Michigan 2020

Show your regional and state pride!
AlfWeg
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Michigan 2020

Postby AlfWeg » September 28th, 2019, 8:43 am

There are 6 testing blocks, no surprises
That isn't a surprise? Or have I mixed up MI with some other state...
They went to 5 testing blocks last year. Before that it was always 6. I'm only a little surprised they went back to 6 blocks this year; I'm sure they got more than a few complaints. Although I had thought that it was possible that one of the reasons they went to 17 students per team was that they were sticking with the 5 blocks.

I think when I said no surprises, I meant that it matches the National schedule.
Odd, I wonder why they went with 17 then, 2 kids makes very little difference if nothing else changes
No Source code? That's been around for a few years... Also, the MSU website says nats is at Colorado State University :P
Last&SeventhYearOlympian
Event: r/s/n(Big Sad)
DP: 2/2/20
Protein: 2/2/15
Thermo: 3/6/16
Chem: 3/15/22

NorView/CenterVille/UMICH/r/s
Machines:
DP:
Code:
GeoMap:
Protein:
My favorite events conflict :cry: RIP Protein&Chem
It's kinda Dull --> [userpage]AlfWeg[/userpage]

meierfra

Postby meierfra » October 11th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Coaches got an email from the State Director: Michigan Science Olympiad is not allowed to increase their team size to 17, so they are going back to 15 per team for this year.

pb5754[]
State: NJ

Postby pb5754[] » October 11th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Coaches got an email from the State Director: Michigan Science Olympiad is not allowed to increase their team size to 17, so they are going back to 15 per team for this year.
Why is Michigan "not allowed" to increase their team size? It's strange that Michigan is not allowed to let teams bring 17 people while NJ apparently is...

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » October 11th, 2019, 3:00 pm

Why is Michigan "not allowed" to increase their team size? It's strange that Michigan is not allowed to let teams bring 17 people while NJ apparently is...
That certainly is strange.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

builderguy135
Division: B

Postby builderguy135 » October 11th, 2019, 3:20 pm

I wish NJ was the same, honestly. :/
HSN '22 & DMAH Co-Captain
6-time medalist in Nationals 2019
2020 Events: Detector/PPP/Sounds/Wright

gz839918
State: NC

Postby gz839918 » October 11th, 2019, 5:49 pm

I don't know what the Michigan state office has been telling teams, but their website has the unclear statement that SO Inc. "advised" that teams should be limited to 15 members. I feel it's unlikely that the national office required Michigan to revert to 15 members per team; after all, New Jersey and North Carolina have been able to expand team numbers, and even greater numbers of states find tweaks to the national rules somehow or other (looking at you, Texas trial events and score dropping!), so why be picky about this one case? Maybe SO Inc. has more influence in Gerard Putz's home state??? :?: I have no idea, really.
I ❤ sounds of music! About me
Physics and biology events

UNC-Chapel Hill ’23

meierfra

Postby meierfra » October 12th, 2019, 8:21 am

I don't know what the Michigan state office has been telling teams, but their website has the unclear statement that SO Inc. "advised" that teams should be limited to 15 members. I feel it's unlikely that the national office required Michigan to revert to 15 members per team; after all, New Jersey and North Carolina have been able to expand team numbers, and even greater numbers of states find tweaks to the national rules somehow or other (looking at you, Texas trial events and score dropping!), so why be picky about this one case? Maybe SO Inc. has more influence in Gerard Putz's home state??? :?: I have no idea, really.
The coaches got the same statement that is on the website. It says they were advised that team size cannot be increased; not that it should be limited.

sciolyperson1

Postby sciolyperson1 » October 12th, 2019, 1:45 pm

The coaches got the same statement that is on the website. It says they were advised that team size cannot be increased; not that it should be limited.
The reason NJ teams has 18 members / team could be due to the fact that trials count towards the team score.
WW-P HSN '22

Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Team (Nats) - 3rd '18, '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17

'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP - Detector?
Vehicle event medalling streak - 13
Rate my tests!

gz839918
State: NC

Postby gz839918 » October 12th, 2019, 1:45 pm

I read the website. If "cannot" were truly what SO Inc. meant, then North Carolina and New Jersey would have received similar and binding requests against more than 15 students per team. Since this isn't the case, I'd imagine this is just imprecise word choice, even though I know this is not the exact words written.
I ❤ sounds of music! About me
Physics and biology events

UNC-Chapel Hill ’23

pb5754[]

Postby pb5754[] » October 12th, 2019, 2:31 pm

The reason NJ teams has 18 members / team could be due to the fact that trials count towards the team score.
But NJ also allows teams to bring alternates to compete in trial events in addition to an 18-member team.

Return to “Regionals & States”