Feel free to PM me about SciOly or college or whatever! I really enjoy making online friends.


Return to “Invitationals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest