2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

User avatar
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 232
Joined: January 19th, 2014, 6:31 pm
Division: Grad
State: -
Location: Studying for Ento

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Postby SOnerd » April 24th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Nats2019 wrote:
SOnerd wrote:Anyone know what's up with teams not receiving residence/dining hall assignments until they arrive? That's what an email I got today said would be the case, but I'd like to know our building assignments before the trip (even if it's much later than now, like after the portal closes in mid-May) unless there's a logistical reason on Housing & Dining's end why that cannot happen.


Teams will actually be getting their residence hall assignments on a rolling basis based on when they send in their final roster (naming who will be staying on campus and who wants to share rooms). The wording in the email may have been mistaken in that regard. Solving the puzzle of how to fit nearly 2,000 people in the residence halls most efficiently will take some time, but teams will definitely get their assignments before check-in!

Sounds good, thanks for the clarification!
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page

Chiweenie
Member
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: December 24th, 2018, 12:58 pm
Division: B
State: NY

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Postby Chiweenie » April 25th, 2019, 9:09 am

What day will the trial events be held?

Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 576
Joined: February 17th, 2017, 10:46 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: Somewhere in the known or unknown universe

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Postby Anomaly » April 25th, 2019, 9:11 am

Chiweenie wrote:What day will the trial events be held?

im fairly sure that they’re held the friday
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 5
Events:
Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Disease Detectives, Write It Do It

User avatar
Nats2019
Tournament
Posts: 21
Joined: March 23rd, 2019, 2:51 pm

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Postby Nats2019 » April 25th, 2019, 11:05 am

Chiweenie wrote:What day will the trial events be held?


A Friday schedule with Trials and Oldies but Goodies events is now up on our website! Click on "Tournament Event Schedule" or "Event Information"!
2019 Science Olympiad National Tournament - Cornell University
Official Tournament Account
http://www.scienceolympiad2019.org

User avatar
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Posts: 586
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 4:58 pm
Division: B
State: GA

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Postby rfscoach » April 25th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Nats2019 wrote:
Chiweenie wrote:What day will the trial events be held?


A Friday schedule with Trials and Oldies but Goodies events is now up on our website! Click on "Tournament Event Schedule" or "Event Information"!

Both div B oldies for teams 1-20 are in the same time block. Is there a reason 1-20 have to do them at the same time while 21-60 have staggered blocks?

If you just flip flop teams 1-20 and teams 21-40 in What are You Trying to Tell Me slots , then none of the B Trials and Oldies times conflict for any team...
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

User avatar
isotelus
Member
Member
Posts: 87
Joined: May 23rd, 2018, 6:32 pm
Division: B
State: TX

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Postby isotelus » April 25th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Nats2019 wrote:
A Friday schedule with Trials and Oldies but Goodies events is now up on our website! Click on "Tournament Event Schedule" or "Event Information"!

On the website and in the rules, it says "Sci Quiz Bowl"; however, on the schedule it calls it SciTech Bowl. Are they the same thing and is there any relevance to this, or is it just a mistake?
'19 Season: Fossils, ELG, Solar System
'19 Nationals: Parasitology (1st), Sci Quiz Bowl (10th), WAYTTTM (7th)

User avatar
sciolyperson1
Member
Member
Posts: 388
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Postby sciolyperson1 » April 25th, 2019, 2:50 pm

isotelus wrote:
Nats2019 wrote:
A Friday schedule with Trials and Oldies but Goodies events is now up on our website! Click on "Tournament Event Schedule" or "Event Information"!

On the website and in the rules, it says "Sci Quiz Bowl"; however, on the schedule it calls it SciTech Bowl. Are they the same thing and is there any relevance to this, or is it just a mistake?


I'm pretty sure it's referenced either way (Science Quiz Bowl, SciTech Bowl)
HSN '22

Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Team (Nats) - 3rd '18, '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17


'17: Scrambler - Towers - Mission
'18: Buggy - Towers - WIDI
'19: Buggy - Roller - Mystery - Boomi
'20: Gravity - Boomi - PPP - Detector? - Wright? - WIDI?

User avatar
isotelus
Member
Member
Posts: 87
Joined: May 23rd, 2018, 6:32 pm
Division: B
State: TX

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Postby isotelus » April 25th, 2019, 6:01 pm

sciolyperson1 wrote:
isotelus wrote:
Nats2019 wrote:
A Friday schedule with Trials and Oldies but Goodies events is now up on our website! Click on "Tournament Event Schedule" or "Event Information"!

On the website and in the rules, it says "Sci Quiz Bowl"; however, on the schedule it calls it SciTech Bowl. Are they the same thing and is there any relevance to this, or is it just a mistake?


I'm pretty sure it's referenced either way (Science Quiz Bowl, SciTech Bowl)

Ok, thanks for the clarification
'19 Season: Fossils, ELG, Solar System
'19 Nationals: Parasitology (1st), Sci Quiz Bowl (10th), WAYTTTM (7th)

User avatar
Galahad
Member
Member
Posts: 223
Joined: January 22nd, 2018, 11:28 pm
Division: B
State: HI
Location: Somewhere in the Pacific Ocean

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Postby Galahad » April 25th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Does anybody know if "Name That Artifact" will have a list?
Farewell Division B! Time to get yeeted in C.

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-??

Proud DMAH Member

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad

User avatar
kate!
Member
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Almost Ward Melville HS, i guess

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Postby kate! » April 27th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Hey um I'm not sure where to post this but they posted the team numbers map for this year at https://www.soinc.org/snapshots/national-member-map
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
I'm planning to learn stuff about oceanography, fossils, and more water, yay for the third time!

Frost0125
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: February 14th, 2019, 1:40 pm
Division: B
State: NC

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Postby Frost0125 » April 28th, 2019, 11:25 am

Hello!
My team just qualified for Nationals for the first time. We're complete newbies, so I was wondering if anyone can give me an overview of things we should know for Nationals.
I make horrible science puns, but only periodically 8-)
2018 events: Ecology, Dynamic Planet, Write it, Do it
2019 events: Dynamic Planet, Amazing Mechatronics(NC only), Game On (out of NC)

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 583
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Contact:

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Postby MadCow2357 » April 28th, 2019, 11:26 am

Frost0125 wrote:Hello!
My team just qualified for Nationals for the first time. We're complete newbies, so I was wondering if anyone can give me an overview of things we should know for Nationals.

I'd start by taking a look at the national website:
https://www.scienceolympiad2019.org/

Any specific questions you might have?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle
Considering: Fossils, Machines, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
234.36
#BalsaManForever

Frost0125
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: February 14th, 2019, 1:40 pm
Division: B
State: NC

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Postby Frost0125 » April 28th, 2019, 11:39 am

MadCow2357 wrote:
Frost0125 wrote:Hello!
My team just qualified for Nationals for the first time. We're complete newbies, so I was wondering if anyone can give me an overview of things we should know for Nationals.

I'd start by taking a look at the national website:
https://www.scienceolympiad2019.org/

Any specific questions you might have?

Thank you, the website is very helpful!
I make horrible science puns, but only periodically 8-)
2018 events: Ecology, Dynamic Planet, Write it, Do it
2019 events: Dynamic Planet, Amazing Mechatronics(NC only), Game On (out of NC)

User avatar
Nats2019
Tournament
Posts: 21
Joined: March 23rd, 2019, 2:51 pm

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Postby Nats2019 » April 29th, 2019, 9:42 am

rfscoach wrote:
Nats2019 wrote:
Chiweenie wrote:What day will the trial events be held?


A Friday schedule with Trials and Oldies but Goodies events is now up on our website! Click on "Tournament Event Schedule" or "Event Information"!

Both div B oldies for teams 1-20 are in the same time block. Is there a reason 1-20 have to do them at the same time while 21-60 have staggered blocks?

If you just flip flop teams 1-20 and teams 21-40 in What are You Trying to Tell Me slots , then none of the B Trials and Oldies times conflict for any team...


Our mistake! There will be no conflicts for any trial or oldies event! The schedule will be updated today - the two time slots were just flipped by accident!
2019 Science Olympiad National Tournament - Cornell University
Official Tournament Account
http://www.scienceolympiad2019.org

User avatar
Galahad
Member
Member
Posts: 223
Joined: January 22nd, 2018, 11:28 pm
Division: B
State: HI
Location: Somewhere in the Pacific Ocean

Re: 2019 National Tournament: Cornell University

Postby Galahad » April 29th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Nats2019 wrote:
rfscoach wrote:
Nats2019 wrote:
A Friday schedule with Trials and Oldies but Goodies events is now up on our website! Click on "Tournament Event Schedule" or "Event Information"!

Both div B oldies for teams 1-20 are in the same time block. Is there a reason 1-20 have to do them at the same time while 21-60 have staggered blocks?

If you just flip flop teams 1-20 and teams 21-40 in What are You Trying to Tell Me slots , then none of the B Trials and Oldies times conflict for any team...


Our mistake! There will be no conflicts for any trial or oldies event! The schedule will be updated today - the two time slots were just flipped by accident!


Is there a list for Name That Artifact?
Farewell Division B! Time to get yeeted in C.

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-??

Proud DMAH Member

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad


Return to “Nationals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests