Eagle Invitational 2021 (Division B)

Area to advertise for your competitions!
OrigamiPlanet
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Eagle Invitational 2021 (Division B)

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

Cumberland Valley Science Olympiad is proud to announce that our third annual Eagle Invitational will take place on February 13th, 2021! We will be doing a MiniSO tournament. This will continue to be a Division B tournament as before, and we are working to provide students with the opportunity to do other trial events to replace the missing events. Some information is subject to change; if it might change, there will be an indicator listed by the bullet.

Registration
- You can register a team of 15 students, with no more than 5 of them being in 9th Grade (could become 18 students)
- The registration fee is $50 per team
- You may send a maximum of 3 teams from your school
- Registration begins on September 16th, 2020

Events
- We will be running 23 events in total, but any events that is prohibited by MiniSO will stay prohibited
- The unused events from MiniSO will be replaced by trial events that may count towards team score (subject)
- The tournament schedule will be provided at a later date
- Awards and trophies will be given for top teams (more teams that are competing will increase the top amount of awards given), and they will be mailed

Contact
- You may want to check out our website to stay updated on the latest info: https://sites.google.com/cvschools.org/ ... authuser=0
- If you want to stay up to date otherwise, you may sign up on this google form: https://forms.gle/ezAzRnRrZb5kkbTQ7
- Please contact the tournament director Christopher Irvin at [email protected] if you have any other concerns
These users thanked the author OrigamiPlanet for the post (total 8):
EwwPhysics (August 25th, 2020, 12:27 pm) • Mr.Epithelium (August 25th, 2020, 12:28 pm) • sciolyperson1 (August 25th, 2020, 1:41 pm) • Adi1008 (August 25th, 2020, 2:44 pm) • anandymous (August 25th, 2020, 7:51 pm) • lumosityfan (August 25th, 2020, 9:07 pm) • azboy1910 (September 13th, 2020, 9:01 am) • LoganTokle123 (October 9th, 2020, 6:48 am)
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
xopherirvin
Has thanked: 0

Re: Eagle Invitational 2021 (Division B)

Post by xopherirvin »

Registration opens at 3:00 PM on 9/16/2020 at https://scilympiad.com/EagleInvy.
These users thanked the author xopherirvin for the post (total 2):
sciolyperson1 (September 12th, 2020, 4:40 pm) • OrigamiPlanet (September 16th, 2020, 3:23 pm)
Coach - Eagle View MS & Cumberland Valley HS
xopherirvin

Post by xopherirvin »

We have just a few open slots remaining! Registration is only $50 per team. Coaches of participating teams will not be asked to write tests. We have recruited a slate of experienced test writers from across the nation.

We will operate on a schedule that is friendly to our participants on the west coast.

Register now at https://scilympiad.com/EagleInvy.
xopherirvin

Post by xopherirvin »

We are almost at capacity for this year. We have just a few spots remaining open.
We are excited to host the following slate of schools in our Mini SO tournament:
Chaboya MS - CA
Clarksville MS - MD
Creekside MS - CA
Davidson Academy - NV
Eagle View MS - PA
Elizabeth Pinkerton MS - CA
Glasgow MS - LA
Harlan Rowe MS - PA
Jeffrey Trail MS - CA
Kennedy MS - CA
Longfellow MS - VA
Mellon MS - PA
Mesa Robles - CA
Mountain View MS - PA
North Pocono MS - PA
PJ Gelinas JHS - NY
Robert E Bell MS - NY
Saline MS - MI
Shady Side Academy MS - PA
Sierra Vista MS - CA
Westlake LBMS - OH
These users thanked the author xopherirvin for the post (total 2):
sciolyperson1 (October 23rd, 2020, 1:49 pm) • Godspeed (October 23rd, 2020, 2:33 pm)
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Umaroth »

xopherirvin wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 11:57 am We are almost at capacity for this year. We have just a few spots remaining open.
We are excited to host the following slate of schools in our Mini SO tournament:
Chaboya MS - CA
Clarksville MS - MD
Creekside MS - CA
Davidson Academy - NV
Eagle View MS - PA
Elizabeth Pinkerton MS - CA
Glasgow MS - LA
Harlan Rowe MS - PA
Jeffrey Trail MS - CA
Kennedy MS - CA
Longfellow MS - VA
Mellon MS - PA
Mesa Robles - CA
Mountain View MS - PA
North Pocono MS - PA
PJ Gelinas JHS - NY
Robert E Bell MS - NY
Saline MS - MI
Shady Side Academy MS - PA
Sierra Vista MS - CA
Westlake LBMS - OH
Sierra Vista is excited to attend such an awesome tournament!
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
LoganTokle123
Been thanked: 0

Post by LoganTokle123 »

Just a notice, to any teams that already looked at the parasitology links, those were incorrect and my new ones will be up soon! Just wanted to make sure teams weren't looking at the wrong information
2021 Main Events:
Ornithology, Dynamic Planet, GeoMapping, Water Quality, Fossils, Sounds of Music, and Forensics
MorningCoffee
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by MorningCoffee »

Does anyone know at what time the awards will be this Saturday?
Events 2023-2024:
uhh we'll find out let me apply to college first

orch dork forever
hot chocolate is best drink c:
xopherirvin

Post by xopherirvin »

MorningCoffee wrote: February 16th, 2021, 2:01 pm Does anyone know at what time the awards will be this Saturday?
Eagle Awards will be announced at 7PM EST on Sunday, February 21. The links will be published later this weekend.
These users thanked the author xopherirvin for the post (total 3):
Godspeed (February 19th, 2021, 1:40 pm) • MorningCoffee (February 19th, 2021, 3:30 pm) • reninkidney (February 19th, 2021, 6:22 pm)
l0lit
State: FL

Post by l0lit »

Dynamic Planet ES Review
Note: MCQ=Multiple Choice Question, FRQ=Free Response Question, SAQ=Short Answer Question (like fill-in-the-blank)

Description
The test was 72 MCQ and 13 FRQ (although some parts of the FRQ are fairly MCQ-like, something I regretted not making MCQ while grading). I wrote this one strictly to the rules: It was divided into 14 sections, each section representing a bulletpoint or two from the rules topics, and each having about 5 MCQ and 1 FRQ (with the exception of the Tools section, which had no FRQ).

Statistics
- Total of 123 points. This is slightly longer than my usual tests
- Average of 36.3 points (29.5%). A bit lower than I wanted, but pretty good given the test.
- Standard deviation of 12.4 points (10.1%). I like this statistic, there was a lot of range between scores.

Score distributions are available here and here.

Results
The expected score of guessing on every MCQ and not answering a single FRQ is 19 points (15.5%). Nearly everyone beat that, but considering it does bump down my effective average quite a bit. For reference, last year's test was almost all SAQ, so it had an expected value of maybe 1% and an overall average of 12%. I should likely make these tests a bit easier. However, given this test's difficulty, the competitors did very well.

The MCQ points were decently dispersed, so I'll talk more about the FRQ. Teams' performance on the more difficult FRQs surprised me, given maps or charts they were quick to notice details and trends that were helpful (always read the map legend everyone!). From competitor performance, the most difficult sections were wave energy math, depositional energy, and tidal constituent (somehow still a problem no matter how many tests I put it on).

If you have any questions, I am always available on the forums, but likely more available on the Scioly.org chat.
Any opinions stated on this site are not official, the only official information can be found at soinc.org

University of South Florida '25
Carmel SciOly Alumni, Captain 2019-21
Tests written

Return to “2021 Invitationals”