WhatScience?
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Jersey 2019

Post by WhatScience? »

dxu46 wrote:
lumosityfan wrote:Registration procedures have been posted on the NJSO website and registration starts September 17th. Notice that there will be no second teams at regionals this year due to insufficient regional tournament capacity.
So basically, NJ has little to no chance of gaining a 2nd spot...rip
I feel like SOINC should make the policy that the top 10 states at nationals the previous year get a second team.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

WhatScience? wrote:
Unome wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
Going to invitationals is definetly NOT for state predictions. Practicing, sportsmanship, having fun and travelling, collecting tests, having new partners, and meeting new people are a lot more important then "predictions for states placings" which most of the time is inaccurate for div C.
I think everyone might be misinterpreting WhatScience's intention...
I meant about having only one team at regionals.

And yeah, I think B teams are allowed for invitationals (which is definitely a good thing. Competing is fun).

I am happy that the top schools can't bring two teams to regionals though. It makes it easier for people from other schools to get medals.
...top teams are just like any other teams. Top teams, as well as their B teams, all need practice. Just like any school, there are always new scioly members who are on the B team.

Also, scioly isn't about medals. It's about the experience and learning.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

sciolyperson1 wrote:
WhatScience? wrote: I meant about having only one team at regionals.

And yeah, I think B teams are allowed for invitationals (which is definitely a good thing. Competing is fun).

I am happy that the top schools can't bring two teams to regionals though. It makes it easier for people from other schools to get medals.
...top teams are just like any other teams. Top teams, as well as their B teams, all need practice. Just like any school, there are always new scioly members who are on the B team.

Also, scioly isn't about medals. It's about the experience and learning.
Though it does make it easier to get medals, the no two team rule at regionals disables more people from getting the opportunity and experience of competing. If it gets to the point where a B team doesn't even exist anymore, then people are being deprived of the knowledge and opportunity of competing that comes with Science Olympiad.
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
Paypog
State: PA

Post by Paypog »

WhatScience? wrote:I feel like SOINC should make the policy that the top 10 states at nationals the previous year get a second team.
I'm not totally sure that this makes much sense to me. There is often one state at nationals that has two teams place in the top 10. For example, previous years have seen two Ohio teams place top ten as well as Michigan and Illinois (not all in the same year). Also, this would mean that this year's national tournament would see New York only having one national team, which seems rather off considering New York has the most scioly teams in the country iirc. I'm not entirely convinced that this would be the best idea.

Edit: If you meant top 10 states and not teams(which it feels like you did mean after rereading), then this would make much more sense to me but I'm still not convinced.
Last edited by Paypog on September 23rd, 2018, 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2018 Events: Anatomy (Big oof), Ecology (Mild oof), Experimental Design( :D :D ), Herpetology (Mild oof)
2019 Events: Anatomy (oof), Experimental Design (oof), Herpetology (oof), Circuit Lab (oof)
2020 Events: Anatomy, Ornithology, Ping-Pong Parachute
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

WhatScience? wrote:I feel like SOINC should make the policy that the top 10 states at nationals the previous year get a second team.
I can't count the number of times I've seen this suggestion. If you really have something new to add to it, feel free to start a GC thread.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

Unome wrote:
I can't count the number of times I've seen this suggestion. If you really have something new to add to it, feel free to start a GC thread.
I can't say I agree with this statement: for example, what about New York B? Gelinas was 11th, so does that mean that their 2nd bid would be taken away? I think a better thing to do would be to have many separate state-like competitions with the same tests, and the 2nd place teams from each state would line up, and whichever states are in the top 10 (2nd place) would get to go to nationals.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

dxu46 wrote:
Unome wrote:
I can't say I agree with this statement: for example, what about New York B? Gelinas was 11th, so does that mean that their 2nd bid would be taken away? I think a better thing to do would be to have many separate state-like competitions with the same tests, and the 2nd place teams from each state would line up, and whichever states are in the top 10 (2nd place) would get to go to nationals.
If the NY bid was taken away, it could be replaced by NJ, for example.

And states like Florida would lose their second bid as well, which ups the competitiveness of the tourney.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

sciolyperson1 wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
Unome wrote: I can't count the number of times I've seen this suggestion. If you really have something new to add to it, feel free to start a GC thread.
If the NY bid was taken away, it could be replaced by NJ, for example.

And states like Florida would lose their second bid as well, which ups the competitiveness of the tourney.
Yes, but NY is a very competitive state. I'm not saying that NJ isn't competitive, but I believe my way would work better since it would be a true showdown of skill.
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Raleway »

Well maybe you guys were looking for this...?

For schools attending Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament Only:

Due to changes to National Science Olympiad policy, we are required to collect an additional $60 National Science Olympiad registration fee for schools who will be taking more than one team to any specific Invitational Tournament. This fee is for the National Science Olympiad membership fee for your additional team(s) and is not retained by New Jersey Science Olympiad. Separate e-mail communications will be sent to Head Coaches to inquire about which schools are subject to this rule. Additional teams under this rule do count toward New Jersey's membership numbers toward eligibility for additional bids at National Science Olympiad.

I heard very recently that NJ has now capped its regional tournaments due to lack of space with teams on its waitlist. Due to NJ's strong performance nationally and the multitude of strong teams that traditionally place well at competitions, this may give NJ a better chance at getting a second bid. Of course, NJ has always been calling for their second bid due to the big three teams in NJ that are pretty well known to most teams. This, however, does raise the interesting question if this holds for other states as well then as many NJ teams would probably attend the Princeton Invitational.
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
WhatScience?

Post by WhatScience? »

Raleway wrote:Well maybe you guys were looking for this...?

For schools attending Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament Only:

Due to changes to National Science Olympiad policy, we are required to collect an additional $60 National Science Olympiad registration fee for schools who will be taking more than one team to any specific Invitational Tournament. This fee is for the National Science Olympiad membership fee for your additional team(s) and is not retained by New Jersey Science Olympiad. Separate e-mail communications will be sent to Head Coaches to inquire about which schools are subject to this rule. Additional teams under this rule do count toward New Jersey's membership numbers toward eligibility for additional bids at National Science Olympiad.

I heard very recently that NJ has now capped its regional tournaments due to lack of space with teams on its waitlist. Due to NJ's strong performance nationally and the multitude of strong teams that traditionally place well at competitions, this may give NJ a better chance at getting a second bid. Of course, NJ has always been calling for their second bid due to the big three teams in NJ that are pretty well known to most teams. This, however, does raise the interesting question if this holds for other states as well then as many NJ teams would probably attend the Princeton Invitational.
Do you know when second bids are announced?

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”