Yale Invitational 2021

Area to advertise for your competitions!
tm-scioli
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Yale Invitational 2021

Post by tm-scioli »

We are happy to announce that our eighth annual Yale Science Olympiad Invitational will be held virtually on Saturday, February 6th, 2021! YUSO will be following the miniSO tournament model and tests will be administered on the Scilympiad platform.

Registration will open on Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 6 PM ET. The link will be available on our website shortly. Registration will close when all 60 spots have been taken. Afterwards, teams can continue to sign up for our tournament waitlist.

The registration fee for this year’s tournament is $25 per team. This fee will be waived for all CT and NY schools. Please reach out to [email protected] if this fee prevents you from participating.

Please reach out to us at [email protected] if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Last edited by tm-scioli on September 19th, 2020, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author tm-scioli for the post:
Polypcrabio (September 21st, 2020, 3:17 pm)
tm-scioli

Re: Yale Invitational 2021

Post by tm-scioli »

We are happy to announce that our eighth annual Yale Science Olympiad Invitational will be held virtually on Saturday, February 6th, 2021! YUSO will be following the miniSO tournament model and tests will be administered on the Scilympiad platform.

Registration will open on Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 6 PM ET. The link will be available on our website shortly. Registration will close when all 60 spots have been taken. Afterwards, teams can continue to sign up for our tournament waitlist.

The registration fee for this year’s tournament is $25 per team. This fee will be waived for all CT and NY schools. Please reach out to [email protected] if this fee prevents you from participating.

Please reach out to us at [email protected] if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you soon!

These users thanked the author tm-scioli for the post:
sneepity (September 21st, 2020, 4:39 am)
cmousseau
State: NY

Post by cmousseau »

Are you guys aware that February 6th is the date all regional tournaments will be held in NY State?
Last edited by cmousseau on October 7th, 2020, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author cmousseau for the post:
sneepity (September 21st, 2020, 5:42 am)
tm-scioli

Post by tm-scioli »

Registration begins tomorrow!

sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Has a list of events been released?
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Looks like Yale's schedule is out:

-Running WICI
-Running Cybersecurity
-Running Digital Structures
-Detector, Digital Structures, Sounds of Music are self-schedule

Full schedule is on Scilympiad: https://scilympiad.com/yuso

Awards tracker at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by sciolyperson1 on January 19th, 2021, 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CookiePie1 »

Good luck everyone!
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
axolotl
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by axolotl »

This is a little late, but here are the stats and ES review for Ornithology!
Maximum: 141.85 (52%)
Mean: 69.38 (25%)
Median: 66.33 (24%)
Standard Deviation: 36.9
Congratulations to everyone who competed at YUSO! The test was 275 points and 224 questions long; it was not written to be finished by any means. There were a lot of general info questions, from bird nest types and flight physics to disease and wildlife legislation (I will admit, it was a lot of niche topics). Some teams still scored extremely well on these stations, but for future tests based on feedback (thank you to those who filled that out!), I will only have a 1-3 stations on general info. I was impressed at how many teams were able to recognize the types of bluejay calls and identify owls based on the description, so look out for more question formats like these on future tests! Also thanks to those who gave me and the graders some laughs by humorously captioning the two extra credit questions (grading was 2pts if it was funny, 1pt if you wrote the scientific description).
This event was only run in the 4-5pm block, which was conveniently when Scilympiad ran into some issues (4:41, specifically) but thank you to all the competitors for acting quickly and being flexible in writing answers on google docs and emailing them to me to grade. Any points you earned from the documents were added manually to the very last question. Additionally, thank you to Harry Yang, the board and everyone running the competition for assisting me in grading the tests and finding volunteers; all the help was much appreciated. With that, feel free to contact me here or on Discord if you have any questions about my test or Ornithology in general and thank you for taking my test!
These users thanked the author axolotl for the post (total 5):
avd2529 (February 8th, 2021, 10:31 pm) • sneepity (February 9th, 2021, 6:26 am) • sciolyperson1 (February 9th, 2021, 6:52 am) • Lei0 (February 9th, 2021, 11:47 am) • Adi1008 (February 9th, 2021, 2:39 pm)
MHS ‘20, Pitt '24
axolotl's User page

Return to “2021 Invitationals”