Sierra Vista Invitational (B)

Area to advertise for your competitions!
enzoom
Division: B
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Sierra Vista Invitational (B)

Post by enzoom »

omg this is my first ever post :D

hi guys! i saw a lot of people doing test reviews n stuff, and so i decided to make my own :D (heavily inspo by azboy)!! i was in hsi fw team a, [A] bracket, and placed 4th overall in the competition!

anatomy & physiology (1st)
when me and my partner opened up the test, we were somewhat surprised by the amount of questions there were, but it was expected sorta.. anyway, me and my partner worked on the integumentary section together, and then broke up the test to our strengths. there were in fact a lot of things we didnt know, and it was definitely a test that tested our knowlede; there were some things that we knew and some things we didnt know, and some of the pictures we had no idea what we were looking at D: maybe some brief description (especially q91-q99's diagram, i had no idea what i was looking at :p) but besides that, there wasnt any problems with the test! a good solid test :D 9.5/10

codebusters (1st)
for studying this event for a week, we were very surprised of how well we did! we got (if i recall) 7 questions from the whole test! the main ones we were able to solve were just the aristocrats and the rail fence ciphers.. i dont have that much say in this event, and in all of our struggles were just our problem :D especially the baconiam code i kept messing up the ABAB translation thingy because the emojis basically looked the same D: so then id transfer from the one looking left from A to B and vice verse D: but im vv satisfied with both our performance and the test! 10/10

expd (1st)
i only very little experience with this event, being a filler two times for the event, but when i had did them, it was easy to comprehend and understand what i was supposed to do! when i took the test, no problems arose, and with our little preparation, we managed a lot! we were able to do the experiment part and do the majority of the analysis questions with some left empty :D although i dont have that much say in this, the test was top notch, perfect length and difficulty, and a good test! 10/10

food science (1st)
i found this test well made, but just a tad bit easy :p NOT TOO EASY like 1 grain of salt easy :D i found most of the material tested recognizable although some parts i didnt know (ex: important people, yeast life cycle, and determining foods if they're transfat, sat, or unsat),and etc) but overall good test, no problems, maybe jus sum addition for difficulty :D 8/10

machines (2nd)
i had no idea what was going on the test o-o im pretty sure if i had actually studied it well, i wouldve actually known what i was doing but instead i didnt, and guessed thru almost everything and knowingly answered 5 o-o however, with my overall placing with the event, one tip id say is to make it easier (?) i remember seeing that on the awards it said "if it was a hard machines test, it was prolly written by robert lee" so i mean there was sum like heads up thing :D it was definitely a hard test and definitely, a way for me to realize to actually study for it :D 8/10
These users thanked the author enzoom for the post (total 2):
Umaroth (February 14th, 2021, 11:24 pm) • Godspeed (February 14th, 2021, 11:44 pm)
Mr.Epithelium
Division: C
State: KY

Post by Mr.Epithelium »

Heredity

Thank you to all the teams who took this test and to all the directors who made this tournament a great experience for everyone! I had lots of fun preparing and grading answers for this tournament.

Histogram
SVSO Heredity Histogram and Scores.png
SVSO Heredity Histogram and Scores.png (151.93 KiB) Viewed 2850 times
Test comments
  • I tried making this test not too long and instead have questions that would require you to "think about it". more focus was given on applying conceptual knowledge to problems. Hopefully these questions were interesting and useful to competitors.
  • Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the performance on this test. There were many difficult questions that many teams managed to solve correctly, especially in Part I.
  • A common mistake during the test was confusing genotype vs phenotype (giving answers as a genotype when the question asked for phenotype, etc.)
If you have any questions about this test, feel free to PM me here or on discord (Mr.Epithelium#4379)!
Also, if you took the test during or after the tournament and want to leave feedback: https://forms.gle/mMdqSfJmEWEUypMr5
These users thanked the author Mr.Epithelium for the post (total 2):
azboy1910 (February 20th, 2021, 3:09 pm) • reninkidney (February 20th, 2021, 5:33 pm)
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Umaroth »

Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now