Nydauron
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Illinois 2021

Post by Nydauron »

This year has no doubt resulted in fewer teams participating. I am unaware of the status down with Champaign teams, but I'd imagine most teams (especially rural or less competitive teams) are in a similar unfortunate situation. That being said, of the teams that participated at Palatine last season, roughly 25/34 of schools returned. Note that this sample applies more towards greater suburban Chicago. Depending on how this situation goes (positively or negatively), this percentage is subject to change.

I'm not sure why ISO might increase the total number of bids, but what probably might happen is they will redistribute bids across regionals (as they do every season). Another decision ISO might make is to reduce the total number of state teams, which would probably only happen if there was a significant number of teams not participating. But, it's up to ISO's decision at the end of the day.

With less than 90 days until regionals (and less than 125 days til state), I doubt most teams would be able to "bounce-back" as it also relies on their school districts. Once some form of herd immunity is achieved, I think most schools at that point would prioritize reacclimating academics back to a more IRL environment before doing the same for extracurriculars. But I'd imagine this would take some months ...

Regarding the whole situation, while there will always be teams that can't afford to do Scioly for a season due to the predicament we are in, I find it fortunate that some students at least get some opportunity with the systems SOInc put in place. This year basically nullified the idea of having in-person tournaments for a vast majority of schools, so the fact that SOInc salvaged what they could from this season is impressive, in my opinion. I'm definitely hoping that 2021 offers more opportunities for teams to return with hopefully being in-person by then, but to that, I'll knock on wood ...
Conant '19UIUC '23
Physics is the only real science
Change my mind
Nydauron's Userpage
A proper dark mode for the forums and wiki
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Nydauron wrote: December 8th, 2020, 5:39 pm Regarding the whole situation, while there will always be teams that can't afford to do Scioly for a season due to the predicament we are in, I find it fortunate that some students at least get some opportunity with the systems SOInc put in place. This year basically nullified the idea of having in-person tournaments for a vast majority of schools, so the fact that SOInc salvaged what they could from this season is impressive, in my opinion. I'm definitely hoping that 2021 offers more opportunities for teams to return with hopefully being in-person by then, but to that, I'll knock on wood ...
The fact that everything is remote this year also means that teams that did manage to participate have been able to "attend" competitions they wouldn't be able to afford to travel to. Every cloud...
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

sciolyperson1 wrote: December 8th, 2020, 5:17 pm
Unome wrote: December 8th, 2020, 12:21 pm Trends from other states are showing about 20-30% participation rate compared to past years.
Is this figure just for GA, or an average across all states? I've seen 115 PA C teams registered, compared to the typical ~200 or so, which is around 60%. pb5754 and I also counted 31 NJ C teams that registered for invies (NJ registration hasn't started, so that's the only figure that's available), compared to the ~70 we have on a typical year, totaling at over 40% without main NJ registration.
Hm I had heard smaller numbers for NJ, and I didn't know those PA numbers. Although now that I calculate more carefully, the GA numbers are actually about 40% C and 15% B (I don't know why it's so tilted). There are a lot of schools who registered and don't seem to have paid, relative to past years.
Last edited by Unome on December 8th, 2020, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Booknerd
Division: B
State: IL

Post by Booknerd »

Nydauron wrote: December 8th, 2020, 5:39 pm I'm not sure why ISO might increase the total number of bids, but what probably might happen is they will redistribute bids across regionals (as they do every season). Another decision ISO might make is to reduce the total number of state teams, which would probably only happen if there was a significant number of teams not participating. But, it's up to ISO's decision at the end of the day.
Oh i was just thinking because if it’s online they don’t have to deal with the problem of accommodating teams with rooms and all of that at state and could use that as an opportunity to invite more teams. For some reason I thought that there was another state that was doing this but now that I think about it I’m probably mistaken. And the number of bids going down makes a lot more sense the more I think about it. I guess we’ll just have to see what ISO decides.
We don't talk about Pentathlon.
Fyren
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Fyren »

Booknerd wrote: December 7th, 2020, 11:14 pm I've been hearing some rumors that there are teams who have historically competed in our region for many years that are not competing this year or haven't started up yet for this year's season. Not sure how it is with other regions in the state, although I would think there would be similar patterns. I don't want to be much of a pessimist, but I think that the team count could go down this year by even as much as a third :( although now that i think about it a third is kind of pushing it...
How many teams are normally at the CPS regional? I forgot.
Last edited by Fyren on December 8th, 2020, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VENI, VIDI, VICI.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Unome wrote: December 8th, 2020, 7:22 pm
Unome wrote: December 8th, 2020, 12:21 pm Trends from other states are showing about 20-30% participation rate compared to past years.
Is this figure just for GA, or an average across all states? I've seen 115 PA C teams registered, compared to the typical ~200 or so, which is around 60%. pb5754 and I also counted 31 NJ C teams that registered for invies (NJ registration hasn't started, so that's the only figure that's available), compared to the ~70 we have on a typical year, totaling at over 40% without main NJ registration.
Hm I had heard smaller numbers for NJ, and I didn't know those PA numbers. Although now that I calculate more carefully, the GA numbers are actually about 40% C and 15% B (I don't know why it's so tilted). There are a lot of schools who registered and don't seem to have paid, relative to past years.
I don't believe any figures for NJ are out yet, the 31 div C NJ teams figure came from compiling teams that registered for invitationals.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CookiePie1 »

sciolyperson1 wrote: December 8th, 2020, 8:18 pm

I don't believe any figures for NJ are out yet, the 31 div C NJ teams figure came from compiling teams that registered for invitationals.
There are a good amount of NJ teams that compete at regionals and states but don't go to invitationals
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

CookiePie1 wrote: December 8th, 2020, 8:38 pm

There are a good amount of NJ teams that compete at regionals and states but don't go to invitationals
Yes. What I'm saying is that there's likely going to be far more than 31 teams, perhaps into the 70s or even more than previous years due to the team cap of 1 per school.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

sciolyperson1 wrote: December 8th, 2020, 10:03 pm
CookiePie1 wrote: December 8th, 2020, 8:38 pm

Yes. What I'm saying is that there's likely going to be far more than 31 teams, perhaps into the 70s or even more than previous years due to the team cap of 1 per school.
Ah, that's true - I forgot about how low on tournament space at regionals NJ usually is. It's possible that there will be quite a lot of teams.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pb5754 »

Notably, this does not include teams that registered for PUSO, the only invitational in NJ, and no other invitationals, as PUSO has yet to publicly release a team list.
These users thanked the author pb5754 for the post:
sciolyperson1 (December 10th, 2020, 3:22 pm)
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th

Return to “2021 Regionals & States”