Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: New York 2019

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

IvanGe wrote:
DrDaveV wrote:I am the coach of a 2nd team and am trying to find out what the policies are for qualifying for States in NY for Division C. From what I understand it depends on the mumber of teams/schools in the region and how many rimes the top qualifiers have advanced over the previous years. There does not seem to be a clear, easy to find policy anywhere that I can find. Does it depend on the Region or is the policy set by the state?
Each region is set by the State, and within the regions, all the teams compete in one tournament known as Regionals. The top 6(?) teams from each Region after Regionals will go to the State competition. It has nothing to do with how many times other teams have qualified for states. It is solely based on placement at Regionals.
I do know the number of teams that qualifies from each NY regional varies based on the number of teams/schools competing in that regional. Exactly how that calculation is done there, I am not sure.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Interesting the relative lack of New York posters. I remember NY used to be one of the most active threads several years ago. Hopefully we can get some new
posters active before too long!
Shhh, don't go reviving threads like that, bad form:P. This reminds me of past posters that would try to ask for conversation without suggesting much to actually discuss:/ or alternatively asking what to do about problems we can't fix here...anyway.
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
IvanGe wrote:
DrDaveV wrote:I am the coach of a 2nd team and am trying to find out what the policies are for qualifying for States in NY for Division C. From what I understand it depends on the mumber of teams/schools in the region and how many rimes the top qualifiers have advanced over the previous years. There does not seem to be a clear, easy to find policy anywhere that I can find. Does it depend on the Region or is the policy set by the state?
Each region is set by the State, and within the regions, all the teams compete in one tournament known as Regionals. The top 6(?) teams from each Region after Regionals will go to the State competition. It has nothing to do with how many times other teams have qualified for states. It is solely based on placement at Regionals.
I do know the number of teams that qualifies from each NY regional varies based on the number of teams/schools competing in that regional. Exactly how that calculation is done there, I am not sure.
First and foremost what do you mean "2nd team"? Like a Team B from a school that's also sending a Team A to regionals? If a single school in NYS sends two teams to regionals, only one can advance to States (there are other related rules to this, like http://www.newyorkscioly.org/wp-content ... -09-09.pdf or http://www.newyorkscioly.org/wp-content ... -09-09.pdf). Of course, can switch students between teams, have extras, etc...but only a single team's worth of people from the school can actually compete.

Now my speculation:
There is indeed a formula, but I forget if it depends on the State (I imagine the State has to at least approve it). I thought it was something like (total number of teams)/10 + 1. That way a regional of 50 teams should get the top 6 schools advancing to States. It might scale differently for smaller regionals, though, because I'm not sure if 10 team regionals pass only 2 teams to states...I've heard of stranger things, though. There should be numerous ways to double check knowing your region. The most obvious way I can think of is to ask your regional director (if they are responsive...), maybe another coach (if there are any responsive ones...), or checking posts from past years. Other tougher examples include getting last year's results from the State website, regionals results from Regional or State directors, or results from someone who competed last year. Another (probably much more convoluted) way might be checking who went to states last year from a given region and then checking the schedule from last year to see how many went to states.

There might be a clause somewhere that if the top team or something qualifies n number of years in a row an extra team might get added, but I haven't looked into that recently / can't confirm / thought that was an outdated ruling anyway. I think another usually more important factor is how many regionals/total teams there are in a given state, which affects how much space is available/appropriate for all the teams competing (not sure on exact formulas/numbers with that).
Last edited by syo_astro on December 25th, 2018, 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
DrDaveV
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DrDaveV »

First and foremost what do you mean "2nd team"
That should have bee "2nd year team". That is, this is the second year our school has a team.

I was an assistant at a middle school many years ago. Back then they sent the top two from our division but if the one team qualified several years in a row they would send a third.

Our Region has less than 20 teams and we sent 2 last year. I see that some regions send as many as 6. I was just curious why that particular rule is not posted with all the other policies on the NY State website. The # of teams/10+1 makes sense. Seems a bit secretive though.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

The above post is a little inaccurate. Currently, the number of qualifying schools depends only on the number of teams (or possibly number of schools, not sure) at the regional, relative to the number of teams in NY. The rule that took into account repeat qualifiers was removed a few years back.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Flavorflav
Has thanked: 0

Post by Flavorflav »

Unome wrote:
The above post is a little inaccurate. Currently, the number of qualifying schools depends only on the number of teams (or possibly number of schools, not sure) at the regional, relative to the number of teams in NY. The rule that took into account repeat qualifiers was removed a few years back.
The formula is # of teams/10, rounded up. As Unome said, until recently a bonus team was awarded if either the 1st or 2nd place team was also 1st or 2nd the year before (or possibly two years before?), but they have done away with bonus teams. Bro. Nigel from Kellenberg compiled a beautiful spreadsheet tracking the entire history of the State tournament, but sadly it was taken down when they put up the new website many years ago and never put back up.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Flavorflav wrote: The formula is # of teams/10, rounded up. As Unome said, until recently a bonus team was awarded if either the 1st or 2nd place team was also 1st or 2nd the year before (or possibly two years before?), but they have done away with bonus teams. Bro. Nigel from Kellenberg compiled a beautiful spreadsheet tracking the entire history of the State tournament, but sadly it was taken down when they put up the new website many years ago and never put back up.
Thanks Flavorflav!

I believe I or someone else asked him for the file (I honestly forget...not sure who even uploaded it, maybe an admin?) and thankfully put it up on the wiki https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/New_Y ... te_Results. Not fully up to date now, but it does go way back. Recent years were posted separately as well.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
kate!
Division: C

Post by kate! »

syo_astro wrote:
Flavorflav wrote: The formula is # of teams/10, rounded up. As Unome said, until recently a bonus team was awarded if either the 1st or 2nd place team was also 1st or 2nd the year before (or possibly two years before?), but they have done away with bonus teams. Bro. Nigel from Kellenberg compiled a beautiful spreadsheet tracking the entire history of the State tournament, but sadly it was taken down when they put up the new website many years ago and never put back up.
Thanks Flavorflav!

I believe I or someone else asked him for the file (I honestly forget...not sure who even uploaded it, maybe an admin?) and thankfully put it up on the wiki https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/New_Y ... te_Results. Not fully up to date now, but it does go way back. Recent years were posted separately as well.
They also put a document on the new website of all the past state results like we have in the chart above that section; it had some older results (who went to nats and such from like the 1980s) that we didn't have before.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
kate!

Post by kate! »

Eastern Long Island C Regionals Results:
(Bolded teams will be attending states.)
1. Ward Melville A (31)
2. Half Hollow Hills East A (144)
3. Commack A (154)
4. Earl L. Vandermeulen/Port Jeff A (163)
5. Ward Melville B (179)
6. Hauppage A (194)
7. Islip A (195)

Congratulations to Ward Melville for setting a record of the lowest score ever in the history of the regional!

(Results for other regionals that happened today will be posted when they are updated on Ezra.)
Last edited by kate! on January 27th, 2019, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

kate! wrote:Eastern Long Island C Regionals Results:
1. Ward Melville A (31)
2. Half Hollow Hills East A (144)
3. Commack A (154)
4. Earl L. Vandermeulen/Port Jeff A (163)
5. Ward Melville B (179)

Congratulations to Ward Melville for setting a record of the lowest score ever in the history of the regional!

(Results for other regionals that happened today will be posted when they are updated on Ezra.)
Props to Ward as usual....Did Islip not make it? :O
kate!

Post by kate! »

Mid-State C Regionals Results:
1. Fayetteville-Manlius A (40)
2. Jamesville-Dewitt A (107)
3. Clinton A (138)
4. Cicero North Syracuse (154)
5. Camden A (197)

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”