2020 LISO Invitational (Long Island, NY) Div B & C

Area to advertise for your competitions!
Giantpants
Division: C
State: NY

Re: 2020 LISO Invitational (Long Island, NY) Div B & C

Postby Giantpants » December 9th, 2019, 7:27 am

we got 2/3 i wrote mid ocean for divergent and trench for convergent, transform i did smth dumb, but that's really weird
Aw darn that’s kinda irksome that that was counted against us. Oh well what can one do lol
Which software did they use for sounds of music?
Both the proctors at Cornell and LISO said it was the recommended software, so that’s why I think it could probably make another appearance. As for what the software itself was, I’m not so sure?
President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

2020 Events: Dynamic Planet, Geologic Mapping, Sounds of Music, Astronomy

builderguy135
State: NJ

Postby builderguy135 » December 9th, 2019, 7:48 am

Sounds of Music (3rd) - Another great test by the Mount Academy squad. Covered a lot of stuff, showed us what we knew and what we didn’t (solfege, my partner and I were sounding out the Star Spangled Banner during the test and writing out pitches, that was very tough, as well as volume units at the very end lol) The proctors running it were very nice also!! Easy 10/10 from me.
Lol were you the team behind us humming the song? None of us could remember what the Star Spangled Banner sounded like lol
HSN '22 & DMAH Co-Captain
6-time medalist in Nationals 2019
2020 Events: Detector/PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » December 9th, 2019, 8:02 am

Maybe it’s just an indicator that there some sort of limit on the amount of teams that one can feasibly host.
Boyceville intensifies
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Here

Postby Here » December 9th, 2019, 9:11 am

kinda late but whatever lol

Anatomy (9th): Good test and well written, especially the muscular section. As TCC said, nothing too special but overall good. 8/10

Designer (welp): Honestly, this one came as somewhat of a surprise. We didn’t think it was that bad, but we got a lot more wrong than we expected. I think we compared it a lot to the Cornell test, which was much harder, so it seemed easier than it actually was. Looking back the test was pretty good, and had a good split of amounts of content for each section. 7/10

Experimental (3rd): I wasn’t a big fan of the room it was run in, since we were at big tables and sat directly next to and across from other teams and had to sit next to each other, when we tend to sit at tables where we can sit across from each other, making it much easier to run an experiment. We also kept having our marbles roll away toward other teams since there was practically no space between us lol. Not bad otherwise, except the event supervisors kept standing in front of the clock on the screen so we couldn’t really see how much time was left. It was generally run well, although we did get points off for not including things which we included on the back of pages (we included arrows and “see back” so idk what happened but) 5/10

Ornithology (4th): A lot of things went wrong for us in this event, but I think it’s mainly since we were in first time block. Supervisors did not arrive for a bit and the room was locked, and when they did arrive we had to wait outside for longer while they set up (which was already after the time the event was supposed to start). When we got in, they thought the first time block was at 8:40 and that we were there to sign up for time slots, since they were apparently not informed that time slot signups occurred online and there was a 7:30 time slot (so I don’t blame the supervisors since they seemed completely unaware of this lol.) Once they started to set up the PowerPoint, there were issues with lighting and once we got to the slides with the calls they were not able to play them at first since it was the first run with the powerpoint. The test content itself was not bad, and there was a good amount of time per slide. I think it was just that we were the first time block so we happened to have this experience lol. 2/10

Overall it wasn’t bad, although the food and awards situation kinda sucked, but I understand how long it must take to grade that many teams.
Kellenberg Memorial HS
2020 events: Anatomy, Designer Genes, Experimental Design, Ornithology

Giantpants

Postby Giantpants » December 9th, 2019, 9:29 am

Lol were you the team behind us humming the song? None of us could remember what the Star Spangled Banner sounded like lol
Nah, we were sitting behind Syosset B, but yea we were humming for like 10 minutes. Sorry if we disturbed anyone (although we weren’t that loud) haha

gz839918
Division: Grad
State: NC

Postby gz839918 » December 9th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Which software did they use for sounds of music?
Both the proctors at Cornell and LISO said it was the recommended software, so that’s why I think it could probably make another appearance. As for what the software itself was, I’m not so sure?
I'm curious; was it the pitch tester at http://pascioly.org/sounds? I've heard that the app has trouble picking up low pitches, though I haven't verified this claim myself.
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests
Physics and biology events

UNC-Chapel Hill ’23

Giantpants

Postby Giantpants » December 9th, 2019, 3:46 pm

I'm curious; was it the pitch tester at http://pascioly.org/sounds? I've heard that the app has trouble picking up low pitches, though I haven't verified this claim myself.
I think that may have been it! I didn’t know there was a link available. My bad lol
Our low pitches are kinda quiet but it was able to pick them up just fine, probably bc our fundamental outlasts all the overtones and is the last thing picked up?

Tendan
State: PA

Postby Tendan » December 9th, 2019, 5:01 pm

I'm late to this but:

Circuit (Not sure what place, can't find it on the test): The first half of the test was challenging, to say the least, being a bunch of field questions. The second half was good up until history, which is my least favorite part of any test. The lab was well executed well but was oddly easy relative to some parts of the test.

Detector (16th): The test was good and pretty straight forward, for the most part, but device testing was quite the opposite. It sounds like things were quite a lot better in later time blocks, but in TB 0, things were just getting started, so calibration and testing were a bit chaotic. Then to top it all off, my calibration thermometer and detector decided to be 1.1 degrees away from each other during testing, despite being perfect a minute before. The opinions after TB 0 are a better reflection of how it was run.

Gravity (1st): It was run by Kellenberg so it was run pretty close to perfect. There were some minor scheduling delays, but that's to be expected with the number of teams that were competing. The floor was meh and the track went against the lay of the floorboards, but it could be worked with. The one thing I didn't like was when I found out that after this competition we need independent ramps for the A, B, and C teams, instead of all sharing one ramp, but I guess rules are rules.

Machines (10th): Being new to physics, I am quite happy about this result. My partner did more work than me on both the test and the device, but I did my part. The exam seemed fair, and nothing went terribly wrong during device testing.

Boom (6th): I was supposed to compete in it but Gravity ran long (my fault).

Ping Pong (10th): We were tier 1 and the chute deployed, so I'm happy. We did have to change launchers because whoever went before us hit the roof hard and had pieces of their rocket puncture the hose.
2019 - 2020 Events
~ Boomilever
~ Circuit Lab
~ Detector Building
~ Gravity Vehicle
~ Sort of Machines and PPP

I lost the game.

CookiePie1
State: NJ

Postby CookiePie1 » December 9th, 2019, 5:58 pm

We did have to change launchers because whoever went before us hit the roof hard and had pieces of their rocket puncture the hose.
how even....was their rocket made of glass or something? and it hit that hard? I'm shocked
South Brunswick High School '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

Megok17

Postby Megok17 » December 9th, 2019, 6:10 pm

This is late and it’s my first time doing this but oh well

Anatomy (9th)- I think it was a fairly good test. My partner and I agreed that the person who wrote it seemed to know the most about the muscular system as that was the most challenging section by far. I hope for future competitions there are harder questions on the integumentary system, especially the written section. I feel like there is a lot more to it than just labeling diagrams. Also based off my memory, there were barely any questions on hairs or nails. Overall I think 8/10

Code Busters (13th)- This was a good example of a code test. Normally I get the timed cipher faster but I second guessed myself in the moment. I still ended up getting it but a faster time could’ve pushed us into a medal most likely. Lesson learned. Overall I had fun taking the test (it made me wish I had watched the Avengers recently) and it was a good representation of what a code test should be. (9/10)

Designer Genes (oof)- My partner and I could have done better on this test if I didn’t make a couple stupid mistakes reading the questions. Definitely gonna be more careful next time. It was significantly easier compared to the Cornell test and I think it is closer to what other tests this year will look like. Overall I think it was a good test and well improve off of it (8/10)

Geologic Mapping (9th)- Lol a girl on my team didn’t show up to the competition last minute so I filled in for her with no knowledge of what the event even was. I reached back into 9th grade when I took earth science to try to help answer a couple questions but my big moment was doing the two topographic profiles by myself. But we really only got 9th/medaled because my partner knew his stuff and I’m proud of him for doing well even without his real partner. I can’t comment on how good/bad the test was but I can say 10/10 had fun.

Forensics (4th)- Honestly one of my least favorite Forensics tests I’ve taken. It was not well explained on what was the hairs and what were the fibers and we we were not allowed to use the Bunsen burners as there was issues with the gas. The event supervisors said just to use the candles, and I don’t do powders but that upset my partner as a candle doesn’t work as well as the burner does in determining them. There was also a weird section on a “medical examiners note.” I made yet another mistake during this event as I brought the burning fabric too close to my nose and ended up breathing in a lot of smoke. I started coughing but after a minute or two I was fine. The event supervisors didn’t say anything to me so I assumed they didn’t notice. We got the test back later and they wrote in huge letters on the front “-1 No Waft!” So they did notice but they were busy marking me up instead of saying anything. Idk how far we were from 3rd but once again lesson learned. (4/10)

Return to “Invitationals”