EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Pennsylvania 2021

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

nendawen wrote: January 21st, 2021, 10:00 pm Division B will have 36 teams (18 from each of the two regions). The top 10 in each region will be designated AAA teams and are competing for medals and trophies and to see who goes to Nationals. The remaining 8 teams in each region will be designated AA teams and are competing for their own set of medals and trophies.

Division C will have 50 teams (12 from each of 3 regions and the SE region gets 14). The top 7 teams (9 in SE) will be designated AAA teams and are competing for medals and trophies and to see who goes to Nationals. The remaining teams in each region will be designated AA teams and are competing for their own set of medals and trophies.
These users thanked the author EastStroudsburg13 for the post:
MorningCoffee (February 26th, 2021, 6:23 am)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Giantpants
State: NY

Post by Giantpants »

MorningCoffee wrote: February 25th, 2021, 2:29 pm So does anyone know how many teams will be making it to states this year, since they are combining regionals?
As per an email from the state director to coaches on January 20th, States will have 36 teams for division B and 50 for division C. I don't believe there have been any updates or edits to this since it was put out, but given how the season has been going, I'd be prepared for any sort of change, ya know?

EDIT: oof this is embarrassing, didn't see East already replied to the post since it was on a new page... Oops. Sorry lol
Last edited by Giantpants on February 25th, 2021, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Giantpants for the post:
MorningCoffee (February 26th, 2021, 6:23 am)
Haverford College, Class of 2024!
Former President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

Events I'm Writing in 2023: Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals
Events I've Written in Years Past: Geologic Mapping, Remote Sensing
Giantpants's Userpage
MorningCoffee
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by MorningCoffee »

An email to coaches from PASO regarding time outside of browser during the Scilympiad Test for regionals:

There is no penalty for teams being outside the browser in Scilympiad. Some teams may be using communication apps on the same computer (like Zoom) because they do not have more than one device. We cannot penalize teams for that. If you think the time outside the browser is excessive, contact me and I will contact the coach to discuss the issue.

So, I cannot express how much I hate this, because this will create a completely unfair and a basically open internet test. Especially considering this is a real tournament, counting towards states, I can't believe that most invitationals were more fair. You don't even need to click out of the browser to continually talk in Zoom, just as long as you have the mic open. I'm just very mad and disappointed that this will be happening DDDD:
Events 2023-2024:
uhh we'll find out let me apply to college first

orch dork forever
hot chocolate is best drink c:
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I get where PASO is coming from. Having access to multiple devices at once is not a luxury that every team has. The state board's job is to make regional tournaments as accessible as they possibly can, so it's not surprising to me that they are allowing time outside of the browser.

That said, I do wish it was easier to check for potential cheating. I don't know if it'd be possible to have specific "permissible applications" that someone could use while taking the test. Overall, though, it's just an unfortunate tradeoff that the state board has to make.
These users thanked the author EastStroudsburg13 for the post:
Unome (March 12th, 2021, 11:03 am)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
nendawen
Has thanked: 0

Post by nendawen »

That is not what it says....

There are consequences. Do not go outside the browser.

You can open zoom, google meet it teams, before you start the test if you only have 1 device. Do not leave the browser.
MorningCoffee
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by MorningCoffee »

nendawen wrote: March 12th, 2021, 9:35 pm That is not what it says....

There are consequences. Do not go outside the browser.

You can open zoom, google meet it teams, before you start the test if you only have 1 device. Do not leave the browser.
Yes, they very recently changed this
Events 2023-2024:
uhh we'll find out let me apply to college first

orch dork forever
hot chocolate is best drink c:
nendawen

Post by nendawen »

That has been the rule since the fall. I believe they recently defined the consequence, but the rule dates way back.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

It's easy to screw up by mistake, though (like the time our coach accidentally closed the breakout rooms in the team zoom in the middle of a test), and anyone with two devices can google on the other one, so I don't think that "time outside the browser" really measures much.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 2:27 pm I don't know if it'd be possible to have specific "permissible applications" that someone could use while taking the test.
This doesn't help you with people with two devices.
nendawen

Post by nendawen »

A second device is allowed. Copying and pasting is not.

If you have a Computer issue or the breakout room drops there is a notification process to the state director.

Return to “2021 Regionals & States”