New York 2021

snowyowl
Division: C
State: NY

Re: New York 2021

Post by snowyowl »

The full list of Divison C State Tournament qualifying teams is up! There will be 68 teams; found at this link: https://newyorkscioly.org/wp-content/up ... -List.xlsx

Other information can be found on newyorkscioly.org

Special congratulations to Half Hollow Hills East, for deservedly qualifying for states despite some weird disqualification stuff.
These users thanked the author snowyowl for the post (total 2):
sciolyperson1 (April 4th, 2021, 9:32 pm) • NadiaT (April 9th, 2021, 6:43 am)
Syosset High School '24
2023 Events: Dynamic Planet, Forestry, Rocks and Minerals
caitlinwithaC
Division: Grad
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by caitlinwithaC »

If you don't want to download the spreadsheet, here's the important part:

Anyone who did download the spreadsheet: what's up with the second page?
These users thanked the author caitlinwithaC for the post:
sciolyperson1 (April 4th, 2021, 9:35 pm)
I came here to answer a poll about Girl Scout cookies and stayed for the vibes.

FPMHS '21
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

gneissisnice wrote: March 25th, 2021, 4:33 pm
vye904 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 3:48 pm Eastern Long Island Division C:
1. Hauppauge
2. Ward Melville (3 DQS)
3. Bayport-Blue Point
4. Port Jeff (3 DQS)
5. Half Hollow Hills West (4 DQS)
6. Bay Shore (3 DQS)
7. Smithtown West (1 DQ)
8. Smithtown East (3 DQS)

Note: It looks like there were a number of blank submissions resulting in participation points in addition to disqualifications. Half Hollow Hills East was disqualified in 6 events, preventing their advancement to states. Hopefully, they release some clarification about DQs to all teams before states.
I'm from HHH, and I can confirm that we did not submit blank answer sheets, the competitors all checked and double checked that their file format was correct, and some of the events that we were DQed in were submitted the exact same way as events that we were not. Most of our competitors came to the school to work with their partners where they were supervised, there was absolutely no cheating going on. I'm incredibly disappointed and angry that our kids that worked really hard only to not even find out how they did and cost us states for the first time in a long time, especially when they did nothing wrong. I hope we get some answers about why we were DQed in our events.
Congrats on qualifying! Must be a huge relief; hopefully a similar situation does not occur with states.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
scispork

Post by scispork »

Here is a States Prediction form made by ArStar for those who are interested: https://forms.gle/bGUHqbHTzAW2L18n7
These users thanked the author scispork for the post:
NadiaT (April 9th, 2021, 6:44 am)
2021 NYS Results
2022 NYS Results - 2022 Needed: Regional Adirondack, Regional Lower Hudson, Regional Southern Tier
2023 NYS Results - 2023 Needed: Regional Lower Hudson
ArStar
Has thanked: 0

Post by ArStar »

scispork wrote: April 5th, 2021, 4:32 pm Here is a States Prediction form made by ArStar for those who are interested: https://forms.gle/bGUHqbHTzAW2L18n7
This ArStar fella sounds pretty nifty
These users thanked the author ArStar for the post (total 3):
NadiaT (April 9th, 2021, 6:44 am) • Giantpants (April 9th, 2021, 8:23 pm) • legitimately (April 10th, 2021, 2:10 pm)
shadow19

Post by shadow19 »

ArStar wrote: April 7th, 2021, 9:56 pm
scispork wrote: April 5th, 2021, 4:32 pm Here is a States Prediction form made by ArStar for those who are interested: https://forms.gle/bGUHqbHTzAW2L18n7
This ArStar fella sounds pretty nifty
true fill out the form ples
NadiaT

Post by NadiaT »

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! Be proud of all your hard work this season! I'll miss seeing you guys, but it'll still be fun to unite over science once more. :D :geek: :idea: <3

Special thank you to the NYSSO officials who made sure this season happened despite COVID!
These users thanked the author NadiaT for the post (total 3):
drcubbin (April 9th, 2021, 8:04 am) • scispork (April 9th, 2021, 8:20 am) • syo_astro (April 9th, 2021, 9:57 am)
Fayetteville Manlius High School
Class of 2022
20-21 Events: Disease Detectives, Water Quality
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

NadiaT wrote: April 9th, 2021, 6:51 am Good luck to everyone tomorrow! Be proud of all your hard work this season! I'll miss seeing you guys, but it'll still be fun to unite over science once more. :D :geek: :idea: <3

Special thank you to the NYSSO officials who made sure this season happened despite COVID!
Same good luck to everyone competing!! Not sure I can do anything to say hi to people but uh...at least forums to chat and such still!
These users thanked the author syo_astro for the post:
NadiaT (April 10th, 2021, 10:11 am)
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by gneissisnice »

sciolyperson1 wrote: April 4th, 2021, 9:35 pm
gneissisnice wrote: March 25th, 2021, 4:33 pm
vye904 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 3:48 pm Eastern Long Island Division C:
1. Hauppauge
2. Ward Melville (3 DQS)
3. Bayport-Blue Point
4. Port Jeff (3 DQS)
5. Half Hollow Hills West (4 DQS)
6. Bay Shore (3 DQS)
7. Smithtown West (1 DQ)
8. Smithtown East (3 DQS)

Note: It looks like there were a number of blank submissions resulting in participation points in addition to disqualifications. Half Hollow Hills East was disqualified in 6 events, preventing their advancement to states. Hopefully, they release some clarification about DQs to all teams before states.

I'm from HHH, and I can confirm that we did not submit blank answer sheets, the competitors all checked and double checked that their file format was correct, and some of the events that we were DQed in were submitted the exact same way as events that we were not. Most of our competitors came to the school to work with their partners where they were supervised, there was absolutely no cheating going on. I'm incredibly disappointed and angry that our kids that worked really hard only to not even find out how they did and cost us states for the first time in a long time, especially when they did nothing wrong. I hope we get some answers about why we were DQed in our events.
Congrats on qualifying! Must be a huge relief; hopefully a similar situation does not occur with states.
Thank you! It was such a relief, and our students gave it their all today. We can't wait to find out how we did, but I'm just grateful we had a chance to continue. Apparently one issue is that many of our students were using Preview on Macs, and that pdf reader left some artifacts that made the state people think we used other programs or did something weird to the files. We had assumed that Preview would be fine, since it's the default pdf viewer for Mac, but for States we made sure that everyone had access to Adobe Reader instead.

Hope everyone had a fun day, can't wait to see the results!
These users thanked the author gneissisnice for the post:
sciolyperson1 (April 11th, 2021, 7:12 am)
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
scispork

Post by scispork »

Congratulations to everyone who competed, and may your hard work over this wacky season (during which it was very hard to stay motivated, at least for me) pay off on Wednesday. I love you all <3 and good luck!
These users thanked the author scispork for the post (total 4):
Giantpants (April 10th, 2021, 6:27 pm) • shadow19 (April 10th, 2021, 6:29 pm) • sciolyperson1 (April 11th, 2021, 7:13 am) • thegroundsloth (April 11th, 2021, 4:42 pm)
2021 NYS Results
2022 NYS Results - 2022 Needed: Regional Adirondack, Regional Lower Hudson, Regional Southern Tier
2023 NYS Results - 2023 Needed: Regional Lower Hudson

Return to “2021 Regionals & States”