Ohio 2020

Show your regional and state pride!
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Posts: 416
Joined: May 19th, 2017, 10:55 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Ohio 2020

Post by nicholasmaurer » March 10th, 2020, 3:12 pm

Unome wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 3:05 pm
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 2:21 pm
nicholasmaurer wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 2:00 pm


In addition to the decision about on-campus classes you mention, OSU also issued guidance cancelling most non-essential campus events through April 20. My impression is that this period will likely be extended further. I would be shocked if the number and distribution of cases in Ohio and elsewhere does not continue to escalate, despite best efforts at containment. This is especially true given how many people are in transit across the country due to spring break for many schools and colleges.

I have a lot of incredibly disappointed students today, but I do not question the careful, thoughtful consideration I know this decision received by our state director and her team. I know Angela personally, and I know she did not make this decision lightly or without extreme care for the "feelings of the competitors".
Considering that the period has not actually yet been extended further, I still believe the decision is premature. I believe you that the director would not make such a decision lightly, but I still maintain it is an overreaction to do so this early. It reeks of getting carried away.

There is nothing wrong with taking a wait-and-see approach and warning students and coaches that the state tournament may be cancelled. That should be the default except in drastic cases, and I have trouble seeing Ohio as such a case.
I would have to concur. I do think this could have waited until OSU actually extends, assuming they do so.
As the entirety of Ohio Science Olympiad is run by an OSU department, I am confident this decision was made (almost by definition) in consultation with the university based upon their expectations for campus events. Additionally, as there are several regional tournaments that have yet to be completed, and as at least one of those venues (University of Akron) has just cancelled classes and campus events through late April, I think this decision was inevitable.

Conducting a state tournament if some regions are unable to identify their qualifiers, and others have schools who are unwilling to allow their teams to travel, is not feasible.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

nmurali2002
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: October 26th, 2018, 3:37 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Ohio 2020

Post by nmurali2002 » March 10th, 2020, 3:37 pm

I am a senior in high school. I'm a captain this year, and I wanted to see our team perform well at states. I am very disappointed - but I fully support this decision. Cancelling mass gatherings will help us to "delay the peak" and prepare our healthcare system for the worst to come. Public health is far more important than a high school competition.

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2106
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Ohio 2020

Post by chalker » March 10th, 2020, 3:59 pm

snowyowl wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 1:51 pm
It does feel like a bit of an overreaction, and not taking into account the feelings of the competitors, whereas cancellation was much more understandable in other states.
While I didn't make the decision, I was closely involved over the previous 4 days in numerous discussions regarding the situation that is evolving. I can assure you that the impact on everyone, including competitors was thoroughly considered and this decision was not one that was rushed nor taken lightly. Peer pressure from other states also was definitely not a factor, although there was discussion with other states regarding their situation and thought process.

Rest assured that there is EXTENSIVE discussion happening at every level of Science Olympiad, as well as close coordination happening behind the scenes amongst various administrators and stakeholders about everything that is going on and the best path forward for every event. None of us are taking this lightly nor rushing to judgment about anything, but we need to balance that with importance of providing transparency in as timely a manner as possible.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

snowyowl
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: March 2nd, 2020, 5:44 am
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Somewhere where Snowy Owls are rare, sadly
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ohio 2020

Post by snowyowl » March 10th, 2020, 4:13 pm

chalker wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 3:59 pm
snowyowl wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 1:51 pm
It does feel like a bit of an overreaction, and not taking into account the feelings of the competitors, whereas cancellation was much more understandable in other states.
While I didn't make the decision, I was closely involved over the previous 4 days in numerous discussions regarding the situation that is evolving. I can assure you that the impact on everyone, including competitors was thoroughly considered and this decision was not one that was rushed nor taken lightly. Peer pressure from other states also was definitely not a factor, although there was discussion with other states regarding their situation and thought process.

Rest assured that there is EXTENSIVE discussion happening at every level of Science Olympiad, as well as close coordination happening behind the scenes amongst various administrators and stakeholders about everything that is going on and the best path forward for every event. None of us are taking this lightly nor rushing to judgment about anything, but we need to balance that with importance of providing transparency in as timely a manner as possible.
I apologize for my comment, which sounded more critical and insensitive than I intended. The point that I was originally trying to convey was that this appeared to be an early overreaction, although I now understand that this is not the case.
Team captain: South Woods Middle School Team A (feeds into the slightly more-well known Syosset High School)

One of many affected by the Coronavirus Cancellations

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2106
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Ohio 2020

Post by chalker » March 10th, 2020, 6:00 pm

snowyowl wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 4:13 pm
I apologize for my comment, which sounded more critical and insensitive than I intended. The point that I was originally trying to convey was that this appeared to be an early overreaction, although I now understand that this is not the case.
No problem at all. To help put this in a bit more perspective, as of Tuesday evening when I am posting this, here is a list of the Ohio universities that have implemented similar restrictions to those Ohio State put in place Monday night (which generally include all classes being remote, limited travel, and canceling events):
Ohio State
Bowling Green
Capital
Case Western
U. Cincinnati
U. Akron
John Carroll
Kent State
Miami U.
Otterbein
U. Toledo
Youngstown State
Muskingum

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

User avatar
MoMoney$$$;)0)
Member
Member
Posts: 153
Joined: January 14th, 2019, 6:38 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: In Cleveland Somewhere
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Ohio 2020

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) » March 11th, 2020, 7:57 am

snowyowl wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 4:13 pm
chalker wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 3:59 pm
snowyowl wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 1:51 pm
It does feel like a bit of an overreaction, and not taking into account the feelings of the competitors, whereas cancellation was much more understandable in other states.
While I didn't make the decision, I was closely involved over the previous 4 days in numerous discussions regarding the situation that is evolving. I can assure you that the impact on everyone, including competitors was thoroughly considered and this decision was not one that was rushed nor taken lightly. Peer pressure from other states also was definitely not a factor, although there was discussion with other states regarding their situation and thought process.

Rest assured that there is EXTENSIVE discussion happening at every level of Science Olympiad, as well as close coordination happening behind the scenes amongst various administrators and stakeholders about everything that is going on and the best path forward for every event. None of us are taking this lightly nor rushing to judgment about anything, but we need to balance that with importance of providing transparency in as timely a manner as possible.
I apologize for my comment, which sounded more critical and insensitive than I intended. The point that I was originally trying to convey was that this appeared to be an early overreaction, although I now understand that this is not the case.
I strongly disagree that this was a bad idea. I feel that public health is to surpass any decisions into having this state competition. Although our team was going to states I feel that regardless of the sadness of our team members, it will be the best idea to cancel the competition for everything. Also, I feel that if enough states cancel the state tournament, they should also cancel that National Tournament as well.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling


2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4254
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Ohio 2020

Post by Unome » March 11th, 2020, 8:12 am

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 7:57 am
snowyowl wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 4:13 pm
chalker wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 3:59 pm


While I didn't make the decision, I was closely involved over the previous 4 days in numerous discussions regarding the situation that is evolving. I can assure you that the impact on everyone, including competitors was thoroughly considered and this decision was not one that was rushed nor taken lightly. Peer pressure from other states also was definitely not a factor, although there was discussion with other states regarding their situation and thought process.

Rest assured that there is EXTENSIVE discussion happening at every level of Science Olympiad, as well as close coordination happening behind the scenes amongst various administrators and stakeholders about everything that is going on and the best path forward for every event. None of us are taking this lightly nor rushing to judgment about anything, but we need to balance that with importance of providing transparency in as timely a manner as possible.
I apologize for my comment, which sounded more critical and insensitive than I intended. The point that I was originally trying to convey was that this appeared to be an early overreaction, although I now understand that this is not the case.
I strongly disagree that this was a bad idea. I feel that public health is to surpass any decisions into having this state competition. Although our team was going to states I feel that regardless of the sadness of our team members, it will be the best idea to cancel the competition for everything. Also, I feel that if enough states cancel the state tournament, they should also cancel that National Tournament as well.
I would take the position that teams are perfectly free to cancel their attendance at their own discretion.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

SOPomo
Member
Member
Posts: 120
Joined: March 7th, 2016, 12:38 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Ohio 2020

Post by SOPomo » March 11th, 2020, 9:41 am

Unome wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 8:12 am
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 7:57 am
snowyowl wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 4:13 pm


I apologize for my comment, which sounded more critical and insensitive than I intended. The point that I was originally trying to convey was that this appeared to be an early overreaction, although I now understand that this is not the case.
I strongly disagree that this was a bad idea. I feel that public health is to surpass any decisions into having this state competition. Although our team was going to states I feel that regardless of the sadness of our team members, it will be the best idea to cancel the competition for everything. Also, I feel that if enough states cancel the state tournament, they should also cancel that National Tournament as well.
I would take the position that teams are perfectly free to cancel their attendance at their own discretion.
People rarely act in the best interest of others in a situation like that, though.

Being proactive instead of reactive is one of the best possible things a society can do to curb the effects of a possible pandemic. Yes it disrupts a lot of stuff but it also prevents a lot of deaths and helps hospitals deal with a gradual influx of patients instead of a mad rush like in Italy.

With NC districts starting to restrict travel also I think Nats is only a matter of time to make a similar announcement.

snowyowl
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: March 2nd, 2020, 5:44 am
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Somewhere where Snowy Owls are rare, sadly
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ohio 2020

Post by snowyowl » March 11th, 2020, 11:59 am

SOPomo wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 9:41 am
Unome wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 8:12 am
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 7:57 am


I strongly disagree that this was a bad idea. I feel that public health is to surpass any decisions into having this state competition. Although our team was going to states I feel that regardless of the sadness of our team members, it will be the best idea to cancel the competition for everything. Also, I feel that if enough states cancel the state tournament, they should also cancel that National Tournament as well.
I would take the position that teams are perfectly free to cancel their attendance at their own discretion.
People rarely act in the best interest of others in a situation like that, though.

Being proactive instead of reactive is one of the best possible things a society can do to curb the effects of a possible pandemic. Yes it disrupts a lot of stuff but it also prevents a lot of deaths and helps hospitals deal with a gradual influx of patients instead of a mad rush like in Italy.

With NC districts starting to restrict travel also I think Nats is only a matter of time to make a similar announcement.
After hearing these opinions, I do agree. I recently read a New York Times article supporting this idea; that being proactive lessens the pressure on hospitals.
Team captain: South Woods Middle School Team A (feeds into the slightly more-well known Syosset High School)

One of many affected by the Coronavirus Cancellations

User avatar
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2142
Joined: January 5th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Seattle, WA
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 229 times
Contact:

Re: Ohio 2020

Post by bernard » March 11th, 2020, 12:24 pm

snowyowl wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 11:59 am
After hearing these opinions, I do agree. I recently read a New York Times article supporting this idea; that being proactive lessens the pressure on hospitals.
flattening_the_curve_final.jpg
flattening_the_curve_final.jpg (30.14 KiB) Viewed 512 times
These users thanked the author bernard for the post (total 2):
Mr.Epithelium (March 11th, 2020, 12:38 pm) • MoMoney$$$;)0) (March 11th, 2020, 2:43 pm)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Post Reply

Return to “Regionals & States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest