North Carolina 2021

Post by gz839918 »

New season, new adventures!

Virtual coaches' clinic - October 3

Invitational tournaments

NCSO Invitational - December 5
Piedmont Invitational (canceled) - January 23
Duke University Science Olympiad (mini SO) - January 30

As always, teams registered with North Carolina Science Olympiad are allowed to compete in any invitational tournaments across the nation.

Regional tournaments

There are now only six regionals, which will occur simultaneously on two days: February 20 and March 6. Approximately half of all events will occur on February 20, and the remaining half will occur on March 6. Teams have the option of submitting a video by February 27 for Ping Pong Parachute. Teams may choose between Satellite SO and Mini SO by filling out the Regional Tournaments form emailed to them.

Charlotte
Northeast
Raleigh
Southeast
Triad
West

State tournament

North Carolina State University (virtual) - April 23-24

New for this year
  • North Carolina has begun observing a 15-student limit per team instead of the previous 18-student limit.
  • To accommodate for the continued presence of COVID-19, North Carolina will follow a modified set of events. The NCSO Invitational, all regional tournaments, and state tournament will use these changes.
    • Tournaments will run neither flight events nor Detector Building.
    • Mission Possible and Ping Pong Parachute will be trial events.
    • All official tournaments will run Codebusters (B), Picture This (B/C), Fast Facts (trial B/C), Mystery Architecture (trial B/C). Additional fun events may (tentatively) be run as well!
  • The Wonder Challenge has been replaced with monthly Bite Size SO social media challenges. Prize packs for winners!
Last edited by gz839918 on January 24th, 2021, 6:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
These users thanked the author gz839918 for the post (total 3):
sciolyperson1 (September 7th, 2020, 9:28 pm) • AstroClarinet (September 8th, 2020, 5:25 am) • azboy1910 (September 14th, 2020, 12:31 pm)
AstroClarinet
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: North Carolina 2021

Post by AstroClarinet »

More info announced today:
-Virtual Coaches Clinic on Oct. 3
-Regionals will follow the Mini or Satellite model, & will be held Feb. 20 & Mar. 6. Regional schedules & events announced.
-NCSO Invitational will be held virtually on Dec. 5. Registration opens & info comes out on Oct. 5. Limit of 20 Div. B & 20 Div. C teams.
-FAQ released for the season.
https://ncscienceolympiad.ncsu.edu/tou ... dle-high/
These users thanked the author AstroClarinet for the post (total 3):
sciolyperson1 (September 14th, 2020, 1:42 pm) • azboy1910 (September 14th, 2020, 2:36 pm) • gz839918 (September 14th, 2020, 6:38 pm)
AstroClarinet's Userpage
Nats: Remote sensing 3rd 2x, Astronomy 6th, Cell Bio 3rd
 Astro, Genes, Water, DigiStructures, Solar System, Boomi, Density, Eco, Optics, Towers, Microbe, Mission Possible
dhairyaa123
Has thanked: 0

Post by dhairyaa123 »

Hi so regarding the regional events do we need to study for makeup events? I know we have 14 events to study for but would we need to study for the makeups also? I would like to know as we need to prepare groups for partners in the events and it is very difficult during the COVID pandemic.

Thank You!
Last edited by dhairyaa123 on September 15th, 2020, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

dhairyaa123 wrote: September 15th, 2020, 5:13 pm Hi so regarding the regional events do we need to study for makeup events? I know we have 14 events to study for but would we need to study for the makeups also? I would like to know as we need to prepare groups for partners in the events and it is very difficult during the COVID pandemic.

Thank You!
What do you mean by "makeups"? Do you mean the alternate/replacement events?
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
dhairyaa123

Post by dhairyaa123 »

So there is these events on Feburary 20th:
Time Period Event
9:15 AM 1 Chem Lab
9:15 AM 1 Designer Genes
9:15 AM 1 Dynamic Planet
10:30 2 Forensics
10:30 2 Fossils
10:30 2 WIDI
10:30 2 Fast Facts (trial)
11:45 3 Anatomy & Physiology
11:45 3 Astronomy
11:45 3 Circuit Lab
11:45 3 Fermi Questions
Self Schedule Periods 1-3 Gravity Vehicle
Self Schedule
Written test for all at 1pm Sounds of Music

And then there is makeup events on March 6th. If there is tech problems which are:

Time Period Event
9:15 AM 1 Machines
9:15 AM 1 Protein Modeling
9:15 AM 1 Water Quality
10:30 2 Experimental Design
10:30 2 Geologic Mapping
10:30 2 Mystery Architecture (trial)
11:45 3 Codebusters
11:45 3 Disease Detectives
11:45 3 Ornithology
Deadline for submission 9 AM, March 6 Boomilever (SkyCiv)
Self Schedule Picture This

My question is if we have to study for the events in bold since they are just makeup tests? It was confusing because I am not sure if the region will run into problems and if they do we cant study for all those events in a period of 16 days approximately.

Thank You!
Last edited by dhairyaa123 on September 15th, 2020, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author dhairyaa123 for the post:
sciolyperson1 (September 15th, 2020, 8:06 pm)
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

dhairyaa123 wrote: September 15th, 2020, 6:51 pm So there is these events on Feburary 20th:
Time Period Event
9:15 AM 1 Chem Lab
9:15 AM 1 Designer Genes
9:15 AM 1 Dynamic Planet
10:30 2 Forensics
10:30 2 Fossils
10:30 2 WIDI
10:30 2 Fast Facts (trial)
11:45 3 Anatomy & Physiology
11:45 3 Astronomy
11:45 3 Circuit Lab
11:45 3 Fermi Questions
Self Schedule Periods 1-3 Gravity Vehicle
Self Schedule
Written test for all at 1pm Sounds of Music

And then there is makeup events on March 6th. If there is tech problems which are:

Time Period Event
9:15 AM 1 Machines
9:15 AM 1 Protein Modeling
9:15 AM 1 Water Quality
10:30 2 Experimental Design
10:30 2 Geologic Mapping
10:30 2 Mystery Architecture (trial)
11:45 3 Codebusters
11:45 3 Disease Detectives
11:45 3 Ornithology
Deadline for submission 9 AM, March 6 Boomilever (SkyCiv)
Self Schedule Picture This

My question is if we have to study for the events in bold since they are just makeup tests? It was confusing because I am not sure if the region will run into problems and if they do we cant study for all those events in a period of 16 days approximately.

Thank You!
Sounds interesting. It looks like to me as if all the events are being run, and they are splitting up events between two different dates? If this is the case, then yes you shoudl study for the "makeup" events.
These users thanked the author sciolyperson1 for the post:
gz839918 (September 16th, 2020, 6:49 am)
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
AstroClarinet

Post by AstroClarinet »

dhairyaa123 wrote: September 15th, 2020, 5:13 pm Hi so regarding the regional events do we need to study for makeup events? I know we have 14 events to study for but would we need to study for the makeups also? I would like to know as we need to prepare groups for partners in the events and it is very difficult during the COVID pandemic.

Thank You!
If you want to skip events, then I would skip only the events marked as trial events (Fast Facts, Bottle Rocket, & Mystery Architecture), because those are the only events not counted in your team score.
Last edited by AstroClarinet on September 16th, 2020, 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
AstroClarinet's Userpage
Nats: Remote sensing 3rd 2x, Astronomy 6th, Cell Bio 3rd
 Astro, Genes, Water, DigiStructures, Solar System, Boomi, Density, Eco, Optics, Towers, Microbe, Mission Possible
dhairyaa123

Post by dhairyaa123 »

Also, the makeup events don't count unless you run into a problem and have to take them as a replacement. I have discussed with the NC Coordinator and she has made it clear that we only have to study for the events on February 20th but once we run into issues then we will need to study for the makeup events.

The message I received: "Study for the regular events. If something happens and you can't take the test that day, then you can worry about studying for a makeup test."

That closes the question and tells us that we don't have to worry about studying for the events in bold unless we run into something on test day.
Last edited by dhairyaa123 on September 16th, 2020, 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author dhairyaa123 for the post:
sciolyperson1 (September 16th, 2020, 6:57 am)
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

dhairyaa123 wrote: September 16th, 2020, 6:25 am Also, the makeup events don't count unless you run into a problem and have to take them as a replacement. I have discussed with the NC Coordinator and she has made it clear that we only have to study for the events on February 20th but once we run into issues then we will need to study for the makeup events.

The message I received: "Study for the regular events. If something happens and you can't take the test that day, then you can worry about studying for a makeup test."

That closes the question and tells us that we don't have to worry about studying for the events in bold unless we run into something on test day.
Hey there, awesome to see another face from North Carolina! (well, not really "see" but you know...)

As I understand so far, all events listed in the PDF will be run—both the ones for February 20 and for March 6. So, you'll notice that Chemistry Lab appears in the February 20 list but not on the March 6 list; Designer Genes appears on the first list but not the second, and so forth. Conversely, you'll see that Machines appears on the March 6 list but not the February 20 list; Protein Modeling appears on the second list but not the first, and so forth. In this way, each date has a set of distinct events, so if you run into issues with Designer Genes in February, there is no makeup time on the schedule for March 6. (Also, running a makeup would require writing both a regular test and a makeup test, and I don't know any writers who've been asked to write more than one tests for a regional event.) When you asked your question, did you ask Kim Gervase, or your regional coordinator? I'm meeting with Kim today, and if there was a miscommunication somewhere, I can ask her to clarify.
These users thanked the author gz839918 for the post:
AstroClarinet (September 16th, 2020, 10:25 am)
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
dhairyaa123

Post by dhairyaa123 »

Hi thank you I discussed with Ms.Kim Gervase and communicating virtually is very difficult. It would be wonderful if you could clarify this issue as we need to assign events to different people soon so we can prepare for the December invitational. It has been very confusing because I am unsure if we need to study for these makeup events because if we do we won't know until February 20th because thats when we will run into errors and that means that we will have approximately only 3 weeks to study for them. I know what makeup events are and why they are there but I am unsure if we have to study for them because we don't know if we will run into errors. I hope you understand what I mean and if not I can clarify.

I am looking at the following PDF: https://ncscienceolympiad.ncsu.edu/wp-c ... hedule.pdf

If you could just give me a certain and official list of events that I can make the team study for it would help. So I don't get confused between makeup and regular events.
Last edited by dhairyaa123 on September 16th, 2020, 7:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “2021 Regionals & States”