Illinois 2021

knightmoves

Re: Illinois 2021

Post by knightmoves »

jgrischow1 wrote: April 11th, 2021, 4:04 pm I thought someone suggested it was designed to "catch" people who were Googling (who knows how they could prove that).
That's an interesting suggestion, although you point out the difficulty of proving anything. In theory, under the assumption that Illinois has no middle school speakers of Finnish, you could have the coaches demand to see where on their single sheet of reference paper did they think it worthwhile recording the etymology of the word "tundra", and leave it to the coaches to do the right thing.
pettyprotein
Division: C
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by pettyprotein »

knightmoves wrote: April 10th, 2021, 9:13 am
chrroh wrote: April 9th, 2021, 12:24 am Going out on a limb here - this could be super incorrect but at this point idc. This is based purely off of Regional Scores to dilute any bias.

1. Stevenson
2. New Trier
3. Naperville North [1]
4. University of Chicago Lab [2]
5. Neuqua Valley [3]
6. IMSA [4]
7. Niles North [5]
8. Hinsdale Central [6]
9. Naperville Central [6]
10. Vernon Hills [7]
I think Hinsdale and Naperville Central might do better than that. I'd rank both of those schools above Neuqua and IMSA. Agree that Vernon Hills is likely to place in the top 10. I think this could be Naperville North's year to take one of the state qualifying positions (probably bumping New Trier to third).

Otherwise I think that's a fair set of predictions. (Wouldn't it be nice to see the master regional scoresheet, though...)
Now that I've seen the A/AA split, it looks like that split is consistent with having been drawn from the master regional scoresheet (No A team placed above an AA team at regionals etc.)
Including the prediction post, Vernon Hills had a big upset in 2019 as in 2nd place regionals, right? I believe they almost beat/beat Stevenson at an invitational, so do you think a top 10 is really likely for then?
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

pettyprotein wrote: April 12th, 2021, 4:11 pm Including the prediction post, Vernon Hills had a big upset in 2019 as in 2nd place regionals, right? I believe they almost beat/beat Stevenson at an invitational, so do you think a top 10 is really likely for then?
Vernon Hills has performed consistently well at invitationals this year. They placed second to Stevenson at the CLC regional, placing above Grayslake Central and Warren Township, both of which are decent teams. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they'd placed top 10 in the master regional rankings. In fact, just looking at the list of AA teams, it looks close to mathematically impossible that Vernon Hills didn't place in the top 10 for the state-wide regional results.
These users thanked the author knightmoves for the post:
vhhsvarsity (April 21st, 2021, 7:35 pm)
pettyprotein
Been thanked: 0

Post by pettyprotein »

knightmoves wrote: April 15th, 2021, 9:26 am
pettyprotein wrote: April 12th, 2021, 4:11 pm Including the prediction post, Vernon Hills had a big upset in 2019 as in 2nd place regionals, right? I believe they almost beat/beat Stevenson at an invitational, so do you think a top 10 is really likely for then?
Vernon Hills has performed consistently well at invitationals this year. They placed second to Stevenson at the CLC regional, placing above Grayslake Central and Warren Township, both of which are decent teams. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they'd placed top 10 in the master regional rankings. In fact, just looking at the list of AA teams, it looks close to mathematically impossible that Vernon Hills didn't place in the top 10 for the state-wide regional results.
interesting!! what teams from Illinois would you compare Vernon Hills to, then, as this is their first time competing at state?
Booknerd
Division: B
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Booknerd »

With a few hours left before awards, I just want to quickly throw in some div. B predictions as well. With no Marie Murphy this year, I'm excited to see a new team take one of the bids.

1. DW - still going strong
2. Whitney Young Academic Center - most people might disagree with me on this one and maybe I'm biased, but I think that WYAC has the potential to take the second bid. Their performance at UChicago was really impressive this year, and with builds being counted as trials, I think they can take second.
3. SAA - They're still going strong, and their placements at UChicago and Kildeer I think is enough to say that they're a strong contender this year as much as past years.
4. Hawthorn North
5-7. Twin Groves, South, and Woodlawn (in no particular order)
8-10. Kennedy, North Park, Woodland (also in no particular order)
These users thanked the author Booknerd for the post (total 2):
pettyprotein (April 17th, 2021, 8:52 am) • Umaroth (April 17th, 2021, 8:54 am)
We don't talk about Pentathlon.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

pettyprotein wrote: April 15th, 2021, 12:40 pm interesting!! what teams from Illinois would you compare Vernon Hills to, then, as this is their first time competing at state?
I don't think I can call out their detailed strengths and weaknesses, but I'd say they were competitive with schools like Naperville Central, Neuqua, Waubonsee, Hinsdale Central. Hawthorn Middle School North has been performing well in B division for the last few years, and I think their kids go on to Vernon Hills: I wonder if Vernon Hills is seeing the benefit of that.
chrroh
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Post by chrroh »

Apparently the summarized results of the tournament are already posted on the "State Tournament Results" forum. Wonder how they were able to access the scores before they're released on April 25th, but hey w/e.
Last edited by chrroh on April 19th, 2021, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by pb5754 »

chrroh wrote: April 19th, 2021, 10:52 am Apparently the summarized results of the tournament are already posted on the "State Tournament Results" forum. Wonder how they were able to access the scores before they're released on April 25th, but hey w/e.
The results I got were from screenshots of Avogadro posted on the scioly.org discord.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... height=587
https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... height=586
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
vhhsvarsity
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by vhhsvarsity »

Congrats to all who competed!!! And to all who placed!! :)
These users thanked the author vhhsvarsity for the post:
Booknerd (April 27th, 2021, 2:21 pm)

Return to “2021 Regionals & States”