Way Too Early Predictions

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

Re: Way Too Early Predictions

Postby TheChiScientist » February 2nd, 2019, 9:26 pm

DontWorryAboutIt wrote:I have to say the Illinois teams, New Trier and Adlai E. Stevenson look quite strong based on the Solon results.

I second this. I wouldn't be surprised if both IL teams place in top 15 at Nats this year.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019
Medal Count:30 8-)
Background In
Boomilever,Code Busters,Exp Design, Thermo, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Fermi

School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

sciolyperson1
Division: B
State: NJ

Postby sciolyperson1 » February 2nd, 2019, 9:38 pm

On the Div. b side, Springhouse looks a bit stronger(?) Solon did good as well, but they lost due to bombs. I'm curious as to how Solon will do at Cornell...
Community MS (NJ) Captain

4Head
Division: C
State: KY

Postby 4Head » February 8th, 2019, 2:15 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:
DontWorryAboutIt wrote:I have to say the Illinois teams, New Trier and Adlai E. Stevenson look quite strong based on the Solon results.

I second this. I wouldn't be surprised if both IL teams place in top 15 at Nats this year.

I wouldn’t be surprised if both placed top 8

Rivkaaa
State: NY

Postby Rivkaaa » February 8th, 2019, 3:44 pm

sciolyperson1 wrote:On the Div. b side, Springhouse looks a bit stronger(?) Solon did good as well, but they lost due to bombs. I'm curious as to how Solon will do at Cornell...

Yeah, they seem to really be stacking! However, it may have just been a small mistake on Solon's side. Regardless, it's exciting to see the results of Harvard and Cornell.
2018 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Microbe Mission
2019 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Water Quality
Bay Academy

sciolyperson1

Postby sciolyperson1 » February 8th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Rivkaaa wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:On the Div. b side, Springhouse looks a bit stronger(?) Solon did good as well, but they lost due to bombs. I'm curious as to how Solon will do at Cornell...

Yeah, they seem to really be stacking! However, it may have just been a small mistake on Solon's side. Regardless, it's exciting to see the results of Harvard and Cornell.

Harvard Invy won't show much, it's just Springhouse and Bay

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » February 8th, 2019, 5:09 pm

sciolyperson1 wrote: Harvard Invy won't show much, it's just Springhouse and Bay

I’m hurt... though tbh you are right in disregarding Gallagher. But Coolidge and Old Lyme are also going, if I remember correctly as well as some other well performing teams.
MadCow2357's Userpage
2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Fossils, Roller Coaster, Thermodynamics
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
#BalsaManForever

sciolyperson1

Postby sciolyperson1 » February 8th, 2019, 6:06 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote: Harvard Invy won't show much, it's just Springhouse and Bay

I’m hurt... though tbh you are right in disregarding Gallagher. But Coolidge and Old Lyme are also going, if I remember correctly as well as some other well performing teams.

I'll rephrase that: You guys will do well, but knowing them, I'd expect Springhouse to sweep a good portion of the events.

whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby whythelongface » February 9th, 2019, 9:09 pm

pb5754[] wrote:Either way, South beat North by just one point, so it's pretty much impossible to accurately predict the winner at this point, especially given that both UCC ran 14 (I think) events out of 24/25 (23 regular events + 1/2 trials, which ARE counted in NJ :roll:). I would put off NJ predictions at least until after PUSO.

So it's now officially post-PUSO, and while the optimistic part of me thinks South will win, North was not stacked. South has a lot of slack to pick up if they hope to win States this year, considering North's impressive performance with non-stacked teams.
pb5754[] wrote:Actually, now that I think about it, I'm betting on JP Stevens because the team that came 3rd at UCC won states each of the last 2 years... :P

/s
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Good luck to WW-P South at Nationals!

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » February 10th, 2019, 6:47 am

whythelongface wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:Either way, South beat North by just one point, so it's pretty much impossible to accurately predict the winner at this point, especially given that both UCC ran 14 (I think) events out of 24/25 (23 regular events + 1/2 trials, which ARE counted in NJ :roll:). I would put off NJ predictions at least until after PUSO.

So it's now officially post-PUSO, and while the optimistic part of me thinks South will win, North was not stacked. South has a lot of slack to pick up if they hope to win States this year, considering North's impressive performance with non-stacked teams.
pb5754[] wrote:Actually, now that I think about it, I'm betting on JP Stevens because the team that came 3rd at UCC won states each of the last 2 years... :P

/s

Was North not stacked at Princeton? I thought they were since they only had one team, did they send a second elsewhere or something?
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

bromothymol

Postby bromothymol » February 10th, 2019, 6:56 am

Unome wrote:Was North not stacked at Princeton? I thought they were since they only had one team, did they send a second elsewhere or something?

according to what I know, North was not stacked and registered too late to send two teams since Princeton only allowed the first 8 teams that registered to send a B team.

Crimesolver
State: CA

Postby Crimesolver » February 10th, 2019, 8:45 pm

I don’t know how Solon is doing, but they might win 1st. Troy during regionals didn’t medal in quite a few events, which is concerning since they’re Troy.
Current Events
R/S
Crime Busters 3rd/14th
Thermodynamics 4th/10th
Circuit Lab 4th/9th
Potions and Poisons 5th/3rd
Battery Buggy what a failure/7th

Keep on going :!:

pb5754[]

Postby pb5754[] » February 10th, 2019, 8:47 pm

Crimesolver wrote:I don’t know how Solon is doing, but they might win 1st. Troy during regionals didn’t medal in quite a few events, which is concerning since they’re Troy.

Yes, but doesn't Troy generally send their B team to regionals?

Crimesolver
State: CA

Postby Crimesolver » February 10th, 2019, 8:53 pm

pb5754[] wrote:
Crimesolver wrote:I don’t know how Solon is doing, but they might win 1st. Troy during regionals didn’t medal in quite a few events, which is concerning since they’re Troy.

Oh welp, didn’t know that until now. Do they like stash away Team A until nationals or something?
Current Events
R/S
Crime Busters 3rd/14th
Thermodynamics 4th/10th
Circuit Lab 4th/9th
Potions and Poisons 5th/3rd
Battery Buggy what a failure/7th

Keep on going :!:

4Head
State: KY

Postby 4Head » February 11th, 2019, 3:15 am

Crimesolver wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:

Oh welp, didn’t know that until now. Do they like stash away Team A until nationals or something?

Their regionals didn’t allow them to send a team elsewhere so their better team might have competed

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » February 11th, 2019, 5:40 am

4Head wrote:
Crimesolver wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:Yes, but doesn't Troy generally send their B team to regionals?

Their regionals didn’t allow them to send a team elsewhere so their better team might have competed

Could have been either. In 2017 their B team won regionals with 70-something points, while this year I think they were somewhere in the 60s.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “Nationals”