Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Indiana 2020

Post by builderguy135 »

hmma wrote: February 27th, 2020, 9:02 am
boomifailure wrote: February 27th, 2020, 8:56 am
hmma wrote: February 27th, 2020, 8:54 am
Looking at score sheets from competitions Munster has attended (and assuming WS legend is any Munster teams best placement) you can see WS legend has placed at Palatine, RP, and Regionals. They did not place at UMich and I can't seem to remember if they placed at Northridge (although I don't think they did). My best guess to the times WS legend was achieving this year was likely in the range of 1:30-2 minutes with his/her best flights.
Wow, that's a bit of a falloff. By any chance is it because of the coach that left?
It is quite the falloff but I think this would be more likely accredited to the rule changes regarding wing size, stabilizer size, and propeller size. I have never participated in Wright Stuff so I can't tell of the effect these changes would have but I'm sure it must have something to do with it.
1:30-2 minutes in wright stuff this year is among the best in the country.
Reasons why the times are so much lower:
1) 8 cm propeller. Makes props very inefficient and spin fast, resulting in a long and heavy motorstick so the rubber doesn't droop.
2) Extremely small stab makes the tailboom to be extremely long.
3) Biplanes make it really hard to trim.
4) Thin rubber, again from the inefficient propeller, requires a lot more length.
4) 8 gram planes

Also @hmma, just because they haven't won a competition yet, doesn't mean they're automatically just "not good". On the other hand, just because you won a competition (or a few), you're not automatically "good" by your standards either.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
hmma
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by hmma »

boomifailure wrote: February 27th, 2020, 9:07 am
hmma wrote: February 27th, 2020, 9:04 am
Vortexx2 wrote: February 27th, 2020, 9:00 am
He couldn't go to UMich.
Also, I don't think he would want his times shared but if what he told me is correct they are VERY good
I'm interested in what you may consider very good times as Munster has yet to win Wright Stuff at even the least competitive of your competitions this year.
Yeah, but it may be good enough to win state. That's at least how I think a team who is trying to win states would define "VERY good."
I can see that, however it is also my understanding that early-season RP (even though all state contenders are present), Northridge, and Purdue Northwest Regionals are WAYYYYY less competitive than state.
These users thanked the author hmma for the post (total 7):
Vortexx2 (March 11th, 2020, 8:11 am) • Cornstalk (March 14th, 2020, 5:53 pm) • CM3Rollin (November 10th, 2020, 7:48 pm) • BrainDrain (November 11th, 2020, 6:50 am) • hmmt1 (November 11th, 2020, 7:05 am) • WAPscioly (November 11th, 2020, 7:11 am) • h1N1 (November 11th, 2020, 9:52 am)
boomifailure
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Post by boomifailure »

hmma wrote: February 27th, 2020, 9:09 am
boomifailure wrote: February 27th, 2020, 9:07 am
hmma wrote: February 27th, 2020, 9:04 am
I'm interested in what you may consider very good times as Munster has yet to win Wright Stuff at even the least competitive of your competitions this year.
Yeah, but it may be good enough to win state. That's at least how I think a team who is trying to win states would define "VERY good."
I can see that, however it is also my understanding that early-season RP (even though all state contenders are present), Northridge, and Purdue Northwest Regionals are WAYYYYY less competitive than state.
But, it was early season at RP as you pointed out, so their WS may have improved since then.
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

I find this back and forth between people here interesting.

Also rather pointless. The best plane will win. Talking about it doesn't really do anyone any good.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
boomifailure

Post by boomifailure »

BennyTheJett wrote: February 27th, 2020, 9:13 am I find this back and forth between people here interesting.

Also rather pointless. The best plane will win. Talking about it doesn't really do anyone any good.
The whole point of the forums, however is to talk about results and stuff, so how is it pointless exactly? And yes obviously the best will win as long as not tiered.
hmma

Post by hmma »

builderguy135 wrote: February 27th, 2020, 9:09 am
hmma wrote: February 27th, 2020, 9:02 am
boomifailure wrote: February 27th, 2020, 8:56 am

Wow, that's a bit of a falloff. By any chance is it because of the coach that left?
It is quite the falloff but I think this would be more likely accredited to the rule changes regarding wing size, stabilizer size, and propeller size. I have never participated in Wright Stuff so I can't tell of the effect these changes would have but I'm sure it must have something to do with it.
1:30-2 minutes in wright stuff this year is among the best in the country.
Reasons why the times are so much lower:
1) 8 cm propeller. Makes props very inefficient and spin fast, resulting in a long and heavy motorstick so the rubber doesn't droop.
2) Extremely small stab makes the tailboom to be extremely long.
3) Biplanes make it really hard to trim.
4) Thin rubber, again from the inefficient propeller, requires a lot more length.
4) 8 gram planes

Also @hmma, just because they haven't won a competition yet, doesn't mean they're automatically just "not good". On the other hand, just because you won a competition (or a few), you're not automatically "good" by your standards either.
Woah @builderguy135 quoted me :o Anyway, those times are definitely not confirmed as I have already stated but merely someone's (who has never participated in WS) guesses. Using the knowledge you have just shared of the effects of these rule changes and past competition results Munster's flight times are likely much lower than what I have previously stated. I understand not winning a competition does not make you bad but placements in competition are indicators of how well a team is performing in ANY given event.
These users thanked the author hmma for the post (total 7):
Vortexx2 (March 11th, 2020, 8:11 am) • Cornstalk (March 14th, 2020, 5:52 pm) • CM3Rollin (November 10th, 2020, 7:48 pm) • BrainDrain (November 11th, 2020, 6:50 am) • hmmt1 (November 11th, 2020, 7:05 am) • WAPscioly (November 11th, 2020, 7:11 am) • h1N1 (November 11th, 2020, 9:52 am)
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

Everything is hypothetical. What scores the "WS legend" may or may not have, with unconfirmed rumors swirling, and people pulling at the straws trying to guess times. At the end of the day, the best team wins. If the "WS legend" has a better plane he will win. Sitting here talking about exactly how good his plane is does nothing productive, where people could better spend their time working on their actual events. THAT is my reasoning.

boomifailure

Post by boomifailure »

BennyTheJett wrote: February 27th, 2020, 9:16 am Everything is hypothetical. What scores the "WS legend" may or may not have, with unconfirmed rumors swirling, and people pulling at the straws trying to guess times. At the end of the day, the best team wins. If the "WS legend" has a better plane he will win. Sitting here talking about exactly how good his plane is does nothing productive, where people could better spend their time working on their actual events. THAT is my reasoning.
ummm, why aren't you working on your actual events then? good leaders follow their own ideals. no offense
Last edited by boomifailure on February 27th, 2020, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
hmma

Post by hmma »

BennyTheJett wrote: February 27th, 2020, 9:16 am Everything is hypothetical. What scores the "WS legend" may or may not have, with unconfirmed rumors swirling, and people pulling at the straws trying to guess times. At the end of the day, the best team wins. If the "WS legend" has a better plane he will win. Sitting here talking about exactly how good his plane is does nothing productive, where people could better spend their time working on their actual events. THAT is my reasoning.
Like boomi already said, the point of the forums is to discuss and even predict scores and results of events. For individuals like myself who have graduated and still have an interest in Science Olympiad, this is a great site to continue participation at any level whether this be discussion or instruction/advice in events I have competed in.
These users thanked the author hmma for the post (total 6):
Vortexx2 (March 11th, 2020, 8:10 am) • Cornstalk (March 14th, 2020, 5:52 pm) • CM3Rollin (November 10th, 2020, 7:47 pm) • BrainDrain (November 11th, 2020, 6:49 am) • WAPscioly (November 11th, 2020, 7:11 am) • h1N1 (November 11th, 2020, 9:52 am)
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

That's true, I am hypocritical. I am not here to stop you, rather ask the point of the discussion.

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”