Cornell Invitational (Division B and C)

lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Cornell Invitational (Division B and C)

Post by lumosityfan »

Paypog wrote:
lumosityfan wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
Anything is possible, I never said that they couldn't beat them.
Except that your logic in thinking that Bay Academy went down from 8th to 9th is that the other 8 teams are "top tier nats teams" which is not the best case of logic if you're assuming that Bay Academy isn't one of those "top tier nats teams" (which through the results so far this year which is what we should be basing these predictions on as well show that they've done well against the "top tier nats teams" minus solon, beckendorff, piedmont, and marie murphy, whom they haven't faced so far this season)
Uh they haven't faced SSA yet..
Oh derp true.
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

drcubbin wrote:Changing predictions already lol
1) Solon
2) Beckendorff
3) Community
4) Springhouse
5) Gelinas
6) Piedmont
7) Marie Murphy
8) SSA
9) Bay Academy
10) Eagle Hill
11) Goff
12) Bedford
13) Harlan Rowe
Bay Academy just took 4th and 2nd (right behind Springhouse) at Harvard today and our "predicted" place for Cornell goes from 8th to 9th? I know anything is possible, but I think that crystal ball needs a little polishing ;)
Bay Academy is still 2nd of all the New York teams in this prediction. I think it's a pretty fair prediction for stacked scores (since trying to predict pure placement at invitationals is nearly impossible).
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 »

drcubbin wrote:Changing predictions already lol

1) Solon
2) Beckendorff
3) Community
4) Springhouse
5) Gelinas
6) Piedmont
7) Marie Murphy
8) SSA
9) Bay Academy
10) Eagle Hill
11) Goff
12) Bedford
13) Harlan Rowe
Bay Academy just took 4th and 2nd (right behind Springhouse) at Harvard today and our "predicted" place for Cornell goes from 8th to 9th? I know anything is possible, but I think that crystal ball needs a little polishing ;)

My predictions:
Solon - First nats, first ohio
Beckendorff - 8th nats, First texas
Community - 3rd nats, first NJ
Springhouse - 5th nats, first PA
Gelinas - 11th nats, 1st NY
Piedmont - 6th nats, 1st n. carolina
Marie Murphy - 3rd illinois, lost because of a tier in 1 event (previously 2nd nats (2011, 2012), 8th in 2016
SSA - 13th nats, 2nd PA
Bay Academy - 5th NY, although you've been improving a lot
Eagle Hill - 4th NY, recently 14th-18th at nats (2015-2017)
Goff - 19th nats, 3rd NY
Bedford - 2th nats, 1st connecticut
Harlan rowe - 7th PA

I moved SSA up because of their amazing improvement at Solon (5th to 3rd this year), especially against many other good teams.

Harvard invy:
Springhouse - 5th nats, first PA
Bay Academy - 5th NY, although you've been improving a lot
Lyme - 2nd CT
Primoris - 6th at UCC NJ regionals
William Diamond - 2nd massachusetts (2016)

My predictions were based off of results from this season. The teams I placed above Bay are all extremely good and have placed very well at nats. I even placed Bay above Eagle Hill and Goff ;) I'm not saying that you guys won't do well at states or even nats.

edit: fixing quotes oof
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

lumosityfan wrote:
Paypog wrote:
lumosityfan wrote:
Except that your logic in thinking that Bay Academy went down from 8th to 9th is that the other 8 teams are "top tier nats teams" which is not the best case of logic if you're assuming that Bay Academy isn't one of those "top tier nats teams" (which through the results so far this year which is what we should be basing these predictions on as well show that they've done well against the "top tier nats teams" minus solon, beckendorff, piedmont, and marie murphy, whom they haven't faced so far this season)
Oh derp true.
Ok, it's been a long day (and this old man needs his beauty rest)! But if you are saying we haven't faced Shady Side Academy (SSA?), we have... last year at Cornell. SSA - 2nd (103), Bay Academy - 5th (171). So here's my question, why is it that anyone who reads this knows my name and my school (which I couldn't be more proud of), while others sometimes post "unintentionally" inaccurate information at best, but not their names or schools? Any predictions on the responses I will receive?
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

drcubbin wrote:
lumosityfan wrote:
Paypog wrote:
Oh derp true.
Ok, it's been a long day (and this old man needs his beauty rest)! But if you are saying we haven't faced Shady Side Academy (SSA?), we have... last year at Cornell. SSA - 2nd (103), Bay Academy - 5th (171). So here's my question, why is it that anyone who reads this knows my name and my school (which I couldn't be more proud of), while others sometimes post "unintentionally" inaccurate information at best, but not their names or schools? Any predictions on the responses I will receive?
Generally references to teams facing other teams apply to the current year, unless otherwise specified. So, for the purposes of Paypog's statement, yes, Bay Academy and SSA have not met yet this year.

As for providing names and schools, that is something we as a site allow users to provide should they wish, but it is not something we require.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
wzhang5460
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Post by wzhang5460 »

I would switch Springhouse and Gelinas since we beat them at LISO and at Rustin.
Circuit Lab NY State Champion with legendary circuitologist Eric Wang
LONGEST DEFENDING ROCKS AND MINERALS REGIONAL CHAMPION OF EASTERN LONG ISLAND IN HISTORY ~4 YEARS AND COUNTING
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

drcubbin wrote:
lumosityfan wrote:
Paypog wrote:
Oh derp true.
Just curious, can you post your own predictions? Thanks! :D
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 »

drcubbin wrote:
lumosityfan wrote:
Paypog wrote:
Oh derp true.
Sorry if I was acting too arrogant in my posts before. Personally, I try making my predictions as intentionally accurate as possible - I got my predictions by giving every team an imaginary number that came from results in previous invitationals. I gave my team 100 points and tried to estimate where everyone else would be compared to us. I even took bombs to account, assuming most teams wouldn't bomb at cornell. I don't have the numbers now but I can tell you that 5th to about 11th were within 80 points, and at least 4 of them tied in my original predictions.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
waffletree
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by waffletree »

just sayin that ssa has been so consistent over the years and they've had their ups and downs, but they've been one of the top teams in PA since forever. i don't think that rising teams will be able to knock ssa back that much.
and bay academy is pretty darn close to the top tier nats teams, and they may break through to be one of the top teams within a few years, but idk if they have stability that teams like solon, community, gelinas, etc., have yet, only because of how new of a team they are.
builder cult vp // #treegang
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

lumosityfan wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
drcubbin wrote:
Solon, Beckendorff, us, Springhouse, Gelinas, Piedmont, Marie Murphy, and SSA are all top tier nats teams. The teams got 1st, 8th, 3rd, 5th, 11th, 6th, (missed nats cuz of roller bomb), and 13th. In addition, Bedford got 25th and Goff got 19th. You guys might beat one or two schools in the top 8, but I think the placement will range from 7th to 10th. (Dont take any of this personally lol)
And who says that Bay Academy can't reach those heights either? Remember that Springhouse just 3 years ago was in Bay Academy's shoes. Same with Beckendorff. So it's not crazy to think that Bay Academy can't upend a couple of those "top tier nats teams."
I wouldn't quite say that. 3 years ago, Springhouse was coming off of an 11th place finish at Nationals and one of the lowest scores in state history. I doubt Bay Academy will be upending anyone currently major, but I could see them beating e.g. Marie Murphy. I don't think they can challenge Piedmont, Gelinas, or Springhouse without getting lucky or improving drastically.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2019 Invitationals”