Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2021

Area to advertise for your competitions!
kate!
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2021

Post by kate! »

sciolyperson1 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 7:05 pm Hi all,

We've put together an MIT Awards Tracker at duosmium.org/mittracker! Similarly to UT, we've linked a total of five different sheets in order to accommodate for the large amount of viewers. Hope you enjoy it!
Are awards tomorrow?
These users thanked the author kate! for the post:
sneepity (January 29th, 2021, 9:09 am)
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
sAkEtH
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sAkEtH »

kate! wrote: January 29th, 2021, 8:56 am
sciolyperson1 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 7:05 pm Hi all,

We've put together an MIT Awards Tracker at duosmium.org/mittracker! Similarly to UT, we've linked a total of five different sheets in order to accommodate for the large amount of viewers. Hope you enjoy it!
Are awards tomorrow?
Nope they're Sunday at 6pm EST.
These users thanked the author sAkEtH for the post:
kate! (January 30th, 2021, 10:07 am)
River Hill High '23, Clarksville '19
primitivepolonium
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by primitivepolonium »

Div D! I really like chem, oceanography, and nail polish--not in that order.

Troy HS, co2016.

Feel free to PM me about SciOly or college or whatever! I really enjoy making online friends.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Ward Melville High School A (NY) - C130 423
Lynbrook High School (CA) - C075 422
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School A (MA) - C002 416
Lexington High School (MA) - C070 411
West Windsor-Plainsboro HS South A (NJ) - C136 396
Madison West High School (WI) - C077 366
Montgomery High School (NJ) - C086 327
Carmel High School (IN) - C028 293
Seven Lakes High School (TX) - C110 289
New Trier High School A (IL) - C089 289
William G. Enloe High School Magnificent Mondays (NC) - C145 261
Troy High School (CA) - C124 222
Mountain View High School (CA) - C087 222
Mason High School White (OH) - C080 208
West Windsor-Plainsboro HS North (NJ) - C135 206
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
shadow19

Post by shadow19 »

Tourney Review :):):)

Orni : 1st
Not my favorite test :( The test was way too short (150 questions but a lot of really short quick brain spit out word questions), and there wasn't a lot of fun id :(. I'm sure the score distru wasn't a happy sight either lol.

Fossils : 4th
Test was a joyous experience. The content on the test was absolutely hilarious, and there's nothing like having no clue on how to do the test and ending up educated guessing everything. Nearly got tricked by the double eurypterid id rip.

Designer Genes : 8th
Another case of where I was a completely clueless rip. Test was nice and hard (maybe too much lol, but really nice for spreading the distru among top teams), and had a wide variety of topics. The use of dropbox for two questions was a bit time consuming and felt a tad unnecessary. Gotta go grind brookers :(

Anat : 26th
Wow I'm dumb. While taking the test, felt pretty confident, but ended up skipping like half of the integ section due to lack of time. The diagrams were really pretty.

Pmod : 12th
Went into this test completely blind, as it isn't an NYS event. I mainly do biochem, and it was really really hard and confusing. Very shocked with the semi-decent placement.

Overall:
sad!
These users thanked the author shadow19 for the post:
sciolyperson1 (January 31st, 2021, 6:44 pm)
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Digital Structures: 2nd
Not much to say about this, event was well run and scores were close. Lost to 1st by 10 points :( 10/10

Lean Mean Meme Machine: 1st
The test was thorough but had a bit too much tiktok. Our memes can be found here, here, and here.

Overall: 1st
First and last time beating Troy/Mountain View/Mason lmao, awards ceremony was amazing and I had a ton of fun participating. Looking forward to next year!
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Sciolyperson1's Userpage
Name

Post by Name »

thoughts on stuff:

astro (5): solid test with good breadth of difficulty. part b was surprisingly difficult and while I didn't do part c, I heard it was extremely difficult. great length of test, as I just barely managed to finish my sections on the test and this was exactly what I expected from a mit test. my one criticism would be the extent of the mcqs (since I didn't do part c I essentially took a 100 question mcq test) and I would have liked more critical thinking questions especially pertaining DSOs. the questions themselves were very high quality and I definitely have a lot to learn from section b alone.
code (11): I found this to be a very disappointing test. the time cipher was a list that was really rng with few patterns and many places to make errors which tripped up many teams. aristos were troll (especially the single word and the sheer number of errors on an erristo) and along with many of the math ciphers were overvalued while pats were undervalued. the patristo also technically had two unique solutions (peddle petal pedal pettle instead of meddle metal medal mettle with neither m or p appearing anywhere else costing at least 200 points on 4 errors). at least the test was unique.
fossils (43): personally, I'm very disappointed with myself, but the test was high quality. definitely very different from anything I've seen before but neither in a good or bad way. I think it did focus too heavily on a couple of subjects (ex. radiometric dating), but this would be a great resource to learn from in the future. definitely would have preferred to see more fossils on the list tested but it's understandable given the nature of open internet.
geomaps (5): this being my first ever geomaps test and the fact that I only did a few select questions means I'm probably not the best judge of quality, but what I did do seemed to be very well written.
overall: I'm kinda washed

more seriously, another great competition by mit scioly! congrats to wwpn for winning!
These users thanked the author Name for the post (total 2):
sciolyperson1 (January 31st, 2021, 10:05 pm) • Lei0 (January 31st, 2021, 10:25 pm)
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 »

Code (8): Fairly disappointing test. While unique, I'm sure that scores were extremely close, due to the extremely small point values and lack of "attemptable" questions. A handful of questions came down to "do you know this quote?" (i.e. pangram, 1-word aristocrat, etc.). A few questions were also very questionable, such as the second Patristocrat (sets of homophones) and the Erristocat. Did much better than I expected, but the trialing of this event coupled with the nature of the test made the event overall somewhat disappointing.

Digital Structures (2): What JC said above.

LMMM (1): What JC said above. This test was extremely difficult and long, but it was really fun! Really hope this event is brought back in future years, as the pre-awards meme showcase is definitely one of the highlights of the ceremony.

Sounds of Music (1): This test was typical for a closed internet test, but it may have been slightly on the easier side for open internet. Still, this was a long and challenging test, and somewhat heavy on math and music theory, which I enjoyed. Really high quality test and questions.

Thanks for another great year at MIT Scioly! As usual, this invitational remains to have the most consistently high quality tests of any invitational. Hopefully we can return again next year!
These users thanked the author builderguy135 for the post (total 3):
sciolyperson1 (January 31st, 2021, 10:05 pm) • Lei0 (January 31st, 2021, 10:29 pm) • Name (January 31st, 2021, 10:34 pm)
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Fantasy SO Prediction Results!

Congrats to malikaow1004 for winning the team contest and legitimately for winning the events contest.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Few notes:
- Codebusters was trialed
- If a team dropped after the prediction contest was announced (picking, say American HS), it was counted as 151 (NS)
- All 22 people predicted Troy as first. They got 4th, leading to everyone getting 0 points in that column.
- The popular community vote predicted only three events correct. These events were Fossils, Machines, and LMMM, all won by WW-P N.
- In a similar vein, the popular community vote predicted one team correct. The team was Mason in second.
- Troy had 95 votes for first in events. With trials, they had 101. At competition, their highest placement was third.
These users thanked the author sciolyperson1 for the post (total 3):
malikaow1004 (January 31st, 2021, 10:23 pm) • Mr.Epithelium (February 1st, 2021, 3:42 pm) • pb5754 (February 1st, 2021, 8:20 pm)
Sciolyperson1's Userpage

Return to “2021 Invitationals”