Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Indiana 2020

Post by pikachu4919 »

Cornstalk wrote: February 26th, 2020, 11:15 am
boomifailure wrote: February 26th, 2020, 6:24 am
Creationist127 wrote: February 26th, 2020, 6:08 am

Two things for that. First, I'd think a lot of teams have people with certain 'specialties'--a couple events they are really good at. If at a certain competition, these two or three (or more?) events conflict with each other, they have to sacrifice some events for others. Second, I would imagine that teams would tend to base their rosters off of their state's schedule, as well as the nats schedule. Like, they wouldn't assign someone to Chem Lab, Circuit Lab, and Water Quality if those events conflict at States. So their team would probably be 'optimized' when following that schedule. If the schedule for a competition is pretty similar to the state schedule, their team would probably perform better than if the schedule was significantly different.
Of course, this is just my two cents--feel free to differ (or yell at me if I'm totally off base :P ).
Ah, ok that makes some sense.
This is why I don't think regionals are an accurate representation of a team's strength. So i don't think it would help much to look at Butler results for state predictions.

P.S.: HAPPY 400TH POST
Yeah...why regional tournaments in this state don’t coordinate with each other + the state schedule (also why the state schedule never coordinates with the nats schedule) is beyond me...I guess each one wants to be special, even if they don’t realize it can hurt teams since many teams prepare on a tournament-by-tournament basis (like “OK, let’s get past this tournament and then worry about the next, not look ahead to plan ahead in the case we make it”).

Inherently, allegedly the reason why the state schedule is not lined up with the nats schedule is bc the state board likes to put out a state schedule abnormally early and not even wait for the rules release to make the schedule. I personally think that the mess that is tournament scheduling in this state doesn’t make sense, but not all the ppl who run operations in this state make sensible decisions anyways, nor are they necessarily that receptive to criticism.

Disclaimer: These are my personal thoughts and do not reflect the opinions of the staff of scioly.org.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

pikachu4919 wrote: February 26th, 2020, 3:17 pmnot all the ppl who run operations in this state make sensible decisions anyways, nor are they necessarily that receptive to criticism.
Ironic that the states that have directors and/or boards not receptive to criticism are often the ones who need it the most. Pretty much the only ones who could have any outside influence on them is NSO, but they apparently choose to be really hands-off so progress happens veeeeeeeeeeeery slooooooooooooowly.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote: February 26th, 2020, 5:19 pm
pikachu4919 wrote: February 26th, 2020, 3:17 pmnot all the ppl who run operations in this state make sensible decisions anyways, nor are they necessarily that receptive to criticism.
Ironic that the states that have directors and/or boards not receptive to criticism are often the ones who need it the most. Pretty much the only ones who could have any outside influence on them is NSO, but they apparently choose to be really hands-off so progress happens veeeeeeeeeeeery slooooooooooooowly.
(personal beliefs disclaimer: I am not trying to attack anyone and openly admit I am ignorant regarding this topic)
I feel that, since SciOly is now a relatively more established competition, the directors/boards that needed criticism in the past and responded to it need criticism a lot less now, and continue to (mostly) accept criticism to adapt or improve over time. The boards that do not accept criticism, however, maintain many of the issues they began with. No one is expected to get it perfectly the first time. They are merely asked to improve.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
muushuuking
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by muushuuking »

Vortexx2 wrote: February 25th, 2020, 8:49 am To try to get the forums back on topic, I'll throw my own predictions out there. These might change after seeing the butler regional.

Division C:
1. Carmel
2. Munster
3. BHS
4. BHN
5. John Adams
6. Lake Central
I agree that Munster does not seem to be struggling that much from losing their coach, but I am personally wary of their state title contention. Their usual strength, builds, seem to be struggling this year, so unless they pick up their boomis and wrights, they will be hard pressed to win. Again, their usual wright legend (the 3:30 minute flight man himself) is not on state team, so I personally would put BHS as 2 unless they reinstate the wright legend himself into his rightful spot on the state team.
Last edited by pikachu4919 on February 27th, 2020, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed namedrop
Creationist127

Post by Creationist127 »

muushuuking wrote: February 26th, 2020, 8:22 pm
Vortexx2 wrote: February 25th, 2020, 8:49 am To try to get the forums back on topic, I'll throw my own predictions out there. These might change after seeing the butler regional.

Division C:
1. Carmel
2. Munster
3. BHS
4. BHN
5. John Adams
6. Lake Central
I agree that Munster does not seem to be struggling that much from losing their coach, but I am personally wary of their state title contention. Their usual strength, builds, seem to be struggling this year, so unless they pick up their boomis and wrights, they will be hard pressed to win. Again, their usual wright legend (the 3:30 minute flight person themself) is not on state team, so I personally would put BHS as 2 unless they reinstate the wright legend themself (removed to protect privacy) into their rightful spot on the state team.
[eyes narrow]
While said 'wright legend' did essentially carry WS for the last couple years... the rest of us are not incompetent. We haven't performed very well, sure... but this was mostly due to two factors: laziness and inability to test fly. One of those factors is quite easy to fix, and right now, we don't think we'll pull an epic fail... as you may seem to think.
(Though I do personally agree--if anything will hold us back, it's our builds... :cry: )
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, anything but Wright Stuff

Can I request that we delete 2020 from our memories and do it over again?
boomifailure
State: MI

Post by boomifailure »

Creationist127 wrote: February 27th, 2020, 6:35 am

Division C:
1. Carmel
2. Munster
3. BHS
4. BHN
5. John Adams
6. Lake Central
I agree that Munster does not seem to be struggling that much from losing their coach, but I am personally wary of their state title contention. Their usual strength, builds, seem to be struggling this year, so unless they pick up their boomis and wrights, they will be hard pressed to win. Again, their usual wright legend (the 3:30 minute flight person themself) is not on state team, so I personally would put BHS as 2 unless they reinstate the wright legend themself (removed to protect privacy) into their rightful spot on the state team.
[eyes narrow]
While said 'wright legend' did essentially carry WS for the last couple years... the rest of us are not incompetent. We haven't performed very well, sure... but this was mostly due to two factors: laziness and inability to test fly. One of those factors is quite easy to fix, and right now, we don't think we'll pull an epic fail... as you may seem to think.
(Though I do personally agree--if anything will hold us back, it's our builds... :cry: )
I'm very confused to where he called you incompetent. The only slightly incompetent thing I've read is that Wright Legend isn't on state team with that thicc 3:30 flight time. But, there do be casualties when you try to win state.
Creationist127

Post by Creationist127 »

boomifailure wrote: February 27th, 2020, 7:01 am

[eyes narrow]
I'm very confused to where he called you incompetent. The only slightly incompetent thing I've read is that Wright Legend isn't on state team with that thicc 3:30 flight time. But, there do be casualties when you try to win state.
I didn't really mean to imply that, sorry. I mostly meant, we can be just as successful as 'wright legend', despite what you may or may not think. I know you didn't mean that as an attack on anyone, I just took it a little wrong... (and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 3:30 time refers to last year...)
In other news, does anyone know how Carmel's builds have been doing? I haven't been paying enough attention lately.
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, anything but Wright Stuff

Can I request that we delete 2020 from our memories and do it over again?
hmma

Post by hmma »

[eyes narrow]
Adding to Creationist's post - Obviously a member from Munster's State team who participates in Wright Stuff (as seen in signature) - I can understand how he may have been offended by the comment of the "WS legend" having a "rightful spot" on the state team. Putting together a (potentially) winning state team requires taking a lot more into consideration that performance from PREVIOUS years by the so-called "WS legend". I'm not completely sure and please correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that this unnamed "WS legend" Munster may have has not won a single competition in their season.
These users thanked the author hmma for the post (total 6):
Vortexx2 (March 11th, 2020, 8:11 am) • Cornstalk (March 14th, 2020, 5:53 pm) • CM3Rollin (November 10th, 2020, 7:51 pm) • BrainDrain (November 11th, 2020, 6:50 am) • hmmt1 (November 11th, 2020, 7:04 am) • h1N1 (November 11th, 2020, 9:53 am)
boomifailure

Post by boomifailure »

hmma wrote: February 27th, 2020, 7:46 am

[eyes narrow]
Adding to Creationist's post - Obviously a member from Munster's State team who participates in Wright Stuff (as seen in signature) - I can understand how he may have been offended by the comment of the "WS legend" having a "rightful spot" on the state team. Putting together a (potentially) winning state team requires taking a lot more into consideration that performance from PREVIOUS years by the so-called "WS legend". I'm not completely sure and please correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that this unnamed "WS legend" Munster may have has not won a single competition in their season.
Dang WS Legend is a fraud?!
boomifailure

Post by boomifailure »

Creationist127 wrote: February 27th, 2020, 7:44 am

[eyes narrow]
I didn't really mean to imply that, sorry. I mostly meant, we can be just as successful as 'wright legend', despite what you may or may not think. I know you didn't mean that as an attack on anyone, I just took it a little wrong... (and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 3:30 time refers to last year...)
In other news, does anyone know how Carmel's builds have been doing? I haven't been paying enough attention lately.
Carmel Boomi is solid I'm pretty sure.

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”