BEARSO Invitational

Area to advertise for your competitions!
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: BEARSO Invitational

Post by sciolyperson1 »

JT bumped from 275 points (3rd) to 152 points (2nd). 65 Anat --> 2nd Anat and 62nd Game On --> 2nd Game On.

No major changes in C.

Final official scoreboard here: https://scilympiad.com/bearso/Info/TourResults

Spreadsheet I made for ease of viewing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =661933710
Last edited by sciolyperson1 on October 20th, 2020, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

sciolyperson1 wrote: October 17th, 2020, 3:01 pm West Windsor Plainsboro HS North, wwp hsn 1 226 1
Troy High School (CA), Troy (CA) Black 258 2
Seven Lakes High School, SLHS - Blue 288 3
Mason High School, Mason Green 366 4
Mountain View, Mountain View 2.718 617 5
Mission San Jose High School, MSJ Lime 633 6
American High, Cheese 752 7
Lynbrook High School, Lynbrook 770 8
Iolani School, Alfalfa 782 9
Solon High School, Solon HS — A 809 10

Superscore
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

wow
Resuperscore:
WWPN (NJ) 226
Troy (CA) 258
Seven Lakes (TX) 289
Mason (OH) 366
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Medal counts for B:
Kennedy: 30 / 4 Teams
JT: 22 / 3 Teams
Churchill: 17 / 2 Teams
Miller: 10 / 1 Team
Sierra Vista: 14 / 4 Teams
Solon: 11 / 1 Team

Medal counts for C:
Troy: 18 / 2 Teams
WWPN: 28 / 2 Teams
Mason: 27 / 2 Teams
7L: 28 / 3 Teams

I want to add that with Mason not getting 66th in Cybersec and 107th in WICI, they would easily outperform Troy (and WWPN) in superscore.
These users thanked the author sciolyperson1 for the post:
Godspeed (October 22nd, 2020, 7:59 pm)
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
xiangyu
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by xiangyu »

paschw30 wrote: October 17th, 2020, 2:40 pm Anybody know what the top helicopter times were?
1st place is 1 min 51 seconds
Last edited by xiangyu on October 22nd, 2020, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
RobertYL
State: CA

Post by RobertYL »

BEARSO 2021 Tests and Keys: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

We hope all the competitors had a blast taking the tests. We tried to make then as interesting and challenging as possible to give teams a running start into the season!
Last edited by RobertYL on October 26th, 2020, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author RobertYL for the post (total 11):
Krish2007 (October 26th, 2020, 3:04 pm) • pepperonipi (October 26th, 2020, 3:20 pm) • Mr.Epithelium (October 26th, 2020, 3:43 pm) • gz839918 (October 26th, 2020, 4:10 pm) • sciolyperson1 (October 26th, 2020, 4:14 pm) • builderguy135 (October 26th, 2020, 4:19 pm) • bearasauras (October 26th, 2020, 4:40 pm) • Godspeed (October 26th, 2020, 4:43 pm) • Giantpants (October 26th, 2020, 5:43 pm) • azboy1910 (October 26th, 2020, 6:04 pm) and one more user
bjt4888
Has thanked: 0

Post by bjt4888 »

xiangyu wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 9:42 am
paschw30 wrote: October 17th, 2020, 2:40 pm Anybody know what the top helicopter times were?
Xiangyu,

Nice job!

Brian T
xiangyu

Post by xiangyu »

bjt4888 wrote: October 26th, 2020, 4:33 pm
Xiangyu,

Nice job!

Brian T
Thank you!! I actually read some of your posts from 2017, and they helped me construct and modify an FFM kit to victory. :D

I miss flying in the gym. :cry: I hope Michigan Scioly finds some way to incorporate a flying event into the state tournament.

Xiangyu
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
Giantpants
State: NY

Post by Giantpants »

Hey guys! So even though BEARSO was a few weeks ago, I was waiting until the public release of tests and histograms to make my event supervisor post. I've always wanted to make one of these!!

I had the incredible honor to serve as the Geologic Mapping C Event Supervisor for BEARSO! I want to congratulate everyone on their participation in the first official virtual competition and the largest competition ever, it was no easy feat for anyone involved, so regardless of whatever time you took your test, whatever place you got, or however much you knew, you all helped to make history on October 10th!

Now, for everyone who took my test, y'all know what went down. Event supervising for such a large competition was honestly a daunting task at first. Writing the test was pretty challenging. Not only was it the first test I ever solo wrote, but I was trying to write it in such a way that it would be long and difficult for teams to cheat on the majority of questions since they were meant to be multi-step though-based questions, and at a level that would be challenging enough given the high caliber of teams going and the rules repeat, but also could be doable enough for all teams to enjoy at such an early point in the season.

So, yeah, it was a grind. I honestly think I spent upwards of 40+ hours on it, which even still feels like a low estimate, so it is definitely an understatement to say hearing the positive feedback everyone had for my test felt really great! I'm super happy so many people enjoyed it!

I'm attaching the distribution, even though you can already see it in the folder above lol. The distribution was a pretty solid normal distribution, which I found encouraging evidence that people took the test honestly and seriously, despite the unorthodox format. I thank everyone for doing so.

2nd place and 1st place in particular were pretty far ahead of everyone, but every team deserves commendation for their participation!

Now, onto the exam itself...

Most of the feedback I got on the test noted that it was really long and the content ranged from doable to rather difficult. This is exactly what I hoped to see! I understand the exam was long, however, I designed it that way to give teams plenty of options as to how they wanted to spend their time, and plenty of room for the scores to spread out, which as I noted they seemed to have rather well.

A good amount of teams struggled on the math questions, but I included formulas for those, so hopefully they can be a starting point on the road to familiarity with Geologic Mapping math. (when a test just gave an answer for a math question, it didn't help me learn at all haha, so I hope you all can get some use out of the key)

The multiple choice was designed to gradually get harder as it progressed, and cover a large range of topics from depositional environment to maps to basic geology. This was reflected in the numbers of questions I saw teams getting right, and I hope I did a good job in turning what could usually be a pretty standard recall event into a more thought and application based test.

A good number of teams did a great job with the map section at the end! It was great to see a lot of participants correctly read and interpret a real geologic map, such as what potential hazards and past depositional environments and rocks. That is the namesake of the event after all haha

Lastly, there was one question which NO TEAM got correct!! Number 64 stumped every team, and I gave approximately 1 point to teams who made a reasonable attempt with shown work. The formula is included so you all can have it going forward haha.

Final Thoughts

Overall, this was a super fun event to run. Although the chaos of supervising 183 teams at once (and having their questions disappear less than a second after they were sent so I barely could read them oops lol) was stressful, it was definitely a worthwhile experience to hear the level of satisfaction that so many participants got from my test, as well as to be a part of the team that helped with BEARSO. Undoubtedly worth every single second I spent on it!

Grading 187 tests was a grind, but it was fun. To everyone who messaged me during and after the test commenting on my references within the test, you are greatly appreciated, and were we doing this in person, I would've given you the biggest high five I could've. As for those who wrote funny joke answers on the test, though there was no space on scilympiad's grading platform to write comments or replies, they truly made me laugh (some personal favorites were the ones saying "I use magic to lift the rock up and get Joe's paper back!" and "I can't help her, I'm sorry Monika D:") and provided a much needed respite of the seriousness of grading. So I am thankful for everyone who made me laugh during grading! I wish I could write more personalized feedback for all the joke answers but I truly loved all of them haha

If you have any thoughts or feedback on the event, I'd love to hear it! If you want, you can fill out this Google form to let me know what you thought (https://forms.gle/R8XohTJLefoJZkuo6). It's also always linked on my userpage, which is always linked in my signature haha. Any feedback is good feedback! If you have particular questions, feel free to message me on here or DM me on Discord (preferred, Giantpants#6460) or email me (addresses listed on the Google Form). Besides, the feedback may be helpful in improving my tests in case I write for you again 👀 :?:

Lastly, huge huge HUGE thanks to:
-bearasaurus for being such a nice person and for giving me guidance on formatting, what I was allowed to do for the test, answering my endless questions, providing support on tournament day, offering me the opportunity to write and supervise back in August, and being so supportive of my first ever solo writing experience! The Science Olympiad community will truly be indebted to you for your work on this tournament.
-404ic for his work on score counseling and answering my questions about grading/re-grading, and also for being such a nice and supportive person as well. Thanks a lot my dude.
-RobertYL for his work on compiling all the tests and histograms into the files after the competition. So soooo many files, I can't imagine that could've been easy, but he still went out of his way to contact me to make sure my events were good. That shows genuine care, which is awesome. Oh and he graded like 500 tests... Goodness...
-Thuan for his work developing scilympiad, and even taking some time out of his schedule to meet with me/404ic to answer our questions about scoring. To answer a question directly like that again shows genuine care and interest in bettering the platform and helping the tournament, which in addition to his immense work developing the platform, deserves incalculable praise.
-All the event supervisors! You all are awesome people and are so deserving of congratulations, and it's because of you guys that the competition was such a success.
-All the competitors! Your willingness to try something new resulted in BEARSO truly becoming something beautiful! I'm so thankful to have had such a huge and geographically diverse field take my test! Such an honor, and I'm so thankful you all decided to participate.

Thanks to everyone for taking my test and for participating in BEARSO's Exciting and Revamped Science Olympiad! It was an honor to be an event supervisor, and a truly awesome experience!! Can't wait to write for y'all again at some point haha
Attachments
BEARSO 2021 Geologic Mapping C Score Distribution.PNG
BEARSO 2021 Geologic Mapping C Score Distribution.PNG (21.5 KiB) Viewed 4018 times
These users thanked the author Giantpants for the post (total 11):
Name (October 26th, 2020, 9:55 pm) • sciolyperson1 (October 26th, 2020, 9:55 pm) • bearasauras (October 26th, 2020, 9:57 pm) • bernard (October 26th, 2020, 10:19 pm) • jimmy-bond (October 26th, 2020, 10:27 pm) • Nydauron (October 26th, 2020, 11:11 pm) • LiteralRhinoceros (October 27th, 2020, 4:29 am) • gz839918 (October 27th, 2020, 4:32 am) • Adi1008 (October 27th, 2020, 9:56 am) • Godspeed (October 28th, 2020, 6:12 pm) and one more user
Haverford College, Class of 2024!
Former President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

Events I'm Writing in 2023: Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals
Events I've Written in Years Past: Geologic Mapping, Remote Sensing
Giantpants's Userpage
freed2003
State: CA

Post by freed2003 »

Thank You so much for writing the test! As someone who took it I would like to personally say that the test was amazing and had a good balance of questions.
These users thanked the author freed2003 for the post:
Giantpants (October 27th, 2020, 6:39 am)
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
bjt4888
Has thanked: 0

Post by bjt4888 »

xiangyu wrote: October 26th, 2020, 9:43 pm
bjt4888 wrote: October 26th, 2020, 4:33 pm
Xiangyu,

Nice job!

Brian T
Thank you!! I actually read some of your posts from 2017, and they helped me construct and modify an FFM kit to victory. :D

I miss flying in the gym. :cry: I hope Michigan Scioly finds some way to incorporate a flying event into the state tournament.

Xiangyu
Xiangyu,

Good job doing the research. Yes, I hope Michigan has a live event before the end of the school year. I'm judging a Satellite Wright Stuff event for the Bellville and the Boyceville Wisconsin Invitationals. If your team can enter, and you can get into a flying site of some kind to video a "flight period", maybe you could enter.

Brian T

Return to “2021 Invitationals”