Michigan 2019

User avatar
John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod
Posts: 704
Joined: February 26th, 2014, 10:54 am
Division: Grad
State: MI
Location: R12

Michigan 2019

Postby John Richardsim » September 4th, 2018, 5:29 am

Michigan Science Olympiad website

2019 Invitational Competitions
Division B:
12/15/18 - Liberty Invitational - Liberty Middle School
1/26/19 - Cobra Invitational - Birmingham Covington School
2/2/19 - Hudson Tiger Invitational - Hudson Middle School
2/2/19 - West Ottawa Invitational- West Ottawa High School
2/9/19 - Great Lakes Invitational - L'Anse Creuse High School Central
TBD - Ionia Invitational - Ionia High School
2/23/19 - Allendale Invitational - Allendale Middle School
2/23/19 - Holt Invitational - Holt High School

Division C:
12/8/18 - Portage Invitational - Portage Northern High School
1/19/19 - Clio Invitational - Clio High School
1/19/19 - WMAA Invitational - West Michigan Aviation Academy
1/26/19 - Haslett Invitational - Haslett High School
1/26/19 - Eastside Invitational - Stevenson High School
2/2/19 - West Ottawa Invitational - West Ottawa High School
2/2/19 - Plymouth-Canton Invitational - Salem High School
2/9/19 - Frankenmuth Invitational - Frankenmuth High School
TBD - Ionia Invitational - Ionia High School
2/16/19 - UMSO Invitational - University of Michigan
2/23/19 - Allendale Invitational - Allendale High School

2019 Regional Competitions (Map)
Region 1 - February 16, 2019 - Northern Michigan University
Region 2 - March 2, 2019 - Alpena Community College
Region 3 - February 23, 2019 - Mid Michigan Community College
Region 4 - February 23, 2019 - Delta College
Region 5 - March 23, 2019 - Mott Community College
Region 6 - March 2, 2019 - Detroit Country Day School
Region 7 - March 16, 2019 - Macomb Community College
Region 8 - March 23, 2019 - Thurston High School
Region 9 - February 23, 2019 - Hillsdale College
Region 10 - March 23, 2019 - Western Michigan University
Region 11 - March 16, 2019 - Lansing Community College
Region 12 - March 23, 2019 - Grand Valley State University
Region 13 - March 4, 2019 - Kalamazoo Valley Community College
Region 14 - March 5, 2019 - Lake Michigan College


2019 State Competition
April 27, 2019 - Michigan State University
State Competition Website
Schedules (Tentative)
Division B
Division C

Other Information
Michigan Herpetology List - In addition to national list
Source Code - Trial Event for 2019
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

User avatar
John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod
Posts: 704
Joined: February 26th, 2014, 10:54 am
Division: Grad
State: MI
Location: R12

Re: Michigan 2019

Postby John Richardsim » October 4th, 2018, 2:48 pm

The schedules for states are up:

Division B
Division C

I'd be interested in hearing what people still competing think about cutting down to 5 timeslots. It looks like they avoided creating any new rigid conflicts by taking a pairing of events and making them self-schedule.
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

User avatar
TheMysteriousMapMan
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: December 5th, 2018, 12:45 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Location: The Universe

Re: Michigan 2019

Postby TheMysteriousMapMan » December 5th, 2018, 1:45 pm

John Richardsim wrote:The schedules for states are up:

Division B
Division C

I'd be interested in hearing what people still competing think about cutting down to 5 timeslots. It looks like they avoided creating any new rigid conflicts by taking a pairing of events and making them self-schedule.


I think that it will be either really helpful, or a big hindrance. For those doing a lot of events, it might mean that some of the "self-scheduled" events are fairly dictated, which will in turn dictate the time slot for their partner. On the helpful side, it might mean that you don't have to wait eons in between events if you have only the early or later blocks.

meierfra
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: August 23rd, 2016, 10:01 am
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Michigan 2019

Postby meierfra » December 14th, 2018, 9:26 am

TheMysteriousMapMan wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:The schedules for states are up:

Division B
Division C

I'd be interested in hearing what people still competing think about cutting down to 5 timeslots. It looks like they avoided creating any new rigid conflicts by taking a pairing of events and making them self-schedule.


I think that it will be either really helpful, or a big hindrance. For those doing a lot of events, it might mean that some of the "self-scheduled" events are fairly dictated, which will in turn dictate the time slot for their partner. On the helpful side, it might mean that you don't have to wait eons in between events if you have only the early or later blocks.


A 5 hour day is definitely a disadvantage to smaller teams. This year there are 49 people-slots and if you put that in 5 hours, you have to average 10 people every hour. Ten years ago, we went to State with 9 people. That would be tougher to qualify now, depending on how the regionals will be run.

Oblivion
Member
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: October 24th, 2018, 4:06 pm
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Michigan 2019

Postby Oblivion » January 27th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Any predictions for states this year?

User avatar
John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod
Posts: 704
Joined: February 26th, 2014, 10:54 am
Division: Grad
State: MI
Location: R12

Re: Michigan 2019

Postby John Richardsim » January 29th, 2019, 11:12 am

Oblivion wrote:Any predictions for states this year?

I'll give it a shot:
1. Northville
2. Pioneer
3. GH
4. Troy
5. Saline
6. IAC
7. Stevenson
8. DCD
9. Holt
10. FHC

That felt a lot more daring when I was putting it together than it does right now since I'm realizing that I've just rearranged last year's top 10.

I've only seen results so far this season for Northville, Pioneer, Troy, and Saline, all from Ohio invites. Anyone have any results from MI invites?

And I've got no clue for Division B.
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

DontWorryAboutIt
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: January 15th, 2019, 10:10 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Location: The Ghettos

Re: Michigan 2019

Postby DontWorryAboutIt » January 29th, 2019, 11:18 am

John Richardsim wrote:
Oblivion wrote:Any predictions for states this year?

I'll give it a shot:
1. Northville
2. Pioneer
3. GH
4. Troy
5. Saline
6. IAC
7. Stevenson
8. DCD
9. Holt
10. FHC

That felt a lot more daring when I was putting it together than it does right now since I'm realizing that I've just rearranged last year's top 10.

I've only seen results so far this season for Northville, Pioneer, Troy, and Saline, all from Ohio invites. Anyone have any results from MI invites?

And I've got no clue for Division B.


What invitational's results are you referring to, to make these predictions. I'm interested as to why you put Northville at the 1st.
Northville 21'
4XState Champs
7XRegional Champs
Mich4life

User avatar
John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod
Posts: 704
Joined: February 26th, 2014, 10:54 am
Division: Grad
State: MI
Location: R12

Re: Michigan 2019

Postby John Richardsim » January 29th, 2019, 11:38 am

DontWorryAboutIt wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:
Oblivion wrote:Any predictions for states this year?

I'll give it a shot:
1. Northville
2. Pioneer
3. GH
4. Troy
5. Saline
6. IAC
7. Stevenson
8. DCD
9. Holt
10. FHC

That felt a lot more daring when I was putting it together than it does right now since I'm realizing that I've just rearranged last year's top 10.

I've only seen results so far this season for Northville, Pioneer, Troy, and Saline, all from Ohio invites. Anyone have any results from MI invites?

And I've got no clue for Division B.


What invitational's results are you referring to, to make these predictions. I'm interested as to why you put Northville at the 1st.

Centerville, Westlake, perhaps another one I've already forgotten about.

But let's be real here, putting Northville 1st wasn't that much based on invite results.
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

Oblivion
Member
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: October 24th, 2018, 4:06 pm
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Michigan 2019

Postby Oblivion » February 9th, 2019, 7:28 pm

How did the Frankenmuth invitational go?

Chameleon02
Member
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 1:54 pm
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Michigan 2019

Postby Chameleon02 » Yesterday, 4:59 pm

Saline is looking red hot this year, I would prob rank them 3rd or 4th

ensfiele
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Yesterday, 8:22 pm
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Michigan 2019

Postby ensfiele » Yesterday, 8:33 pm

Oblivion wrote:How did the Frankenmuth invitational go?


Sorry if I format this wrong, as this is my first post here. As a member of the saline blue team I want to get more involved in the community before my time as a competitor is up (still got 2 more years!).

Anyways, here's the rankings for Frankemuth

1) Saline Blue (87)
2) Menomonie Maroon (137)
3) Canton Red (161)
4) Stevenson (223)
5) Hastings Gold (232)
6) Detroit Country Day (232)

MIScioly1
Member
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: April 30th, 2017, 12:27 pm
Division: Grad
State: MI

Re: Michigan 2019

Postby MIScioly1 » Yesterday, 9:13 pm

ensfiele wrote:
Oblivion wrote:How did the Frankenmuth invitational go?


Sorry if I format this wrong, as this is my first post here. As a member of the saline blue team I want to get more involved in the community before my time as a competitor is up (still got 2 more years!).

Anyways, here's the rankings for Frankemuth

1) Saline Blue (87)
2) Menomonie Maroon (137)
3) Canton Red (161)
4) Stevenson (223)
5) Hastings Gold (232)
6) Detroit Country Day (232)


Welcome! And congratulations on your team's performance at UMich this past weekend!
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Test Evaluation Committee

MIScioly1
Member
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: April 30th, 2017, 12:27 pm
Division: Grad
State: MI

Re: Michigan 2019

Postby MIScioly1 » Yesterday, 9:17 pm

Chameleon02 wrote:Saline is looking red hot this year, I would prob rank them 3rd or 4th


Saline indeed looks very strong across the board this year. Impressive performance at UMich this past weekend. However, I'd want to see some head-to-head results against the likes of Northville's primary team, Grand Haven, Troy, and AA Pioneer before making any rankings.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Test Evaluation Committee

Oblivion
Member
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: October 24th, 2018, 4:06 pm
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Michigan 2019

Postby Oblivion » Today, 5:12 am

MIScioly1 wrote:
Chameleon02 wrote:Saline is looking red hot this year, I would prob rank them 3rd or 4th


Saline indeed looks very strong across the board this year. Impressive performance at UMich this past weekend. However, I'd want to see some head-to-head results against the likes of Northville's primary team, Grand Haven, Troy, and AA Pioneer before making any rankings.

Saline is facing Pioneer this upcoming weekend at regionals, that will be a really big indicator of where both teams stand.

And does Grand Haven go to any invitationals?

ensfiele
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Yesterday, 8:22 pm
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Michigan 2019

Postby ensfiele » Today, 8:49 am

MIScioly1 wrote:
ensfiele wrote:
Oblivion wrote:How did the Frankenmuth invitational go?


Sorry if I format this wrong, as this is my first post here. As a member of the saline blue team I want to get more involved in the community before my time as a competitor is up (still got 2 more years!).

Anyways, here's the rankings for Frankemuth

1) Saline Blue (87)
2) Menomonie Maroon (137)
3) Canton Red (161)
4) Stevenson (223)
5) Hastings Gold (232)
6) Detroit Country Day (232)


Welcome! And congratulations on your team's performance at UMich this past weekend!


Thanks! It was a little surprising because at awards many people actually thought we weren't going to place due to us getting 0 1st place medals, but our team is just really consistent in every event. Also I take the performance with a grain of salt, due to the fact that Carmel (the 2nd place team) lost because they tanked their build events.


Return to “Regionals and States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests